follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-15-2019, 04:41 PM   #71
alan.chalkley
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: bluebrz
Location: Sydney / Australia
Posts: 379
Thanks: 97
Thanked 116 Times in 72 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway7 View Post
Yes it's a relatively simple "4 cylinder engine" but it's also in a boxer configuration that isn't nearly as simple as a regular inline 4, that the average tech won't have experience on. I would argue that a boxer 4 is more complex than an i6 despite 2 less cylinders.



With pressure from superiors and time restrictions in addition to human error, it is realistic to assume that mistakes will be made during the recall as evident by others already complaining of new CEL, new noise, and seized engines that did not exist prior to bringing in their car.



If you're going to talk the talk, then walk the walk. Simple as that.
When the "talented senior techs" succeed at performing a routine oil change service without ******* up the car , then they might be ready to replace valve springs.
So when they arrive at this level of expertise , i might consider taking my car in for the recall
alan.chalkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:39 PM   #72
maslin
New Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Location: Oregon
Posts: 61
Thanks: 1
Thanked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan.chalkley View Post
When the "talented senior techs" succeed at performing a routine oil change service without ******* up the car , then they might be ready to replace valve springs.
So when they arrive at this level of expertise , i might consider taking my car in for the recall
Most oil changes go to the 19 year old kid who was washing cars 2 weeks ago. Engine tear downs aren't going to the same guy. I always make sure to include a line or two of electrical/driveability diagnosis when I take my cars in for service, ensures they'll go to someone with a bit of experience.

It isn't hard to build an engine. Follow the instructions, use the special tools and don't break shit. Pretty much sums up the entire line of work.

When you drop the valvebody on a 7 speed Benz transmission there's two parts you have to line up. A drain tube and the shift sensor. There are two service bulletins, don't forget the drain tube, and don't forget the shift sensor. That means multiple people failed to do so.

Follow the instructions. Engines don't blow themselves up.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:32 AM   #73
alan.chalkley
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: bluebrz
Location: Sydney / Australia
Posts: 379
Thanks: 97
Thanked 116 Times in 72 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
Most oil changes go to the 19 year old kid who was washing cars 2 weeks ago. Engine tear downs aren't going to the same guy. I always make sure to include a line or two of electrical/driveability diagnosis when I take my cars in for service, ensures they'll go to someone with a bit of experience.

It isn't hard to build an engine. Follow the instructions, use the special tools and don't break shit. Pretty much sums up the entire line of work.

When you drop the valvebody on a 7 speed Benz transmission there's two parts you have to line up. A drain tube and the shift sensor. There are two service bulletins, don't forget the drain tube, and don't forget the shift sensor. That means multiple people failed to do so.

Follow the instructions. Engines don't blow themselves up.
My three sons are experts at blowing up engines and crashing cars , so i don't let them near brz.
But they take the camry,corolla and zooki.
Also when my cars are at the workshop i request no wash,vacuum or test drive (just more opportunity for damage).
alan.chalkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM   #74
lupindub
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Drives: Scion FR-S
Location: Michigan
Posts: 282
Thanks: 224
Thanked 93 Times in 48 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
This might be a dumb question but do they replace your engine oil after doing the valve spring recall?
lupindub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM   #75
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq
 
bcj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Location: pnw
Posts: 2,408
Thanks: 1,622
Thanked 1,824 Times in 1,014 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Yep. The coolant and A/C gas too.
Everything has to be drained to pull the block so they can flip it around to work on each bank of cylinders.

Pretty sure they leave the window wash fluid. They'll charge extra if you ask them to drain that.
__________________
--
"I gotta rock." -- Charley Brown
bcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM   #76
lupindub
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Drives: Scion FR-S
Location: Michigan
Posts: 282
Thanks: 224
Thanked 93 Times in 48 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
Yep. The coolant and A/C gas too.
Everything has to be drained to pull the block so they can flip it around to work on each bank of cylinders.

Pretty sure they leave the window wash fluid. They'll charge extra if you ask them to drain that.
Wow i'm glad I asked. Was about to change my oil before taking it in for the recall but I guess not.
lupindub is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
valve spring issue? nikitopo Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 864 02-15-2019 06:23 AM
Broken Valve Spring sybrite Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 45 11-02-2018 04:20 AM
Valve spring swap rcmf5525 Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 6 05-19-2018 03:12 PM
GSC FA20 Valve Spring Kits MAPerformance Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 41 07-20-2015 10:22 AM
Skunk2 Dual Valve Spring and Titanium Retainers limitedblkwrx Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 0 01-05-2015 12:12 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.