follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-15-2019, 04:41 PM   #71
alan.chalkley

Drives: bluebrz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway7 View Post
Yes it's a relatively simple "4 cylinder engine" but it's also in a boxer configuration that isn't nearly as simple as a regular inline 4, that the average tech won't have experience on. I would argue that a boxer 4 is more complex than an i6 despite 2 less cylinders.

With pressure from superiors and time restrictions in addition to human error, it is realistic to assume that mistakes will be made during the recall as evident by others already complaining of new CEL, new noise, and seized engines that did not exist prior to bringing in their car.

If you're going to talk the talk, then walk the walk. Simple as that.
When the "talented senior techs" succeed at performing a routine oil change service without ******* up the car , then they might be ready to replace valve springs.
So when they arrive at this level of expertise , i might consider taking my car in for the recall
alan.chalkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:39 PM   #72
maslin
New Guy

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan.chalkley View Post
When the "talented senior techs" succeed at performing a routine oil change service without ******* up the car , then they might be ready to replace valve springs.
So when they arrive at this level of expertise , i might consider taking my car in for the recall
Most oil changes go to the 19 year old kid who was washing cars 2 weeks ago. Engine tear downs aren't going to the same guy. I always make sure to include a line or two of electrical/driveability diagnosis when I take my cars in for service, ensures they'll go to someone with a bit of experience.

It isn't hard to build an engine. Follow the instructions, use the special tools and don't break shit. Pretty much sums up the entire line of work.

When you drop the valvebody on a 7 speed Benz transmission there's two parts you have to line up. A drain tube and the shift sensor. There are two service bulletins, don't forget the drain tube, and don't forget the shift sensor. That means multiple people failed to do so.

Follow the instructions. Engines don't blow themselves up.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:32 AM   #73
alan.chalkley

Drives: bluebrz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
Most oil changes go to the 19 year old kid who was washing cars 2 weeks ago. Engine tear downs aren't going to the same guy. I always make sure to include a line or two of electrical/driveability diagnosis when I take my cars in for service, ensures they'll go to someone with a bit of experience.

It isn't hard to build an engine. Follow the instructions, use the special tools and don't break shit. Pretty much sums up the entire line of work.

When you drop the valvebody on a 7 speed Benz transmission there's two parts you have to line up. A drain tube and the shift sensor. There are two service bulletins, don't forget the drain tube, and don't forget the shift sensor. That means multiple people failed to do so.

Follow the instructions. Engines don't blow themselves up.
My three sons are experts at blowing up engines and crashing cars , so i don't let them near brz.
But they take the camry,corolla and zooki.
Also when my cars are at the workshop i request no wash,vacuum or test drive (just more opportunity for damage).
alan.chalkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM   #74
lupindub

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
This might be a dumb question but do they replace your engine oil after doing the valve spring recall?
lupindub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM   #75
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 1,824 Times in 1,014 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Yep. The coolant and A/C gas too.
Everything has to be drained to pull the block so they can flip it around to work on each bank of cylinders.

Pretty sure they leave the window wash fluid. They'll charge extra if you ask them to drain that.
Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM   #76
lupindub

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
Yep. The coolant and A/C gas too.
Everything has to be drained to pull the block so they can flip it around to work on each bank of cylinders.

Pretty sure they leave the window wash fluid. They'll charge extra if you ask them to drain that.
Wow i'm glad I asked. Was about to change my oil before taking it in for the recall but I guess not.
lupindub is offline   Reply With Quote