follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-11-2016, 04:57 PM   #15
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I think you can get pretty close to 250hp to the crank without tearing into the engine. With the right exhaust pieces, intake on E85 and some cold air (eg. 50*f ambient temps) I've seen people put down about 210WHP. That's pretty close to 250 crank.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:05 PM   #16
proffesorGLIVE

Drives: Euro GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks guys!

@TelMinz I will check out ace header for sure. And you got the whole point of my post

So you guys say that the header+tune should be enough. and if I can score some e85 even better. Thats cool as this is what I thought. What about front pipe and its cat. Should I even bother to replace it with a hf catted pipe? and is someone running a 2.25in setup with good results? Supersprint and Japspeed exhaust are 2.25inch. I am asking cuz I can get a good deal on those specific headers. On the table are also HKS super manifold, tomei el and skunk2 all of them catless all of them 2.5in. between fore mentioned headers which one does the community recommend for my needs? Vote for Ace header if is truly so awesome but I have to find a dealer and a price for EU before I add it to the list of this stressful exhaust purchase :P

Last edited by proffesorGLIVE; 06-11-2016 at 06:16 PM.
proffesorGLIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:20 PM   #17
Spartarus
...Just add nauseum

Drives: 2003 (AP1) S2000
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by proffesorGLIVE View Post
Thanks guys!

@TelMinz I will check out ace header for sure. And you got the whole point of my post

So you guys say that the header+tune should be enough. and if I can score some e85 even better. Thats cool as this is what I thought. What about front pipe and its cat. Should I even bother to replace it with a hf catted pipe? and is someone running a 2.25in setup with good results? Supersprint and Japspeed exhaust are 2.25inch. I am asking cuz I can get a good deal on those specific headers. On the table are also HKS super manifold, tomei el and skunk2 all of them catless all of them 2.5in. between fore mentioned headers which one does the community recommend for my needs? Vote for Ace header if is truly so awesome but I have to find a dealer and a price for EU before I add it to the list of this stressful exhaust purchase :P

I agree with everybody else's assessment. ACE Headers are the way to go. Get a drop-in panel filter. Tune the thing, and call it a day. It'll change your outlook on the car.

Now, to answer your question, leave the stock midpipe. There's no appreciable gains to be had unless the car is turbocharged.

Benefits of keeping it include sound and smell. The midpipe goes a long way toward keeping the car sounding vaguely civilized if you swap the catback.

CSG is the only euro dealer. They're a US dealer that ships worldwide. That's it.

In any case, 250 BHP NA is a noble goal for the FA20, but it wasn't built for that. The FA20 does not make good NA power.

Just a note, the ACE option is worth a few WHP over any other EL on the market, and the area under the torque curve is substantially better.

If she dips below 4000 RPM on those roads, you're driving her wrong.

There are many ways to displace.

-Spartarus
Spartarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:22 AM   #18
TelMinz
Rotary for the win

Drives: BRZ, FD3S RX7
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartarus View Post
I agree with everybody else's assessment. ACE Headers are the way to go.
If she dips below 4000 RPM on those roads, you're driving her wrong.
Is that with the ace header? Mine doesn't feel really punchy until like 4300-4400 with a Borla EL headers, full exhaust, and a JMS racing Ecutek tune. Just curious, wondering if mine is normal compared to others lol
Old 06-12-2016, 09:07 AM   #19
proffesorGLIVE

@Spartarus

Yeah I like to drive it hard but safe...er. That's why I don't wand fi because I could not use the whole potential of the power. So I guess Ace is the way to go. Also the price is not that bad if it performs well. So Ace header+op and optionally milltek resonated cat back for the tone. And tune of course. I already have K&N drop in filter and I was surprised of its effect. Thanks guys. I know it was one of those exhaust questions again but I just couldn't decide.. I kept going in circles :P Later I will post some pics of my ginger rocket.. Yeah! thats what I call her I will also install 10row oil cooler and catch can and some intake and radiator hoses for the look and upgraded materials. Whats your thoughts on pulleys for a spirited NA? worth it/not worth it?
Old 06-12-2016, 11:20 AM   #20
Spartarus
...Just add nauseum

Drives: 2003 (AP1) S2000
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelMinz View Post
Is that with the ace header? Mine doesn't feel really punchy until like 4300-4400 with a Borla EL headers, full exhaust, and a JMS racing Ecutek tune. Just curious, wondering if mine is normal compared to others lol
Not related to the ACE powerband, just a comment about driving it hard on those beautiful roads.

Quote:
@Spartarus

Yeah I like to drive it hard but safe...er. That's why I don't wand fi because I could not use the whole potential of the power. So I guess Ace is the way to go. Also the price is not that bad if it performs well. So Ace header+op and optionally milltek resonated cat back for the tone. And tune of course. I already have K&N drop in filter and I was surprised of its effect. Thanks guys. I know it was one of those exhaust questions again but I just couldn't decide.. I kept going in circles :P Later I will post some pics of my ginger rocket.. Yeah! thats what I call her I will also install 10row oil cooler and catch can and some intake and radiator hoses for the look and upgraded materials. Whats your thoughts on pulleys for a spirited NA? worth it/not worth it?
Awesome.

Flywheel before pulleys. The change in "revviness" is dramatic with a lightweight flywheel. Less so with pulleys.

There are many ways to displace.

-Spartarus
Spartarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:19 PM   #21
proffesorGLIVE

so maybe I'll go flywheel and pulleys just for the feel factor. And let me introduce my ginger rocket to you guys. Shes very thankful for your advice and opinions.
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to proffesorGLIVE For This Useful Post:
Hawk77FT (06-13-2016), Mr.Impreza (06-13-2016), solidONE (06-12-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 05:30 PM   #22
proffesorGLIVE

And I just had the idea that could be very interesting for the community. See my fellow country man is making awesome exhaust. Hes name is Akrapovic. I think you know who he is. I will call them tomorrow just to sniff around if they would make a custom header for me. I know it could be pricey but I'll see where I land. It would be cool to have their exhaust on gt86 I am an optimistic person and it doesn't hurt to ask. Hell maybe they have a good day and it all aligns somehow haha I'll let you know.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:48 PM   #23
TelMinz
Rotary for the win

Drives: BRZ, FD3S RX7
Garage
Very nice 86 sir!
Old 06-12-2016, 06:56 PM   #24
Hawk77FT

Drives: GTS 86
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I will put in my two cents. I think you need to decide first: how you want to use the car (track, mountain runs, street, etc), and then based on that modify the car accordingly. I had few headers on my car but I have changed because my driving needs changed too. I had HKS catted and couple of others but even though I felt good power above 7000rpm I was never satisfied with the torque. Up until I came across ACE. B250 was perfect combo between torque and power and loved it...then I tried CS400 which will deliver buckets of torque and some really good gains across the power band. Couple that with E85 and you will be more than happy.
2.5 is more than enough...if you go SC then get the 2.75" front pipe and cat back!

Hope this helps.
Hawk77FT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:21 PM   #25
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
And I just had the idea that could be very interesting for the community. See my fellow country man is making awesome exhaust. Hes name is Akrapovic. I think you know who he is. I will call them tomorrow just to sniff around if they would make a custom header for me.
I wouldn't. There are a lot of headers out there; some are really effective, some are not. If they have the time to go through a lot of computer sims and four or five design iterations with tuning and testing each one, you could probably end up with a solid product. But just slapping some primary tubes together onto a collector and calling it good will not give you a decent result.

Now, if you wanted them to make you a cat-back, sure. Akropovic has a very signature sound, and it would be interesting to see how that works on these cars.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:40 PM   #26
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
I'd suggest against changing the pulleys. There's not much to be gained and you may end up losing some power. Though, if you dont mind losing some pwer and reliability for some engine bling, have at it.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ghlight=pulley

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:52 AM   #27
proffesorGLIVE

@gramicci101

Yeah I just got off the phone with Akrapovic. They said that unfortunately they dont have plan for gt86 not even in 2017/18. And they don't do custom stuff. So Ace will do

@Hawk77FT

I know what I want. Spirited daily with 2/3 time a year drift session on a drift course. So nothing racy. And you are another one for the Ace. This is the club sport header we are talking about from Ace right?

@solidONE

I see. So no bling before performance/reliability for me.. Thats good. It's cheaper hehe

Thanks everybody . I am happy with your answers and help. From my side it's decided. I got the answers I needed. Tomorrow I will meet with my tuner and see if he can help me import Ace for cheaper being a company. I will post results later this summer cuz more graphs=better.
I might do a build thread for sporty dd suspension later this year if anybody is interested. If i ever feel underpowered I can always throw in a small low-mounted,low psi turbo

But for the sake of my original question if any debate is even logical, Are diameters carefully calculated or is it sort of "standard" dimension?. Why not diameters like 2.4 inch or 2.37 inch or something like that. maybe that 0.003 inch is what makes some big difference in a gas flow or something?
The Following User Says Thank You to proffesorGLIVE For This Useful Post:
Hawk77FT (06-13-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 06:09 AM   #28
Hawk77FT

Drives: GTS 86
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Yep, Cs400 is what you need .

To answer your question, the majority of steel pipes comes in 2.5, 2.75 and 3"...so to have anything custom will not make any sense financially for any exhaust maker.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk
Hawk77FT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk77FT For This Useful Post:
proffesorGLIVE (06-13-2016)

Tags
exhaust, header