follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #407
Burrcold

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,586 Times in 776 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad86 View Post
Where can we order the 86 floormats? It is a must to rid everything that visibly shows Scion...
You'll have to get a new headunit as well if you want to get rid of all the Scion badges.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #408
Jegan_V

Drives: 2023 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I believe the Monogram Series is supposed to be even more limited than the 10 Series...
2014 FR-S
I hope they don't limit these more than the Series 10s which I recall was only 2500 cars, since that would suck for anybody who couldn't in essence pre-order the car. Its not a worry for me because I'm the first order through my dealer and at this point Toyota Canada knows I'm interested. Still, this should just be available as a trim level throughout the car's life cycle unless it sells really really badly.
Jegan_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #409
Saber_TRD

Drives: '09 Cobalt SS Turbo
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I think this is as close to the real GT86 we will get except for small items being added year by year. I think we're just lucky to get this car period. Just buy it and 86 it by adding fogs and GT86 badges and call it a day. In Ireland this car costs $40,000 so you won't hear me complaining!
I think they'll continue making these "special editions" adding a bit here and a bit there instead of matching us to the rest of the world and that is the game I hate that they are playing.

I was willing and expecting to pay close to $40k as I'm in Canada and that's about what I paid for my TRD Celica in 2003.

I tried to get the parts from Toyota but they basically told me to go fuck myself. I was more than willing to do a conversion, I did so with my old Cavalier (yes there was a Toyota Cavalier), but not after the way the company has been acting lately. I'm also the one who made the post (in my sig) of what you need to do a conversion to an GT or GT Limited from an FR-S.

I also wouldn't be complaining if I was in Ireland as it's a proper Toyota with everything from day one. Not the case in North America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
My thoughts:

-Fog lights will surely be a dealer option (they already are)
-86mm exhaust tips failed the US regs for some reason, doubt we'll see these
-Badging. The steering wheel 'Scion' and floormat 'FR-S' will stay. This isn't a Toyota 86, it's a Scion FR-S. And the red 86 fender badge is ugly, I like my silver one.
-Install your own brake pads, like any other enthusiast would on any sports car. Come on. Furthermore, the economy brake pads suit 99.99% of buyers. The car definitely needs better pads, but that's a TRD-type accessory.
-Full red interior? I will simply say that is not to my taste, and there's probably a good reason they don't offer it stateside (no one would buy it).
-2014 cars get the knee pads
-the armrest is an armrest...regardless I don't want it. I put stuff in my center console all the time anyway.
-Trunk lid liner is worthless. It's a waste of weight and personally, I like to see my naked trunk.
-This is the one point I agree with you on, haha--the top spec FR-S should have the extra lights like the BRZ does.
The fog lights have "been" a dealer option since two months after the car was released yet you mysteriously can't get them.

The 86mm exhaust tip is a joke as people have imported them, they simply screw onto the existing exhaust. There shouldn't BE anything to fail an emissions test. This "failed the test" excuse is what they used for the frameless mirror, oh wait, that's on this thing. Isn't that interesting.

As for the badgeing, why put an 86 logo on the car at all then? hmm? It's also a Toyota/Subaru everywhere else not a Scion. It wasn't meant to be a Scion, ever. You also clearly have no idea what you're talking about with you saying the "red one is ugly, I like my silver one" They're both silver, the difference is that one has black accenting and the other is red. It differentiates an 86 RC and 86 G, from an 86 GT and 86 GT Limited.
Red and silver
Black and silver

Pads are a stock option, should still be available here. That's the point. I shouldn't have to. Am I capable of doing it myself? Yes. That's not the point. You also defeated your own point by saying the car needs better pads.

It's not a full red interior, it's accented.... Click They also did that with the last gen Celica, mine happens to be a blue interior but they offered a red as well. It does sell. Other manufactures do this with their cars as well, it's not new, people like it, it sells.

Trunk lid cover is worthless and a waste of weight? HA! Especially after your comment about the brakes. HA! Seriously, that things weight won't make a difference and it looks far better, plus it's sound deadening. Extra quality.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #410
Burrcold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber_TRD View Post
I think they'll continue making these "special editions" adding a bit here and a bit there instead of matching us to the rest of the world and that is the game I hate that they are playing.

I was willing and expecting to pay close to $40k as I'm in Canada and that's about what I paid for my TRD Celica in 2003.

I tried to get the parts from Toyota but they basically told me to go fuck myself. I was more than willing to do a conversion, I did so with my old Cavalier (yes there was a Toyota Cavalier), but not after the way the company has been acting lately. I'm also the one who made the post (in my sig) of what you need to do a conversion to an GT or GT Limited from an FR-S.

I also wouldn't be complaining if I was in Ireland as it's a proper Toyota with everything from day one. Not the case in North America.

The fog lights have "been" a dealer option since two months after the car was released yet you mysteriously can't get them.

The 86mm exhaust tip is a joke as people have imported them, they simply screw onto the existing exhaust. There shouldn't BE anything to fail an emissions test. This "failed the test" excuse is what they used for the frameless mirror, oh wait, that's on this thing. Isn't that interesting.

As for the badgeing, why put an 86 logo on the car at all then? hmm? It's also a Toyota/Subaru everywhere else not a Scion. It wasn't meant to be a Scion, ever. You also clearly have no idea what you're talking about with you saying the "red one is ugly, I like my silver one" They're both silver, the difference is that one has black accenting and the other is red. It differentiates an 86 RC and 86 G, from an 86 GT and 86 GT Limited.
Red and silver
Black and silver

Pads are a stock option, should still be available here. That's the point. I shouldn't have to. Am I capable of doing it myself? Yes. That's not the point. You also defeated your own point by saying the car needs better pads.

It's not a full red interior, it's accented.... Click They also did that with the last gen Celica, mine happens to be a blue interior but they offered a red as well. It does sell. Other manufactures do this with their cars as well, it's not new, people like it, it sells.

Trunk lid cover is worthless and a waste of weight? HA! Especially after your comment about the brakes. HA! Seriously, that things weight won't make a difference and it looks far better, plus it's sound deadening. Extra quality.
The exhaust tips were not brought to NA because of safety (burn) concerns, not emissions testing.

And you're crazy if you would be willing to pay $40k for this car. I bought the same '03 TRD GT-S as you back in 2003, and it was overpriced (then and looking back).
Old 11-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #411
Saber_TRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
The exhaust tips were not brought to NA because of safety (burn) concerns, not emissions testing.

And you're crazy if you would be willing to pay $40k for this car. I bought the same '03 TRD GT-S as you back in 2003, and it was overpriced (then and looking back).
Burn concerns? First I've heard that but it makes sense in a horrible, nanny state, kind of way. Seriously, I've seen more "burn hazzard" worthy exhausts than what those tips can cause. Still sad.

I wouldn't pay $40k for the Scion, heck I haven't even paid the price they're currently asking and I won't. Had it been a Toyota 86 GT Limited with all the options, I would have been all over that.

Looking back, the fact that I still have the Celica and it's in amazing condition and hasn't given me any major troubles, it was money well spent. If you break it down (it's been long paid for) but over 11 years of having it that works out to about 3636.36 a year at the $40k price (think mine was actually $38k). Yeah, I could have bought a beater and tossed it every year or I had a good car that I enjoy driving for 11 years. Maybe more. Depends on how long you keep the car around.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #412
Burrcold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber_TRD View Post
Burn concerns? First I've heard that but it makes sense in a horrible, nanny state, kind of way. Seriously, I've seen more "burn hazzard" worthy exhausts than what those tips can cause. Still sad.

I wouldn't pay $40k for the Scion, heck I haven't even paid the price they're currently asking and I won't. Had it been a Toyota 86 GT Limited with all the options, I would have been all over that.

Looking back, the fact that I still have the Celica and it's in amazing condition and hasn't given me any major troubles, it was money well spent. If you break it down (it's been long paid for) but over 11 years of having it that works out to about 3636.36 a year at the $40k price (think mine was actually $38k). Yeah, I could have bought a beater and tossed it every year or I had a good car that I enjoy driving for 11 years. Maybe more. Depends on how long you keep the car around.
Gotcha. I thought you were saying that you would gladly pay $40k for the Monogram FR-S. In all honesty, I couldn't believe that I was paying so much for the TRD GT-S way back when, but Canadian pricing was so crazy then compared to US pricing that it almost seemed reasonable (hence why I bought a 2000 Celica when they first came out at almost $40k as well, and a 3rd 7th gen '03 TRD GT a few years after the TRD GT-S that still cost me a pretty penny).

And yup, burn concern. The thinking is that the tips stick out too much and could heat up and burn a passer-by. Ridiculous of course.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:31 PM   #413
Saber_TRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Gotcha. I thought you were saying that you would gladly pay $40k for the Monogram FR-S. In all honesty, I couldn't believe that I was paying so much for the TRD GT-S way back when, but Canadian pricing was so crazy then compared to US pricing that it almost seemed reasonable (hence why I bought a 2000 Celica when they first came out at almost $40k as well, and a 3rd 7th gen '03 TRD GT a few years after the TRD GT-S that still cost me a pretty penny).

And yup, burn concern. The thinking is that the tips stick out too much and could heat up and burn a passer-by. Ridiculous of course.
Heck no. I was actually complaining that Toyota was offering this model now and not at the start and how Moto-P was claiming it was for those who wanted a Limited and how it doesn't come close to a Limited.

All I have to say, in addition to the burn thing is.... *sigh* If you're stupid enough to come that close to a running vehicles exhaust, you deserve to be burned.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #414
killerkid08
Cool Stuff

Drives: Cool Car
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem53 View Post
Who got shafted? Who wants options that don't really add anything but cost and some frivolous amenities.. The beauty and value of this car lies in its simplicity..
Many on here bought the FRS for that reason.. Bells and whistles and "monogram" BS are all developed by marketing.. All the important engineering and Performance aspects are already there... That is where the value of this car is for myself and for many others.. I don't feel shafted in the slightest.. I'm glad I was able to get all the performance without having to pay for options and junk I would never use or care about.. Manufacturers keep adding options and sub models so they can raise the price... When they come out with a model that provides more performance without gobs of useless shit... That would be something worth looking into..
thats a good point, but the idea isn't adding useless junk, its building additional value. Yes we know we have a great performance platform, but we don't just want a platform. We also would like something with the likeness toward something built in the last 10 years.
killerkid08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #415
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerkid08 View Post
thats a good point, but the idea isn't adding useless junk, its building additional value. Yes we know we have a great performance platform, but we don't just want a platform. We also would like something with the likeness toward something built in the last 10 years.
Additional value... For what? So you can have individual automatic climate control and necessary items like that.. Or maybe badges that light up, not having to use a key? Maybe some find value in those things.. But I do not.
I had all that crap in my last few cars.. Never cared for it or used half the crap.. Had no choice since it was part of a package.. So for me, not having this useless stuff and not having to pay for it is added value for me..
Added value would be a track package, factory oil cooler, larger radiator,
Brake package, REAL gauges, etc.. Not a dual automatic climate control system and other fluff.
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #416
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monogram View Post
My needs are different than yours. I will be commuting daily, I will have reps with me on occasion (dual zone climate control), not having to pull keys out of your pocket is a nice touch (nice, not necessary), HID headlights are fantastic compared to the yellow old halogen's, and the car is a commuter, not a race car.

The Monogram is ideal for my needs... hence multiple packages for different segments of the population.
Great car to ferry reps around in... !
To each their own... I'm just glad I was able to get a sports car without
these goodies..
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #417
Chad86
DrivinginDreams...Cloud86

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
I think the extra features are a good thing. Adding more to the feel of it being a higher end car. For example, leather heated seats... Not necessary, but gives the car a more upscale or sophisticated look and feel. Not just a cheap civic or some other lower end car.

Last edited by Chad86; 11-24-2013 at 01:22 PM. Reason: typo
Chad86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #418
Snowblind
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
I tried to pre-order one, or get any information on it from my local dealer and got no where.
Snowblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #419
Snowblind
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monogram View Post
I pulled into a Toyota dealer driving my Baja Edition, and they asked me who built it.
Okay? Are you going to inform us how you were able to order one, or keep posting cryptic messages? It's a Toyota..not some top secret limited edition Ferrari.
Snowblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:05 PM   #420
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowblind View Post
Okay? Are you going to inform us how you were able to order one, or keep posting cryptic messages? It's a Toyota..not some top secret limited edition Ferrari.
Now, Snowblind, if you're not nice, he may not show you any pictures when he gets his "classified" version ....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
add lightness, add profit, brzlimited owners laugh@u, classified, dm:hfrs, fordwashere, fr-s monogram, hip-no wanko, i<3wut.u.do4me.toyota!lol, imnotatlibertytosay, iphone marketing strategy, lexus wannabe package, make sure its a monogram, msrp = 30k, overpriced, pretendthatimaslug, proofdealersdontgetit, scion monogram series, scumbagtoyota, stillnobrzremorse.yet, stillnoturbo, trollyota