follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List
timurrrr

Old 07-21-2022, 08:47 PM   #57
toeout

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
In fairness to the dealer they do need to look at ALL the possibilities including over revs. Money shifts do kill engines! Usually right away and not at a couple of hundred RPM like you did but still.

So at this point it is not confirmed yours is sealant related even though it is high (lily top) on the list of probabilities. Just hope that if they find any they are honest about it.

Ordering a short block and reusing heads in not a great indicator it wasn't over rev. Could easily do bottom end damage and not touch the heads.
Correct, not confirmed that the sealant was the reason. I do hope they will tell me the actual reason. I was thinking of showing up at the dealer and asking to see the engine, but I'm not positive they will accommodate.
toeout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toeout For This Useful Post:
gcmak (07-21-2022), Tcoat (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 08:49 PM   #58
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toeout View Post
Correct, not confirmed that the sealant was the reason. I do hope they will tell me the actual reason. I was thinking of showing up at the dealer and asking to see the engine, but I'm not positive they will accommodate.
Take doughnuts
toeout (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 08:53 PM   #59
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,325 Times in 7,383 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petah78 View Post
Actually, would an oil pressure gauge give you early warnings signs?
As long as you have a baseline to compare to, yes. Though it would be a bit of an annoyance. Believe me, it still freaks me out to see mine go into single digit under lateral load even though I have had the gauge in my car for years.
Petah78 (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 09:07 PM   #60
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
As long as you have a baseline to compare to, yes. Though it would be a bit of an annoyance. Believe me, it still freaks me out to see mine go into single digit under lateral load even though I have had the gauge in my car for years.
Also much easier to check an oil gauge on a track when you know you are in conditions where it may drop than merging on a highway ramp with the little old lady that may slam on her brakes for no reason ahead of you and the Mustang driver that wants to pass you both on the shoulder if given the slightest chance coming up from behind.
The problem here is that it could starve at 80 or 5mph. Hell it could go while idling in your driveway before you even touched the gas. You would literally have to be staring at the gauge all the time you are driving. If you drove exactly the same all the time you might, just might, notice a gradual decrease in pressure but that would take some serious concentration.
NoHaveMSG (07-21-2022), Petah78 (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 09:18 PM   #61
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Also much easier to check an oil gauge on a track when you know you are in conditions where it may drop than merging on a highway ramp with the little old lady that may slam on her brakes for no reason ahead of you and the Mustang driver that wants to pass you both on the shoulder if given the slightest chance coming up from behind.
The problem here is that it could starve at 80 or 5mph. Hell it could go while idling in your driveway before you even touched the gas. You would literally have to be staring at the gauge all the time you are driving. If you drove exactly the same all the time you might, just might, notice a gradual decrease in pressure but that would take some serious concentration.
If I was that worried about it I would try to scope it, or just pull the pan off after the first or second oil change. Having to look at a gauge all the time in fear would ruin it for me.
Tcoat (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 09:27 PM   #62
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
If I was that worried about it I would try to scope it, or just pull the pan off after the first or second oil change. Having to look at a gauge all the time in fear would ruin it for me.
EXACTLY!
Taking the pan off does pose a risk of them saying "you messed with it" if you are worried about warranty though.

If there are a number of failures I would think a TSB would be issued and then the dealer can check but that means some sacrificial lambs to get to that point.

But...
There never was any form of acknowledgment when the early 13s kept spinning bearings (pre recall) so maybe a TSB is optimistic.
NoHaveMSG (07-21-2022), soundman98 (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 09:33 PM   #63
RippedManiac
Jedi

Drives: Pikachu BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
In my area there are a few 22 GR86 and BRZs used. All under or around 10000 km. Couldnt wrap my head around why they would trade so early.
RippedManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 09:40 PM   #64
Petah78

Drives: 2022 BRZ sport-tech
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toeout View Post
They have not told me the actual reason yet.

The day that I dropped it off, they did some kind of ECU check and said that the car had been ridden hard, many rev limit instances and also an overrev event at 7900 rpm 2000 miles before the engine failure.

The dealer told me that Toyota will fix it this time under warranty, but will not the second time under similar circumstances. Basically telling me that I caused the failure with the overrev.

This was all before they even removed the engine from the car. The fact that they ordered a short block and will re-use the heads is pretty telling that the overrev had nothing to do with it.
Please do keep us apprised when you find out. It will be interesting to know the reason.
Past: 92 EG w/JDM B18C, 00 EK w/JDM B18C, 04 600RR, 97 ITR #421, 10 Acura CSX-S, 17 BRZ
Current: 22 BRZ, 00 S2K - #0220
Petah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 11:15 PM   #65
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Certainly makes you want to check.

How much/long/difficult is it to get in there and take a look and put it back together?
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 11:41 PM   #66
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blighty View Post
Certainly makes you want to check.

How much/long/difficult is it to get in there and take a look and put it back together?

If you had to pull the pan? Probably around 4 hours R&R in the car.
Blighty (07-24-2022)
Old 07-22-2022, 12:39 AM   #67
LRNAD90

Drives: X5 35d, D90, CX-5 Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RippedManiac View Post
In my area there are a few 22 GR86 and BRZs used. All under or around 10000 km. Couldnt wrap my head around why they would trade so early.
Cause Carvanna and Carmax would pay 5,6,8 grand over the msrp the original owners just bought them for..
LRNAD90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LRNAD90 For This Useful Post:
Teseo (07-22-2022)
Old 07-22-2022, 09:48 AM   #68
Spektyr

Drives: GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Take doughnuts
This. Depending on how your dealership/service center is laid out it's usually pretty easy to walk in on the service side and talk to people who know which end of the wrench to hold. If you get there early-ish in the morning with a big box of donuts - doesn't matter if they're expensive or cheap, really - "just to say thanks" to the guys working on your car you'll make a lot of friends.

Should be simple to ask a few questions and such from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RippedManiac View Post
Cause Carvanna and Carmax would pay 5,6,8 grand over the msrp the original owners just bought them for..
Yeah, if someone were trying to sell their car before the engine failed it'd be something super-recently sold. That's assuming A: they saw this and B: would rather sell/buy another car right now in this market than deal with a dealership service center.

In reality the driving force is two things: what was mentioned above about huge offers to buy, and the normal "I bought a car I can't afford" or "life changes" stuff that has always happened. Plenty of people buy an expensive toy, discover a few weeks later there's a new bun in the oven, and sell it to buy a minivan.
Spektyr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spektyr For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-22-2022)
Old 07-22-2022, 10:15 AM   #69
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektyr View Post
This. Depending on how your dealership/service center is laid out it's usually pretty easy to walk in on the service side and talk to people who know which end of the wrench to hold. If you get there early-ish in the morning with a big box of donuts - doesn't matter if they're expensive or cheap, really - "just to say thanks" to the guys working on your car you'll make a lot of friends.

Should be simple to ask a few questions and such from there.

Yeah, if someone were trying to sell their car before the engine failed it'd be something super-recently sold. That's assuming A: they saw this and B: would rather sell/buy another car right now in this market than deal with a dealership service center.

In reality the driving force is two things: what was mentioned above about huge offers to buy, and the normal "I bought a car I can't afford" or "life changes" stuff that has always happened. Plenty of people buy an expensive toy, discover a few weeks later there's a new bun in the oven, and sell it to buy a minivan.
I always take doughnuts after the work is done. Since I go to the same dealer they know they will be coming and take that little extra care since they now "know" me.
I had may car in for service last week and got to witness the service writer/techs worst nightmare. It was a self proclaimed "enthusiast" that came in and started to instruct the writer and techs exactly what was wrong and how they were fix it. He was so obnoxious that if it was me I would have told him to get the hell out and fix it themselves. You could just see that he was going to get the very worst work out of them due to his attitude. As car guys we tend to know more than the average person but that does not mean that we are superior to the people that do this work every single day. Is one thing to know and be able to have an intelligent conversation with them and a totally different to go in ready to do battle when no war has been declared.

The other point for people buying and then selling quickly after is that in many cases the wanting is more of a rush than the having. This is even more common with cars such as these. Go back to the early threads in this forum and see just how many of those people are still around. They often find some way to rationalize the change but it really comes down to they simply enjoy the shopping and buying more than the owning and driving. We see comments such as "I have owned 20 cars in 5 years" way more than you would with the general public. Can be all enthusiastic one day and trading for the next bigger and better thing the next.
Guff (08-13-2022)
Old 07-22-2022, 10:31 AM   #70
mpg9999

Drives: 2022 BRZ
I assume the oil pan is different from the first gen? Looks like Fel-Pro makes an oil pan gasket for the first gen. If they end up making one for the second gen it might make sense to switch to a gasket.
mpg9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mpg9999 For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (07-22-2022)

Tags
oh no not again