follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 01-16-2015, 09:06 AM   #1
JRitt

Drives: 2012 BRZ Premium WRB 6MT
Thanked 1,411 Times in 376 Posts
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
New Product: Aliant Ultralight Lithium Batteries: 3.6 lbs., 5 inches x 3 inches!

Hi Gents,
Most of you know Essex Parts Services as North America's AP Racing brakes distributor. We do more than just brakes however. Essex is now the exclusive importer and distributor of a great new lightweight battery solution, Aliant Ultralight Lithium Batteries. These batteries are manufactured in Italy and use lithium iron phosphate technology. They offer a wide range of benefits...huge weight savings, high cranking power, tiny footprint, 30 minute full recharge time, can be mounted in any position, not subject to fire, corrosion, etc. Pictures, specs, and frequently asked questions are all below, and feel free to check out our site for more details. You can also feel free to call us, PM me, or email me at any time. Thanks for looking.

The most appropriate model for BRZ/FR-S is the Aliant X4. The X4 weighs only 3.6 lbs., and is 5x3 inches! That means it will drop 26 lbs. from the nose of your car, and you can mount it just about anywhere. You can read all about it on our site.

Full Specs
Model
X4
Nominal voltage
13,2 V
Pb Equivalent Capacity
9.2 Ah
Pulse discharge current
480 A (10 s)
Cold crank amps CCA @ -20°C
400 A
Max. discharge current
280 A
Recommended charge current
12 A @ 77°F
Max. charge current
20 A @ 77°F
Life cycle
1000 cicli @ 100% D.o.d.
2000 cicli @ 80% D.o.d.
Life expectancy
up to 5-7 years
Charging voltage
14,4 V
Max. charging voltage
14,6 V
Weight
≈ 1.62 Kg or 3.6 lbs.
Dimensions [mm]
L 148mm x W 67 x H 140 or 5.82" x 2.63" x 5.51"
Ambient temperature
-22°F / +140°F [ operation and storage ]
Max. operational altitude
16,404 feet

How Do I Mount It?
We know that it can be tough to find an appropriate mounting solution for aftermarket batteries, so we came up with some awesome mounts of our own. We made them as light as possible, strong, versatile, attractive, and affordable. You can see full details on our site.

Essex Aliant X4 Battery Bottom Mount

Essex Aliant X4 Battery Side Mount

Mount Features:
Billet Aluminum Construction- 6061-T1 billet aluminum= strong, compact, and extremely lightweight
Anodized Coating- Black Type 2 anodizing ensures that your mount will look great at install, and for many years to come.
Compact Footprint- Every ounce of unnecessary material has been removed, leaving you with a mount that presents a small footprint and weighs next to nothing.
Secure Mounting- The aluminum retaining strap secures firmly to the base and is lined with a super-resilient, quick recovery foam lining to ensure the battery will not move around on the base.
Wide Array of Mounting Options- With over a dozen potential contact points, you will have no problem finding a hardware configuration to secure your mounting base to the vehicle. All hardware required to properly install your mount is included with the kit, as well as some extras, just in case.

Essex / Aliant Bottom Mount

Essex / Aliant Side Mount

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Please read the FAQ carefully, as it is very important to be aware of the Pro's and Con's of the technology in Aliant Batteries. Even a premium product such as this can disappoint an owner if the technology isn't used properly. Even though Aliant lithium batteries are made with best-in-class materials, contain UL certified cells, and are based on safe Lithium Iron Phosphate chemistry, that does not mean that they can be misused, abused, or shorted.

• Is it necessary to modify the vehicle in order to install this type of battery?
No, the Aliant battery is perfectly adapted to directly replace the current vehicle battery - either a lead battery, an AGM battery or any other lithium battery.
It depends how much it has been discharged: if the voltage is well above 8 Volts, it is sufficient to use the Aliant battery charger to fully recharge the battery. If the voltage is below 8Volts, then it is better to NOT try recharging the battery as it could be irreparably damaged. While recharging, the cells inside can overheat, and this can be dangerous.
The battery should be disconnected from your vehicle when it is not in use (it is also possible to disconnect a cable or to install a master switch for the battery / isolator). In fact, if the battery is not disconnected from the electrical circuit of the vehicle, its life cycle will reduce considerably due to current drain from the vehicle's electrical circuit. You shouldn't forget that a vehicle is never completely turned off. Even though battery maintenance is not necessary, it is IMPORTANT to disconnect the vehicle cables from the battery terminals. Otherwise the lithium battery will be TOTALLY DISCHARGED in 3-4 weeks.
Our batteries offer superior performance to the traditional lead batteries you are replacing, i.e. the motor will start faster and in a more reliable way. In practice, the cold crank amp current (CCA) of an Aliant battery is always higher than the equivalent value of the battery you are replacing, so you shouldn't expect any problems starting your car.
We cannot guarantee that it will happen this way! We can, however, assert that there are two factors that give lithium batteries an edge in this area compared to lead batteries: Limited self-discharge - the value of self-discharge is less than 0,3% per day, so a fully charged battery has up to 11 months autonomy if disconnected from the electrical circuit. A lithium battery also has better reaction to temperature vs. lead acid. However, a compatible maintainer is always recommended to protect your lithium battery.
The lithium technology we use is able to produce more current with less material compared to the chemical reaction of lead acid, thus the same cold crank amp current can be reached with less ampere per hour (Ah) - and the battery is smaller and lighter.
Because they do not contain any liquids, Aliant batteries can be installed in any position - even upside down. However, it is recommended to keep the battery away from exhaust and from other sources of high temperature in order to avoid overheating. Furthermore, ALIANT battery housings are of plastic material - comparable to those of traditional batteries - so the direct contact with metal parts that might reach temperatures of > 248°F can cause problems
All Aliant batteries have the positive terminal on the left side and it is not possible to order products with a different configuration. But this does NOT represent a limitation - the compact form and the reduced dimensions allow to install the battery turning it by 180° so that the positive terminal will be on the required side and the battery can be correctly connected to the electrical circuit of your vehicle.
• Do I need a battery maintainer for the winter period or for longer idle times?
If you disconnect the cables of your car, you do not need it. If you keep connected then YES use a maintainer.
If "low temperature" is intended as ambient temperature, i.e. temperatures of 32°F or above, there is no problem. If "low temperature" is referred to temperatures between -22°F and 32°F, you need to consider the following: MOST BATTERIES - lithium, lead, gel,... - are temperature sensitive and an important reduction of the starting capacity occurs at low temperatures. ALIANT batteries are not an exception: during a start operation in the winter we recommend to check if the battery is in good condition and at least partially charged (>75%). Start the electrical system of the vehicle and leave the dimmed headlights on for 2-3 minutes to let the battery partially heat up, then try to start the motor.
Regulations vary from country to country and state to state. Even though ALIANT batteries comply with the restrictive RoHS regulations, they are nevertheless still batteries. We recommend that you take your used up Aliant battery to your nearest battery collection and disposal center.
JRitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:37 AM   #2
mkivalex

Drives: 13 Scion FRS, 93 JDM Toyota Supra
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Easy way to drop a substantial amount of weight! I like it!
mkivalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:42 AM   #3
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
dear god

at this rate we will have batteries that create mini black holes with negative weight values.
tahdizzle (01-16-2015), wparsons (01-18-2015)
Old 01-16-2015, 12:14 PM   #4
bimmer635csi

Drives: 2013 Cayenne turbo
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
dear god

at this rate we will have batteries that create mini black holes with negative weight values.
That is the target of every EV / PHEV / FCV manufacturer right now, so batteries are moving along nicely.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:15 PM   #5
JRitt

Drives: 2012 BRZ Premium WRB 6MT
Thanked 1,411 Times in 376 Posts
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Here is a pic of the Aliant X8 next to an iPhone to show how small it is. The X4 (the one recommended for the BRZ/FR-S) is half as thick as the X8 shown below.

JRitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 03:19 PM   #6
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
Relevant:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfg34mY-0gU"]The Science of Interstellar 3 - YouTube[/ame]

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 04:20 PM   #7
LittleBlueGT

Drives: 2013 STI
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRitt View Post
The X4 (the one recommended for the BRZ/FR-S) is half as thick as the X8 shown below.
When you say recommended, you mean for a track application, or for a DD?

I kinda doubt you can bolt this battery into your DD and have it perform like the stock battery in these situations:

-leave the car for a week or two on vacation, lead acid will still have lots of power despite the parastatic draw
-start the car when it is -35F outside (which does affect some people on these forums)
-jump start the car when you (doooooh!) leave a light on and kill the battery
LittleBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:01 PM   #8
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
In regards to this:
• Do I need to do anything with the battery while my car is sitting idle?
The battery should be disconnected from your vehicle when it is not in use (it is also possible to disconnect a cable or to install a master switch for the battery / isolator). In fact, if the battery is not disconnected from the electrical circuit of the vehicle, its life cycle will reduce considerably due to current drain from the vehicle's electrical circuit. You shouldn't forget that a vehicle is never completely turned off. Even though battery maintenance is not necessary, it is IMPORTANT to disconnect the vehicle cables from the battery terminals. Otherwise the lithium battery will be TOTALLY DISCHARGED in 3-4 weeks.

Does this mean any time the car is not on? As in over night or when parked somewhere like work?

Also, what is the typical life span of a battery like this when it is not exposed to extreme conditions or operated out of what would be considered normal conditions?
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:15 PM   #9
Thorpedo
The SquadWhisperer

Drives: '13 Ultramarine FR-S (STX)
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Another question. If it is left to sit and goes below 8V static, you can't just boost the car and let the alternator charge it?

Is there an affordable Ctek option here in NA? I see the xs800 seems to be a model from the other side of the Atlantic.

On a side note... these things are exxxxxxxpensive judging by what they go for on small aircraft sites.