follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 10-12-2014, 12:54 PM   #1
HotRodPA

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OFT Issue

Hey guys,

I'm having an issue with my OFT, maybe someone has encountered this before. I went to flash my car to 2.061, I followed the on screen instructions. Once I got to the second "key on and confirm" screen after turning the ignition off, I selected okay but then it the message "key on and confirm" popped up gain. I selected okay again, and still no success, it said there is a writing a error and to try again. I've tried flashing the original file only to reach the same issue of not doing anything past the "key on and confirm" screen. I checked my connections, but it seems to not recognize that the key is on the on position. Any ideas?

Thank you,
Rod
HotRodPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:01 PM   #2
cnk

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Loose OBDII connector maybe?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:39 PM   #3
HotRodPA

It went through the whole writing process. But on the post-writing check, it stopped recognizing the key on the on position. The cable was not touched at all. Thanks for the input.

Still looking for other possible solutions.

Last edited by HotRodPA; 10-12-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:22 PM   #4
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodPA View Post
It went through the whole writing process. But on the post-writing check, it stopped recognizing the key on the on position. The cable was not touched at all. Thanks for the input.

Still looking for other possible solutions.
That weird mate,

does car still run ?

make sure you let oft do all its updates connected to computer with internet and also apply the latest template file from the oft downloads page.

make sure battery is good
all electrical stuff off in car radio a/c lights ect
dont open close doors or mess with anything during write

reload tune files into oft

if its still crook contact the oft guys
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:04 PM   #5
themajesticone

Drives: '13 UM86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey guys,

I'm having an issue with my OFT, maybe someone has encountered this before. I went to flash my car to 2.061, I followed the on screen instructions. Once I got to the second "key on and confirm" screen after turning the ignition off, I selected okay but then it the message "key on and confirm" popped up gain. I selected okay again, and still no success, it said there is a writing a error and to try again. I've tried flashing the original file only to reach the same issue of not doing anything past the "key on and confirm" screen. I checked my connections, but it seems to not recognize that the key is on the on position. Any ideas?

Thank you,
Rod
Is your key ignition turned to "ACCESSORY" by chance and not "ON" ?

JRSC C30 91 oct | JDL UEL Header | Tomei Overpipe | Milltek Front Pipe | Milltek Catback | SPL LCA v2 | FA 500 v5 Coilovers 6k/7k | SPC Front Camber Bolts | Enkei RPF1 17x9 +35 | 245/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sport
themajesticone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:45 PM   #6
HotRodPA

The OFT was updated as much as possible prior to the flashing attempt. Went and got a new battery in hopes that it was the cause, no luck still. Definitely have the ignition set to "on". I'm not sure what to try next. Contacted Shiv via pm, haven't heard anything yet. If something had occurred during the writing process then I would be able to point at something being the cause, but it was uneventful until it was done writing. I think this is about my 6th time flashing car, and no issues the past. Thanks for your help everyone, keep the ideas flowing.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:08 PM   #7
steve99
Banned

Quote:
The OFT was updated as much as possible prior to the flashing attempt. Went and got a new battery in hopes that it was the cause, no luck still. Definitely have the ignition set to "on". I'm not sure what to try next. Contacted Shiv via pm, haven't heard anything yet. If something had occurred during the writing process then I would be able to point at something being the cause, but it was uneventful until it was done writing. I think this is about my 6th time flashing car, and no issues the past. Thanks for your help everyone, keep the ideas flowing.
PM does not work to shiv

use email to him or the sales guys at openflash sales@openflashperformance.com

does the car start/run ok ?

are you running windows 8 if so have you loaded checksum patch ?
Old 10-12-2014, 09:13 PM   #8
HotRodPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
PM does not work to shiv

use email to him or the sales guys at openflash sales@openflashperformance.com

does the car start/run ok ?

are you running windows 8 if so have you loaded checksum patch ?
Thank you for the info on contacting Shiv and the openflash crew. The car does not even try to crank, kinda like a dead battery, but ruled that out with a new one. I thought that patch was around since I purchased the OFT close to a year ago, and I've been using the same computer to do all the uploading to my OFT.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:38 PM   #9
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thank you for the info on contacting Shiv and the openflash crew. The car does not even try to crank, kinda like a dead battery, but ruled that out with a new one. I thought that patch was around since I purchased the OFT close to a year ago, and I've been using the same computer to do all the uploading to my OFT.
It's hard to say what happened given the info provided. What I will need to troubleshoot is the OFT's user LOG file. To do this, connect your OFT to your laptop and run OpenFlash manager with WIFI connected. Once the OFT finishes it's updates, go to User LOG section and press start. This will take a few minute and generate a rather large file (.prolog). Please email that to me at shiv@openflashperformance.com and I an forward it to the programmers for analysis and should have some answer for you by Monday. Sorry nothing can be done before then. I'm not even at the office today and I'm even typing this on my iPhone.
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:39 PM   #10
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Yes if you already have it should be ok.

If car wont crank it sounds like write to ecu has gone bad and when it checks the checksum is finding it bad.

Did you edit any of your ROM's with romraider, or your just flashing the standard oft rom.

Do you get same issue when you flash back your stock rom
Old 10-12-2014, 10:30 PM   #11
HotRodPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Yes if you already have it should be ok.

If car wont crank it sounds like write to ecu has gone bad and when it checks the checksum is finding it bad.

Did you edit any of your ROM's with romraider, or your just flashing the standard oft rom.

Do you get same issue when you flash back your stock rom
Did edit the launch control and the ffs using ROM tuner software that used to be on the open flash website, and ofm had no issues adding them to the oft. How can the write to ecu be fixed? I just hope the ecu didn't get bricked... That would not be a good day thanks again for your useful insight.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:39 PM   #12
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Did edit the launch control and the ffs using ROM tuner software that used to be on the open flash website, and ofm had no issues adding them to the oft. How can the write to ecu be fixed? I just hope the ecu didn't get bricked... That would not be a good day thanks again for your useful insight.
Did you use Tuner Pro or Rom Raider to edit your FFS/LC settings?
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:53 PM   #13
Wayno

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
If you have push button start, make sure the key is in the car with you
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:11 PM   #14
steve99
Banned

Quote:
hopefully you used romraider and the definitions that came with the V2xx tunes to edit you V2 tune files they all come in the zipped download.

Have you tried writing back stock rom ??

If writing back stock rom gives same result then try removing a battery cable for a minute in case ecu in weird state. then try stock rom again.

Make sure your key fob is right near the start button and away from any laptop, also dont have oft connected to car and laptop at same time

If all that fails its not looking to good. but maybe shiv has a trick.