follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 03-17-2012, 02:52 AM   #1
kyolml

Drives: STI 2008, M3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FR-S/BRZ vs. FC RX7

Not sure why it wasn't on the topic before. Compare it to the FD just a bit too far off. It was the engineering pinnacle for Mazda.

I am talking the NA FC here we have in the US, not even the turbo, which has pretty good torque. I owned the 89 NA version before, and I will think the toyoburu will have a pretty similar feeling to it when driving around: pretty close in weight, direct steering, engine weight in the middle, hard-top, low seating. low torque, high rpm. New car has a little better suspension, and a better high end, otherwse both are driver ecentric cars, pretty close in driver involvement, i think it's pretty close

Last edited by kyolml; 03-17-2012 at 01:49 PM.
kyolml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:01 AM   #2
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyolml View Post
Not sure why it was on the topic before. Compare it to the FD just a bit too far off. It was the engineering pinnacle for Mazda.

I am talking the NA FC here we have in the US, not even the turbo, which has pretty good torque. I owned the 89 NA version before, and I will think the toyoburu will have a pretty similar feeling to it when driving around: pretty close in weight, direct steering, engine weight in the middle, hard-top, low seating. low torque, high rpm. New car has a little better suspension, and a better high end, otherwse both are driver ecentric cars, pretty close in driver involvement, i think it's pretty close
What do you mean better suspension or driver eccentric
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
arghx7

Drives: car
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
I have owned two FC Rx-7's, a turbo and a non turbo. By better suspension he is referring to the suspension geometry in the rear especially. The FC uses a semi-trailing arm suspension, while the BRZ/FR-S uses a multi-link design that has had the benefit of a couple decades worth of advances.

I think he meant "driver-centric," basically a car that's designed to be fun to drive and give a lot of feedback to the driver.
arghx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #4
MrBonus

Drives: 2012 Boss Laguna Seca
An excellent comparison, the Toyobaru having an edge in modern chassis advancement and reliability while the RX7 being the more powerful machine.

I've always had a soft sport for the RX7 as a couple of friends have some very fast examples despite their reputation for being finicky and unreliable.
MrBonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
I had a '91 convertible. GREAT car! I would have preferred a coupe or turbo, but I needed a car immediately and it was the first one I looked at that wasn't trashed.

The FR-S should perform about as well as a stock FC turbo (about the same power and weight). But the FC weight distribution is better and it's probably a smidge less compromised as a "sports car". Rotary gas mileage and reliability though...
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
I owned a '90 Turbo II, and had a few friends with N/A RX-7's. The N/A cars were torqueless wonders that had no around-town grunt, but the turbo was pretty good at getting out of it's own way, with 200bhp/182lb/ft stock. It was a front-midship design because of the compact rotary, and the CoG was pretty low, too. The car had great balance and the rotary made a great sound with a 3" turbo-back exhaust. 4-piston front brakes did a great job at stopping, and some early models had auto-adjusting suspension, too! Unfortunately mine grenaded shortly after I bought it so I ended up selling it.

My biggest gripes about the car were how finicky the rotary could be (if not properly maintained), piss poor fuel economy (I averaged 14mpg), and the quality of the interior plastics (very brittle; broke panels trying to remove them). But it was a ton of fun and it has a timeless design that still looks great today. There's still tons of aftermarket support for them, too!

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #7
kyolml

Drives: STI 2008, M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by arghx7 View Post
I have owned two FC Rx-7's, a turbo and a non turbo. By better suspension he is referring to the suspension geometry in the rear especially. The FC uses a semi-trailing arm suspension, while the BRZ/FR-S uses a multi-link design that has had the benefit of a couple decades worth of advances.

I think he meant "driver-centric," basically a car that's designed to be fun to drive and give a lot of feedback to the driver.

Thanks, typing on the phone wasn't helping on the spelling. You are pretty spot on what I meant.
kyolml is offline   Reply With Quote