follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #57
concept_cynic

Drives: 2001 corvette
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidWonder View Post
Horsepower is just a mathematical number, not a measurable force. The two measurable components of hp are torque & RPM, so you can't really compare hp & torque, because one is based on the other.
So are you saying he is wrong? The math is correct.
concept_cynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:38 PM   #58
armythug

Drives: Pegasus White 86GTS
Some of these posts could easily kill one's aspirations of owning this car. Especially if you're not as mechanically inclined.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #59
Siriusly.Andrew

Drives: 1995 Civic DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by concept_cynic View Post
From an algebra perspective the math is correct, working the formulas around to figure HP from tq and RPM works accurately, but the calculated figure is HP. Because you cannot measure HP you cannot determine with any certainty the TQ produced.
Siriusly.Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #60
86'd

Drives: 2012 WRX Sedan
I want to see a curve!

I'm still curious where TQ is delivered.

Hope they hurry up, it's either this or a Camry. . .
86'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:45 PM   #61
KidWonder

Drives: 2004 Volkswagen Passat Turbo
Quote:
What I'm saying is Horsepower is not a measurable force, it's a calculated measurement of the output of an engine.

To get horsepower from torque(moment of force) Pounds-force feet (lbf.ft; lb ft.) x 1.356 = Newton meters (Nm) x 0.738 = pounds - force feet ( lbf ft; lb ft.), the formula for horsepower is; 1 horsepower = 746 watts x 0.0013 = Horsepower. I know this seems complicated but it really is'nt.

Torque doesn't equal 'HP*RPM'. You couldn't know the horsepower without torque...but with the computers we have today, a computer will do all that math for us.
KidWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:45 PM   #62
concept_cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusly.Andrew View Post
From an algebra perspective the math is correct, working the formulas around to figure HP from tq and RPM works accurately, but the calculated figure is HP. Because you cannot measure HP you cannot determine with any certainty the TQ produced.
What? If you know what HP is @ xRPM then you can figure out TQ @ xRPM too.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #63
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
I mean it is what I expected. 170 is acceptable, 180 would have been impressive.
Could be 180wrhp on the north American cars...we will see in 5 months...well 4 if some of the first 86 FR-S winners dyno their cars...
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #64
concept_cynic

Quote:
What I'm saying is Horsepower is not a measurable force, it's a calculated measurement of the output of an engine.

To get horsepower from torque(moment of force) Pounds-force feet (lbf.ft; lb ft.) x 1.356 = Newton meters (Nm) x 0.738 = pounds - force feet ( lbf ft; lb ft.), the formula for horsepower is; 1 horsepower = 746 watts x 0.0013 = Horsepower. I know this seems complicated but it really is'nt.

Torque doesn't equal 'HP*RPM'. You couldn't know the horsepower without torque...but with the computers we have today, a computer will do all that math for us.
Yeah HP = TQ over time = work. Thats easy but I just don't understand if you were saying he was wrong or not.

No one said tq=h*rpm. The formula is tq=(hp*rpm)/5252

Edit: HP does not equal work. Tq is work.

Last edited by concept_cynic; 01-23-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:56 PM   #65
concept_cynic

Quote:

This paragraph doesn't make any sense either. At the beginning it sounds like you are about to tell me how to get HP from TQ but the rest of it tells me how to convert to different units lol (how to convert HP into Watts and how to convert 'pounds-force feet' into Nm).
Old 01-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #66
Spaceywilly
ZC6A2B82KC7J

Drives: 2002 WRX
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
ugh. It's amazing how many people don't understand hp vs. torque

Torque is a force, just like gravity, magnetism, weak and strong nuclear force, it is to quote wikipedia that which can cause an object with mass to change its velocity. 1lb.ft of torque is the amount of force required to move 1lb of mass (technically lb is weight, but we don't pay attention to that since we are usually staying on the same planet) 1 foot. Just remember force = mass x accelaration. Force causes a mass to accelerate.

Horsepower is a measure of power, power is the rate at which work is being done. Work, in turn, is force applied over a distance. Horsepower, specifically, is the rate of work one horse can do in one day, I believe measured by Watt (the man, not the unit of measure). He determined that a horse can move 1lb of weight 5252feet in 1 day. The important thing to know is that horsepower is a rate, and does not actually "do" anything. To take the example of the horse, any horse has 1 hp, meaning it is capable of moving 1 lb weight 5252feet over the course of day. Until it actually starts moving something, that is applying a force to an object with mass, it isn't doing anything and therefore not creating any power. If you wanted to dyno your horse, you would connect it to a harness attached to 1lb of resistance, then let it walk around in that harness for a whole day. Take the number of feet your horse walked that day, divide it by 5252, and you get horsepower. If your horse went 10,000 feet you would have a badass horse. If it went 10million feet you would have a Bugatti Veyron.

So back to our car engine discussion. In order to calculate the horsepower of an engine, you must know how much force is being applied over what distance. The rotation of the wheels gives us the distance, and the resistance provided by the dyno gives us the force. The dyno doesn't actually measure horsepower, it only measures how much torque it is creating (which is equal to the torque the engine is producing, multiplied by the transmission, differentials, and wheels) and it records the RPM of the engine. From these two values (torque and RPM) it can calculate the horsepower. So, in conclusion, torque is a force and can be measured (although on a wheel dyno you are not actually measuring the engine torque, so you still have to do some calculating). Horsepower is a rate of work and can only be calculated.

So what does it all mean for you when you're driving your car? Your car has mass, and in order to change its velocity, a force must act on that mass. That force is the engine torque. If you pick an RPM and look at the amount of torque the engine can produce at that RPM, you will have an idea of how quickly it can accelerate at that RPM. If you have two cars going the same speed, and one has an engine with more torque at that speed, that car will accelerate faster if both drivers punch it at the same time. It's that simple. Horsepower, being a function of torque, has the same relationship, however peak horsepower is the reason horsepower comes in handy. If a car can create a lot of torque at high RPMs, that engine will continue to accelerate longer. A car with the same torque but a lower redline will have to shift sooner, into a gear with less torque multiplication, and so it will be slower.

Last edited by Spaceywilly; 01-23-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Spaceywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #67
KidWonder

Drives: 2004 Volkswagen Passat Turbo
Quote:
This paragraph doesn't make any sense either. At the beginning it sounds like you are about to tell me how to get HP from TQ but the rest of it tells me how to convert to different units lol (how to convert HP into Watts and how to convert 'pounds-force feet' into Nm).
I did tell you to convert TQ to HP. Then I went haywire and decided to convert them into different units of measurement. lol
KidWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #68
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
I got your Camry right here!!!

Joking aside, good numbers. Can't wait to Quad-TurboSupercharge it.
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #69
concept_cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceywilly View Post
ugh. It's amazing how many people don't understand hp vs. torque

Torque is a force, just like gravity, magnetism, weak and strong nuclear force, it is to quote wikipedia that which can cause an object with mass to change its velocity. 1lb.ft of torque is the amount of force required to move 1lb of mass (technically lb is weight, but we don't pay attention to that since we are usually staying on the same planet) 1 foot. Just remember force = mass x accelaration. Force causes a mass to accelerate.

Horsepower is a measure of power, power is the rate at which work is being done. Work, in turn, is force applied over a distance. Horsepower, specifically, is the rate of work one horse can do in one day, I believe measured by Watt (the man, not the unit of measure). He determined that a horse can move 1lb of weight 5252feet in 1 day. The important thing to know is that horsepower is a rate, and does not actually "do" anything. To take the example of the horse, any horse has 1 hp, meaning it is capable of moving 1 lb weight 5252feet over the course of day. Until it actually starts moving something, that is applying a force to an object with mass, it isn't doing anything and therefore not creating any power. If you wanted to dyno your horse, you would connect it to a harness attached to 1lb of resistance, then let it walk around in that harness for a whole day. Take the number of feet your horse walked that day, divide it by 5252, and you get horsepower. If your horse went 10,000 feet you would have a badass horse. If it went 10million feet you would have a Bugatti Veyron.

So back to our car engine discussion. In order to calculate the horsepower of an engine, you must know how much force is being applied over what distance. The rotation of the wheels gives us the distance, and the resistance provided by the dyno gives us the force. The dyno doesn't actually measure horsepower, it only measures how much torque it is creating (which is equal to the torque the engine is producing, multiplied by the transmission, differentials, and wheels) and it records the RPM of the engine. From these two values (torque and RPM) it can calculate the horsepower. So, in conclusion, torque is a force and can be measured (although on a wheel dyno you are not actually measuring the engine torque, so you still have to do some calculating). Horsepower is a rate of work and can only be calculated.

So what does it all mean for you when you're driving your car? Your car has mass, and in order to change its velocity, a force must act on that mass. That force is the engine torque. If you pick an RPM and look at the amount of torque the engine can produce at that RPM, you will have an idea of how quickly it can accelerate at that RPM. If you have two cars going the same speed, and one has an engine with more torque at that speed, that car will accelerate faster if both drivers punch it at the same time. It's that simple. Horsepower, being a function of torque, has the same relationship, however peak horsepower is the reason horsepower comes in handy. If a car can create a lot of torque at high RPMs, that engine will continue to accelerate longer. A car with the same torque but a lower redline will have to shift sooner, into a gear with less torque multiplication, and so it will be slower.
I think we all are starting to confuse terms some. I put earlier that HP=work but that isn't true. TQ=work and HP=work/time. Just to clear that up. Also, 1hp=550lbft/second. I think your 5252ft/day thing is off some.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:31 PM   #70
bsivoljr
Jelly bro?

Drives: Acura RSX S k24a2
My k24a2 makes 205 stock. Boltons Im around 230.

I swear this thing is gonna be slow in a straight line and on a course Boost is absolutely necessary to get the fun I want out of this. Drifting should be pretty fun. Still need more power though to make drifting a little easier.

I was angry about them veering so far from the concept but ok Im over it it looks good, but now the power is sub par. You guys will be getting smoked by Honda's from the 90's
bsivoljr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
86 dyno, brz dyno, fr-s dyno, frs dyno, hks 86, hks fr-s, hks frs, hks toyota 86, scion fr-s dyno, scion fr-s hks, scion frs dyno, scion frs hks, subaru brz dyno, toyota 86 dyno, toyota 86 hks, toyota gt86 dyno