follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 11-29-2012, 06:22 AM   #15
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Area86 View Post
Has anyone tried using launch control on a automatic? I didn't know it was even available for autos.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
I didn't know it was either, i didn't think auto's had any of the cool features actually.
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:50 AM   #16
yomny

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
I've always had something puzzle me about the flat foot shifting. If according to the manual the limiter is set to slightly higher than when the feature was activated, lets say if I shift at 7800 this would set my flat foot limiter to almost or exactly 8k which is redline and I think isn't so desirable. Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't it be better if the feature activated the limiter to at least 500rpms(or what ever the gear ratio would drop the rpms)less than when the clutch was pushed in? Just a thought.
xjohnx (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #17
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomny View Post
I've always had something puzzle me about the flat foot shifting. If according to the manual the limiter is set to slightly higher than when the feature was activated, lets say if I shift at 7800 this would set my flat foot limiter to almost or exactly 8k which is redline and I think isn't so desirable. Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't it be better if the feature activated the limiter to at least 500rpms(or what ever the gear ratio would drop the rpms)less than when the clutch was pushed in? Just a thought.
You loose acceleration by setting it lower, the whole point of the feature is to scavenge any extra lap time as possible, even if that means dumping the clutch every up shift (a hard shift), i just explained why 2 posts above you...

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:33 PM   #18
yomny

The whole idea of flat foot shifting is to set a limit on the rpm before the car's redline and fuel cut off limiter to prevent engine damage and getting fuel cut or ignition retardation. While i understand your point that it gains acceleration on a road course or timed lap, it may not be so helpful to those(autox, non timed HPDE) having to extend their shifts onto redline because then the feature would activate beyond the redline which defeats the safety goal. I dont intend to get into a back and forth of who's right, you have your opinion and i have mine. I still think that at least anywhere above 7500 the no lift feature should be activated below redline. Thanks for reading.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #19
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Quote:
The whole idea of flat foot shifting is to set a limit on the rpm before the car's redline and fuel cut off limiter to prevent engine damage and getting fuel cut or ignition retardation. While i understand your point that it gains acceleration on a road course or timed lap, it may not be so helpful to those(autox, non timed HPDE) having to extend their shifts onto redline because then the feature would activate beyond the redline which defeats the safety goal. I dont intend to get into a back and forth of who's right, you have your opinion and i have mine. I still think that at least anywhere above 7500 the no lift feature should be activated below redline. Thanks for reading.
different strokes for different folks, 8k rpms isnt going to hurt the engine.
If there are companies boosting to 8.5k-9k rpms making over 350-400 whp

i think 7800rpms NA wont hurt the engine the way most people think it will

considering how much faster the engine revs under boost at higher rpms. The sheer increase in piston acceleration puts more G force on the pistons even at lower RPMS vs an NA engine.

The acceleratory forces of a boosted engine going from 4k rpms to 5k rpms would be the equivalent of an NA engine going from 6k-7.5k rpms

then there are other factors that hinder reliability like resonance, combustion temperatures, blow by, ect ...

all of those factors are increased when you boost an engine:
more powerful combustion = stronger vibrations = stronger resonance waves

more powerful combustion = more heat = higher running temperatures

turbo cooling using engine oil = faster wear on oil = more wear and tear on the engine due to the lack of lubrication efficiency if oil isnt changed out more regularly

turbo wear = breakdown of metals into engine oil = more metal particles wearing on cylinder walls

If a turbo engine can run reliably at 8.5k rpms for many miles i think a SMALL bump in rpm for NA applications is 100% safe

The 7450 rpm redline is in effect for many reasons:

Engine longevity - Toyota wants to see the engine last past 250k miles with your diligent maintenance

Power - Cams,intake, and exhaust aren't set up to make power past 7450 rpms. With headers and intake we have seen power continue to climb towards 8k with correct tunes through ECUtek

Cams, intake, and exhaust also had to be designed with emissions and gas mileage in mind

Higher RPM cars have a hard time passing emissions as well - keep RPMS down = easier to pass regulations = more money saved by the company

There are a lot of factors that judge "redlines" and "power" and "reliability"

They had to design a car from the ground up along all those guidelines and still make us happy

For all we know the stock engine can handle 9k rpms every day for 200k miles but they couldn't post that as the "redline" because of emission.

Only those answers can be determined through our own R&D because the aftermarket isn't ruled by those same manufacturing rules and guidelines.

hope i didn't write too much... but there are too many factors to be able to know anything... well without testing them at least

I ran my 2000 celica gts at 9800 rpms after a couple mods and it ran reliably every day for tens of thousands of miles (the engine also had 100k miles on it when i started raising the RPMS)

thats a LOT of stress on the engine considering its "redline" was set at 7800 rpms and the fuel cut at 8450, put back all the internals at 140k miles then sold it at 152k miles, car worked perfectly fine through the entire process

(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
The Following User Says Thank You to carbonBLUE For This Useful Post:
Books (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #20
Zaneman

Drives: 2013 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonBLUE View Post

I ran my 2000 celica gts at 9800 rpms after a couple mods and it ran reliably every day for tens of thousands of miles

maybe you mean 8800rpm.
Zaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:57 PM   #21
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaneman View Post
maybe you mean 8800rpm.
ferra valves/springs/retainers, lightweight mahle 13.0:1 pistons, circuitworks oil pump, nitrate coated piper stage 3 cams. I'm pretty sure it was 9800 rpms and you're just an ass

you read a well thought out response and looked for the 1 thing that "might" be something you can leverage as a troll... visit the honda and toyota forums... 10k rpms isn't unheard of or very expensive to do, there were at least 30+ celica members that pushed those types of rpms.

You're just like the people who said the stock block wouldn't hold more than 500whp boosted, at any point... people like you have no sense of imagination...

10k rpms 2zz-ge engine, took me 10 seconds to find a video...

(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carbonBLUE For This Useful Post:
CircuitJerk (11-29-2012), SkAsphalt (07-25-2013)
Old 11-29-2012, 11:43 PM   #22
Zaneman

Quote:
ferra valves/springs/retainers, lightweight mahle 13.0:1 pistons, circuitworks oil pump, nitrate coated piper stage 3 cams. I'm pretty sure it was 9800 rpms and you're just an ass

you read a well thought out response and looked for the 1 thing that "might" be something you can leverage as a troll... visit the honda and toyota forums... 10k rpms isn't unheard of or very expensive to do, there were at least 30+ celica members that pushed those types of rpms.

You're just like the people who said the stock block wouldn't hold more than 500whp boosted, at any point... people like you have no sense of imagination...
I've been an active member of Newcelica.org for a little over 6 years. There are not 30+ Celicas running at 9800rpm like you say. Nor is it cheap at all to run this kind of setup. Celicasaur is a good example. I've seen cars running similar mods like Many,danGTS, and some Redliner Puerto Ricans. Revving that high is undoubtedly far beyond the 2zz's peak horsepower unless you have a ported head and/or DDIM. I'm surprised I haven't seen your dyno on Newcelica.org could you send me a link?
Old 11-30-2012, 01:50 AM   #23
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Quote:
I've been an active member of Newcelica.org for a little over 6 years. There are not 30+ Celicas running at 9800rpm like you say. Nor is it cheap at all to run this kind of setup. Celicasaur is a good example. I've seen cars running similar mods like Many,danGTS, and some Redliner Puerto Ricans. Revving that high is undoubtedly far beyond the 2zz's peak horsepower unless you have a ported head and/or DDIM. I'm surprised I haven't seen your dyno on Newcelica.org could you send me a link?
TRD limited slip diff, hydra EMS, lotus injectors, DDPreformance Intake Manifold, UR pulleys, PPE 4-1 headers, TRD Katsuma , custom 1 run 13:1 mahle pistons, apr headbolts, lightweight flywheel(dunno which one), TRD grey japan 6 pluck racing clutch, Tundra throttle body, Ported heads, Nitride* coated piper stage 3 cams, and Circuitworx oil pump. made 210 whp on a mustang 1100 series dyno on a conservative tune and 246 whp on my E85 tune

note i made around the same as @Boosted2.0 but i was at higher elevation and my stock base run ran a little higher than his at 167whp vs his 157 whp

It may have looked like i made more power but i didnt as my gear ratios weren't the same as boosted for i was using a 5.0:1 final drive, did the run in 5th and i also ran at a cooler time of the year rather than boosted2.0's 100F oven of a dyno shop lol...

if i can find the dyno i would gladly give it, i wasn't the most powerful NA 2zz-ge but i was close and you are right it was damn expensive... this was something i achieved a year and a half ago, ran it that way, i dont need to push my ego by posting dyno numbers, you can call bs all you want, i know the work put in my car and that is all that matters

i love modifying cars for self enjoyment, not for growing my e-peen

boosted was also running on race gas, i was running on E85, i had a bit more power to unlock than he did

after using E85 for some time i had to replace the entire fueling system then i slowly returned to stock so i could sell my GTS for an FRS

and for the 30+ people running around pushing 10k, you havnt accounted for forums outside of NC.org and accounted for the rest of the world 30 is a small number when you consider THAT demographic

My build was close to boosted by not exact, hopefully he see's my tag and can shed some light on it

(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x

Last edited by carbonBLUE; 11-30-2012 at 02:00 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to carbonBLUE For This Useful Post:
SkAsphalt (07-25-2013)
Old 11-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #24
yomny

It is obvious that some people just have to say something no matter what, when that's the case, all their credibility is lost and we just tend to ignore them.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #25
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
It is obvious that some people just have to say something no matter what, when that's the case, all their credibility is lost and we just tend to ignore them.
what, you mean to tell me that comparing a built inline four to a stock flat 4 isn't comparing apples to apples?

xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #26
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Quote:
i really do get carried away! lol the basics are the same for building a high revving engine on any engine format

When i finally take the step to get ECUtek, ill be raising my rpms to about 8500 cant wait!

i am waiting to go out of warranty first... i prob got 6 more months till ive ran past the 36k mile mark

(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
Old 11-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #27
Zaneman

Quote:
TRD limited slip diff, hydra EMS, lotus injectors, DDPreformance Intake Manifold, UR pulleys, PPE 4-1 headers, TRD Katsuma , custom 1 run 13:1 mahle pistons, apr headbolts, lightweight flywheel(dunno which one), TRD grey japan 6 pluck racing clutch, Tundra throttle body, Ported heads, Nitride* coated piper stage 3 cams, and Circuitworx oil pump. made 210 whp on a mustang 1100 series dyno on a conservative tune and 246 whp on my E85 tune

if i can find the dyno i would gladly give it, i wasn't the most powerful NA 2zz-ge but i was close and you are right it was damn expensive... this was something i achieved a year and a half ago, ran it that way, i dont need to push my ego by posting dyno numbers, you can call bs all you want, i know the work put in my car and that is all that matters

i love modifying cars for self enjoyment, not for growing my e-peen

and for the 30+ people running around pushing 10k, you havnt accounted for forums outside of NC.org and accounted for the rest of the world 30 is a small number when you consider THAT demographic
I just don't see how you could do all that work and spend all that time and not post so everyone can see your dyno. If you have love for the 2zz you would fill the community with knowledge, not for your e-peen. Newcelica.org is by far the notable 7th gen forum. That's where Dave made his rise.

I never opened my engine, it just wasn't worth the money. I had everything basically that you did on the outside except for a different exhaust. DDIM w/DBW, PPE, Pullys, Fidanza, 3in intake, lotus injectors, on PFC tuned by Redliner. These mods themselves cost $4-5k. I'm hoping that the BRZ will make 200whp without e85 if the Celica could for around the same price or hopefully less.

As for the 30+ people I still doubt it. I can see over the course of the 2zz that there has been maybe 30+ celica's revved to 10k but I still doubt there are 30+ celica's driving around right now with the capabilities.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #28
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Quote:
I just don't see how you could do all that work and spend all that time and not post so everyone can see your dyno. If you have love for the 2zz you would fill the community with knowledge, not for your e-peen. Newcelica.org is by far the notable 7th gen forum. That's where Dave made his rise.

I never opened my engine, it just wasn't worth the money. I had everything basically that you did on the outside except for a different exhaust. DDIM w/DBW, PPE, Pullys, Fidanza, 3in intake, lotus injectors, on PFC tuned by Redliner. These mods themselves cost $4-5k. I'm hoping that the BRZ will make 200whp without e85 if the Celica could for around the same price or hopefully less.

As for the 30+ people I still doubt it. I can see over the course of the 2zz that there has been maybe 30+ celica's revved to 10k but I still doubt there are 30+ celica's driving around right now with the capabilities.
you can mark mine off the list, i returned it back to stock, sold the parts then bought the frs yeah if you dont build the engine right it will blow up

i dont doubt the engine of the 86, i know it will make 200whp without E85

(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x