follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 04-16-2016, 09:53 PM   #435
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
That said, the Seiko isn't flawless either. The 12, 6, 9 o'clock markers aren't cut perfectly symmetrically if you look closely.
This was a bombshell thread when it first came out on watchuseek. Not sure how much truth there is to it but most likely some to a certain extent.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/whe...e-1084156.html
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:15 AM   #436
PandaBRZ

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznKirby View Post
Whoa that's nice. Must... have...

:p

Edit: I just looked up prices for those watches and ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
Jesus.
Hahaha a lot of saving up and selling of some lesser worn watches helped.

Read my writing about the BRZ on my website.
PandaBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:16 AM   #437
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
This was a bombshell thread when it first came out on watchuseek. Not sure how much truth there is to it but most likely some to a certain extent.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/whe...e-1084156.html
I mean where the parts are made clearly doesn't bother me, I bought nearly 1k of Chinese branded watches already, I abuse them and they have treated me pretty well.

I like the style of the Seiko, so I think it's still a good purchase, it just has its flaws. This gets me thinking, if a 400 dollar Seiko has blemishes, are those 400 dollar Tissot or Tag Heuer watches also like this?

I stopped wearing the Seiko today because the strap is getting too annoying (always unlatching), going to put it back on duty when the Ebay strap gets here. It's kind of weird putting my 8mm thick M201S back on after wearing that gigantic Seiko haha.

Last edited by serialk11r; 04-17-2016 at 07:29 AM.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:31 AM   #438
krayzie
Drive From Home

Quote:
I mean where the parts are made clearly doesn't bother me, I bought nearly 1k of Chinese branded watches already, I abuse them and they have treated me pretty well.

I like the style of the Seiko, so I think it's still a good purchase, it just has its flaws. This gets me thinking, if a 400 dollar Seiko has blemishes, are those 400 dollar Tissot or Tag Heuer watches also like this?

I stopped wearing the Seiko today because the strap is getting too annoying (always unlatching), going to put it back on duty when the Ebay strap gets here.
The dude I used to work with bought a new $120 bucks Seagull automatic once just for kicks. When we try to wind the crown, it felt like there were a bunch of sand inside the movement lol! Maybe they've improved a lot these days.

No I think the point of that thread was that a lot of us have noticed a decline in QC with Seikos of all price points from recent years (even ones costing a couple thousand), and the post kind of shed some light as to how they are trying to cut costs.

I can tell you modern Tissots are the worst (soft metals just from opening the back, dust inside from new, clasp that would break within a year, been there done that), but most people these days don't seem to care.

The Swatch Group service points be it locally or in chocoland don't seem to know how to service their vintage models either (Tissot's CEO gave me a written apology for destroying my Tissot Heritage chronometer from the mid 90's, they tried to repair their mistakes 5 times over 2 years without success and I ended up with a check in the mail).

Everytime I visit the Swatch service point I see angry and frustrated people with newer Omegas that ain't working right lol but I digress.

If you think your $400 bucks Seiko is not doing you justice (which I agree with you at this point), you would be very surprised if you put a loupe on the dial of a new Rolex (as in I would never buy one).

Best quality right now at any price point is a JDM G-Shock I kid you not.

Last edited by krayzie; 04-17-2016 at 07:55 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
JD001 (04-17-2016), serialk11r (04-17-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 07:46 PM   #439
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
The dude I used to work with bought a new $120 bucks Seagull automatic once just for kicks. When we try to wind the crown, it felt like there were a bunch of sand inside the movement lol! Maybe they've improved a lot these days.
Seagulls can be tricky because there's multiple quality grades and fakes. My 120 dollar skeleton wasn't from the factory so it could've been a QC reject, it tells the time with no problem, but the stem seal didn't quite work (the watch fogged up after wearing it in the shower). The 6 beat per second ST16 movements have a very distinct "click" when you turn the crown, whereas the ST23 (ETA2824) makes that "zzzz" grinding sound, which is kind of like sand, but I read on WUS that ETA2824 movements aren't really meant to be hand wound and you can break them if you do too often. (http://forums.watchuseek.com/f6/eta-...ng-565378.html) That may have been the issue.

However I'm still impressed with that watch because I heated it to try to get the condensation out (I do dumb things), the crystal popped off after the inside reached probably like 100C, and then bounced into the trash can, I dug it out of the trash, reused the crystal gasket and pushed it back on using my hands, and it kept on working, until a piece of debris got caught in the movement. Ended up sending it back to the factory to get it fixed LOL. From the stains from the water that were still there, I could tell they didn't replace the whole thing (which they sometimes do, I think), but it somehow still works like a champ, but I am very careful about taking it off when showering now.

My 819.351 (ST23/ETA2824) was secondhand but the PO bought it from the factory dealer. I had to get it fixed after I slammed it into a table really hard soon after I got it, and then again 2 years after. I heard that's not an atypical service interval anyways though...and I do subject my watches to a lot of shock. The watch is freakishly accurate so I don't mind coughing up the maintenance money.

I plan on getting the 818.900 (basic hand wind tourbillon) as my last Seagull watch, because it looks awesome and is only 60 bucks to fix if something goes wrong lol. A guy at work has a Blancpain which he says costs 800 every year when he sends it to the factory for maintenance, ouch.

Quote:

The Swatch Group service points be it locally or in chocoland don't seem to know how to service their vintage models either (Tissot's CEO gave me a written apology for destroying my Tissot Heritage chronometer from the mid 90's, they tried to repair their mistakes 5 times over 2 years without success and I ended up with a check in the mail).

Everytime I visit the Swatch service point I see angry and frustrated people with newer Omegas that ain't working right lol but I digress.
Well, hardly surprising given how crappy Swatch brand watches are isn't it? I've had 2 Swatches, one of the cheap plastic ones (case simply cracked open after a few years), and one of the ~150 dollar metal ones (the metal band broke apart and the watch disappeared into a grass field lol).

If you say Rolexes are like this too...what isn't? Do Pateks have this problem?

Last edited by serialk11r; 04-18-2016 at 01:40 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:26 PM   #440
sdemo

Drives: '13 SWP ZC6 R
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
You... wear a watch in the shower?
Old 04-17-2016, 10:02 PM   #441
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdemo View Post
You... wear a watch in the shower?
I had steel band watches for a really long time, got in the habit of not taking it off.

Cured that habit after wearing a leather band watch for half a year.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:46 AM   #442
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Aaaand the strap is already destroyed, can't wait till I get the $3 cheapo faux alligator replacements.

Pro-tip: If you get a Seiko with flip clasp, order another watch band at the same time.
I have not kept a single factory leather strap. My Tissot was about twice the SARB and it felt like plastic garbage. Replaced it with a Hirsch Merino as soon as I could.

And I ended up with a Seagull now, Serial. Who'd a thunk it?

The timekeeping has been OK, but I must say the ST19 chrono action is way, way, overrated. Not as good as my 1972 Seiko or mid 1970s Nivada. Has a very aggressive random jump on the chronograph seconds hand from the horizontal clutch. My Seiko is a vertical clutch and column wheel so that might explain why it's better, but the Nivada is a horizontal clutch with cams, and it feels better and is more precise in the chrono action. Strap also sucks donkey balls...

But neither are as good looking as the Seagull, or have a moonphase (finally).

Because titanium.

Last edited by Dimman; 04-18-2016 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Extra pic
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:48 AM   #443
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
The timekeeping has been OK, but I must say the ST19 chrono action is way, way, overrated. Not as good as my 1972 Seiko or mid 1970s Nivada. Has a very aggressive random jump on the chronograph seconds hand from the horizontal clutch. My Seiko is a vertical clutch and column wheel so that might explain why it's better, but the Nivada is a horizontal clutch with cams, and it feels better and is more precise in the chrono action. Strap also sucks donkey balls...

But neither are as good looking as the Seagull, or have a moonphase (finally).
Ah, I was just eyeing that the other day! Part of me wants a "busier" watch with moonphase or power reserve or something, but I also can't make up my mind about which complications I'd want, so I probably will continue to go with just plain faced watches.

As far as the strap goes, that's the same strap on my M201S, I am okay with it, it looks so so, but at least it holds together. I tighten it quite a bit for wrist support and the holes aren't stretching out (unlike the Seiko). The black Seagull strap is definitely shittier looking than the brown one, the leather is too shiny and feels like a shitty plastic Swatch band. The brown one I got with the M182SK was a little bit softer and has a fairly pleasant color.

I'm going to hope that their tourbillon watches have a better band...
Old 04-18-2016, 03:27 AM   #444
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Ah, I was just eyeing that the other day! Part of me wants a "busier" watch with moonphase or power reserve or something, but I also can't make up my mind about which complications I'd want, so I probably will continue to go with just plain faced watches.

As far as the strap goes, that's the same strap on my M201S, I am okay with it, it looks so so, but at least it holds together. I tighten it quite a bit for wrist support and the holes aren't stretching out (unlike the Seiko). The black Seagull strap is definitely shittier looking than the brown one, the leather is too shiny and feels like a shitty plastic Swatch band. The brown one I got with the M182SK was a little bit softer and has a fairly pleasant color.

I'm going to hope that their tourbillon watches have a better band...
I was looking at Seagull ST25xx movements recently particularly the moonphase and small seconds with big date, and the 9h small seconds with power reserve and standard date. Layouts are nice, and could do some nice dials, but the movements are super, super fat. A 12mm thick case with thinnest materials and tightest clearances.... To balance it visually it would need to be 42mm+ and that's big for a dress watch.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:13 AM   #445
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
I was looking at Seagull ST25xx movements recently particularly the moonphase and small seconds with big date, and the 9h small seconds with power reserve and standard date. Layouts are nice, and could do some nice dials, but the movements are super, super fat. A 12mm thick case with thinnest materials and tightest clearances.... To balance it visually it would need to be 42mm+ and that's big for a dress watch.
The Seiko is 13mm thick lol, but I wouldn't wear that one as a "dress" watch.

I don't mind 13mm that much, because I see lots of even thicker looking watches around. Chunky divers, modern looking things with a fat knurled bezel, all make the Seiko look graceful and light by comparison :P
Old 04-19-2016, 10:28 PM   #446
krayzie
Drive From Home

This was my old Tissot Chrono Janeiro with the ETA/Valjoux 7765 manual wind chronograph. I bought another one off eBay after Swatch destroyed my first one.

But Tissot just pissed me off so much I traded the 2nd one on WUS for a Seiko MM300, and I even gave that dude my 150th anniversary Tissot big book lol!

Now I only wear Japanese, just need to get a Spring Drive and it'll be game over for me.

Last edited by krayzie; 04-22-2016 at 08:05 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
Dimman (04-22-2016), NWFRS (04-22-2016), serialk11r (04-22-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 06:02 AM   #447
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
Now I only wear Japanese, just need to get a Spring Drive and it'll be game over for me.
Speaking of those, I am not really sure whether I want to get a Grand Seiko automatic or Spring Drive...or...both?

@Dimman how many watches do you have btw? I bought a 10 watch case, which is 4 watches full right now...adding a Patek, a JLC, a Grand Seiko, and a Seagull tourbillon is already 8, and you're inspiring me to collect some watches with complications :/ Maybe I should've gotten a bigger watch case...
Old 04-22-2016, 07:53 AM   #448
krayzie
Drive From Home

Quote:
Speaking of those, I am not really sure whether I want to get a Grand Seiko automatic or Spring Drive...or...both?
So basically the story goes back during 3/11 I saw on NHK that Seiko's factory got damaged by the earthquake. By then it was already 13 years since I first saw this elusive Grand Seiko on a copy of Mono Magazine, remembering the shock I had as a high school kid seeing the price tag. I was thinking maybe it's time to pull the trigger.

The following week on a day off I happened to walk by the Seiko Boutique. Walked in and there it was the Grand Seiko Automatic SBGR001 at the front display (the old one with the magic lever). But then on the side display there was the Spring Drive SNR005 (the first self wind SD). Both watches were new old stock. Of course I could only afford just one watch.

I was also told Seiko had to stop production for the at least 6 months due to the earthquake, and all watches that got sent back to Japan for service no longer have a target return date.

The sales dude said if I lusted after the GS for that long, just go with that one. So that's what I did no regrets.

But I can tell you that Spring Drive seconds hand is probably the smoothest sweep you would ever see on any watch, very tempting. When you wind the crown it feels like there's a ball bearing or something. My friend has the GS Hi-Beat 36000 and the sweep is nowhere near as smooth.

Maybe you can just go for a GS Spring Drive? lol!

Patek + JLC + GS that's pretty impressive stuff.

Last edited by krayzie; 04-22-2016 at 08:25 AM.

Tags
watches