follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 08-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #85
TRev

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Picked up the car last night and heard the clicking within the first block I drove so tightening the axle nut did not help the noise. I have had a good relationship with this dealer and know the mechanic who looked at it is top notch but they really are missing the boat here.
TRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #86
feldy

Drives: 2013 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
You need to show them the pictures of whats happening. I had to show them pictures and showed the tech first hand. Call Scion Corp if you need to.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #87
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,749 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Since my car was completely disabled they were willing to take the car apart to figure it out. Lol.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #88
AlanLGuy

Drives: Raven 6 speed Manual FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by feldy View Post
You need to show them the pictures of whats happening. I had to show them pictures and showed the tech first hand. Call Scion Corp if you need to.
Do you mean showing pictures of other members carrier assemblies? I had that thought when I came back from the dealership yesterday. Wasn't sure if they would care or not.

I won't begrudge a manufacturer failed axles after a couple years of hard use, but on stock suspension at 12,000 miles with only 16 autocrosses? That's nuts, I'm not even running on concrete. Surprised that up to this point I've only heard of drivers side failures. Must be more load on the drivers side at launch.

2000 Celica GT-S - "Frankenstein" CAI, Boosted2.0 Ported Header, TRD Exhaust, ES Motor Mount Inserts, ES Suspension Bushings, Southbend TZ clutch, Fidanza Flywheel.
AlanLGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #89
feldy

Drives: 2013 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanLGuy View Post
Do you mean showing pictures of other members carrier assemblies? I had that thought when I came back from the dealership yesterday. Wasn't sure if they would care or not.

I won't begrudge a manufacturer failed axles after a couple years of hard use, but on stock suspension at 12,000 miles with only 16 autocrosses? That's nuts, I'm not even running on concrete. Surprised that up to this point I've only heard of drivers side failures. Must be more load on the drivers side at launch.
I was straight forward with them. besides telling them about autocross. I said hey it started clicking the other day in first gear under load. It does it when going into reverse. I said other owners are having the same issue. Showed them the picture. Service guy said I'm going to have the tech guy ride with you. I took him for a ride he couldn't hear it. However I can do it standing still so I had him on the outside on the ground and he heard it and felt it. He torqued the nut down some noise went away for about an hour.

(the tech guy did ask if I was auto crossing the car. I did say no. He said you sure the car is made for it. I said no however I do beat on it on the way to work. I like turning the traction control off. I have a automatic he said normally he sees this on manual cars from slipping the clutch. I also didnt go in with my race harness and came in with my stock tires on the car. I have rce springs and koni yellows he never asked about it.)

on Monday I emailed them letting him know its not doing it as bad as it was. I got a email a few days later telling me a new axle came in for me. I was unaware it was happening. They did fix it and said nothing was broke so I'm not sure what the issue was.
gonzo (05-29-2014)
Old 08-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #90
TRev

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
My dealer knows that I autox and doesn't have a problem with that end of things. I did offer to show them pictures as well as the posts from the forum and the service adviser said it doesn't matter what a few other peoples cars are doing. Unless there was a bulletin for it, there is nothing they will do right now as they didn't hear the noise under normal driving and the noise that happens when loading the car against the e-brake is just the pads shifting.

Mine is coming from the driver's side and it did originally sound like it was coming from the front of the car. It wasn't until I had a friend stand outside the car that we were able to trace it to the rear driver's side of the car.

Last edited by TRev; 08-28-2013 at 09:41 PM.
TRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:38 AM   #91
gonzo

Drives: frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carwhisperer View Post
I've had the clicking/ticking from the front right axel for 7-8kish miles. Guess I should watch out now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere View Post
Ummm... there is no axle in the front of the car.

gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:52 AM   #92
gonzo

Drives: frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanLGuy View Post

I'm at 24,000 miles with only 6 autocrosses and the noise started
gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:52 AM   #93
NYC BRZ
AutoX Addict

Drives: 08 Pontiac G8 GT,13 GBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Can anyone post a video of this noise? I get tons of noises in this car. I hear a clicking when the car comes to a halt or I get out of it coming from the rear driver side.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
2013 BRZ Limited- GBS - 6MT -VIN #0937
~~NYR SCCA # 18 C Street R (CSR)~~
"But there’s no mistaking the noise. This car is loud, and not in a particularly nice way. There’s no crisp exhaust note, no induction wheezing. It’s just the sound of petrol exploding in a metal box." - Jeremy Clarkson
NYC BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:35 PM   #94
Tye300

Drives: Toyota 86 TRD Version AT
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I have a ticking sound coming from my driver side rear now. It sounds like something is rattling around during low speed like 5-10kph. It disappears when I speed up. Is it the same problem? Mine does it more when coasting, less under load.
I can't replicate it with the ebrake technique though.
Tye300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:05 AM   #95
unsurety
aeiou

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Ugh... more and more issues popping up about our cars. I thought I did enough research

I don't regret my purchase one bit, but I wish it didn't have so many deficiencies. I think the axles were superseded by a new part number IIRC. Hopefully they made a design change at some point...

Rather not spend $1k for DSS axles, but they seem like they're great quality.
For that price anyone could get a c6z and have money for a simple heads cam package and make a bunch more power and have a superior handling car. This seems overpriced to say the least. "Have it your way" is basically offering someone a massive dildo to shove up their ass BUT they have the option of choosing the method in which it is inserted....
unsurety is offline   Reply With Quote