follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-12-2018, 06:17 PM   #239
86league

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Any idea how well these flow? Any potential issue with oil pressure with a setup like this vs. the setup Jackson Racing supplied?

Quote:
Originally Posted by METAL_SU-37 View Post

So, I have a 2017 BRZ Series Yellow and I installed this radiator myself
I ran into an issue where the metal 90 of the hose ran into the stock air box, even when rotated. it also completely blocked off my oil fill cap...

I recommend this from Mishimoto
https://www.mishimoto.com/banjo-fitt...0an-black.html
86league is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:50 PM   #240
METAL_SU-37

Drives: 2017 BRZ Series.Yellow
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86league View Post
Any idea how well these flow? Any potential issue with oil pressure with a setup like this vs. the setup Jackson Racing supplied?
Honestly, no idea about flow...

I know the reverse plate that I got has a port for a temperature and pressure sensor gauge. I don't have an oil pressure sensor and gauge installed yet though. where as the jackson racing one you will have to use the location on the block for one. this is one of the things

I spoke with a rep from mishimoto about the thermostatic plate. the thermostat still allows oil to flow though the filter without being warm, it just prevents the cold oil from flowing to the cooler to ease warm up cycle. though, going this route doesn't get you a oil catch plate for the filter. still need to find one for myself

I do notice that the temperatures with the thermostatic plate help warm up faster than without it. (for daily driving use, and to 180*) the total amount of oil the engine is heating up is less that that of the cooler so the temperatures level off while the t-stat starts to allow flow, once the t-stat partially opens, the temperature levels off at about 190* while the cold oil in the cooler is now introduced to the warmer oil already in the engine.

The setup works pretty well, I had to ease up on my driving on i-70 in a stock configuration driving up the mountains as I have seen without the cooler, about 260*F driving.... sketchy. Now the Highest I have seen now with the cooler is 220..? rarely gets that high

Good thing about this radiator combo is it's very hidden, stock look.
bad thing, install is a difficult. i thought it would take me about 4 hours, took me 8... albeit i had distractions... and food... and well you know.
METAL_SU-37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:00 PM   #241
tyler_win_photo

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Will this fit an AVO turbo setup with stock airbox? More curious if the intercooler piping will be an issue.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:19 PM   #242
Sundawg

Drives: SWP BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_win_photo View Post
Will this fit an AVO turbo setup with stock airbox? More curious if the intercooler piping will be an issue.
It's possible with some modification. The stock layout runs one of the lines right into the intercooler pipe. Rotating the line causes it to interfere with the air box. I used a Mishimoto plate (similar to METAL_SU-37) and one banjo bolt to rotate the line and clear the filter The other side uses a straight fitting and the original JR 90 connection.
Sundawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:14 AM   #243
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
After I bought the Banjo bolts and thermostatic plate from Mishimoto
much cleaner, thermostatically controlled, and clearance to actually open the air box and remove a filter.

If you are going to run a thermostatic sandwich you are defeating one of the major points of this unit, which is to have the coolant stabilize the oil temp and bring it up to operating temps faster. You could have saved ~500 and just run a separate oil cooler at this point.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:00 PM   #244
Misfire

Drives: 2017 Series.Yellow, 2005 LGT wagon
Quote:
I spoke with a rep from mishimoto about the thermostatic plate. the thermostat still allows oil to flow though the filter without being warm, it just prevents the cold oil from flowing to the cooler to ease warm up cycle. though, going this route doesn't get you a oil catch plate for the filter. still need to find one for myself

I do notice that the temperatures with the thermostatic plate help warm up faster than without it. (for daily driving use, and to 180*) the total amount of oil the engine is heating up is less that that of the cooler so the temperatures level off while the t-stat starts to allow flow, once the t-stat partially opens, the temperature levels off at about 190* while the cold oil in the cooler is now introduced to the warmer oil already in the engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
If you are going to run a thermostatic sandwich you are defeating one of the major points of this unit, which is to have the coolant stabilize the oil temp and bring it up to operating temps faster. You could have saved ~500 and just run a separate oil cooler at this point.
I was going to mention this too. Coolant heats up faster than the oil will, which would in turn heat up the oil in the cooler faster. The thermostat will negate the JR unit's ability to do that, and will cause the oil to heat up as if it were stock. Also, I believe he had the JR unit before the Mishimoto bits. The Mishimoto bits were to prevent the oil lines from crashing into the 2017 airbox. Mishimoto does sell a plate without the thermostat.
Misfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:21 PM   #245
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
You may want to check with Jackson Racing. My understanding there is a clearance issue with the AVO intercooler and this thicker radiator.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:58 PM   #246
tyler_win_photo

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundawg View Post
It's possible with some modification. The stock layout runs one of the lines right into the intercooler pipe. Rotating the line causes it to interfere with the air box. I used a Mishimoto plate (similar to METAL_SU-37) and one banjo bolt to rotate the line and clear the filter The other side uses a straight fitting and the original JR 90 connection.
Do you happen to have a photo of your setup?
Old 01-23-2018, 10:36 AM   #247
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfire View Post
I was going to mention this too. Coolant heats up faster than the oil will, which would in turn heat up the oil in the cooler faster. The thermostat will negate the JR unit's ability to do that, and will cause the oil to heat up as if it were stock. Also, I believe he had the JR unit before the Mishimoto bits. The Mishimoto bits were to prevent the oil lines from crashing into the 2017 airbox. Mishimoto does sell a plate without the thermostat.
That was my point. If you need the connectors for space that's fine but don't get the thermostat plate.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:40 PM   #248
METAL_SU-37

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfire View Post
I thought so too, but as I daily drive 35 miles of highway, oil temps actually raised slower with the radiator combo than without it. about 15-20 miles for oil temps to be reasonable.... was not pleased when I found that out but it makes sense. Whatever heat goes into the oil is sucked out by the coolant. even still, not only are you trying to heat up an additional quart of oil, but it's always flowing thru the cooler. so any amount of airflow thru the radiator combo will add to the cooling effect.

The reason I bought the Thermostatic plate instead of just a plate is because with the oil temps remaining cold for a good 15 miles after driving, the highest I ever saw was 170..... thermostatic plate makes sure my temps are closer to the recommended 230 from the factory that's all. which it does its job beautifully for what I want.

I agree a little bit I think a separate oil cooler would have been better, for the sake of oil coolers alone, however this tackles 2 things, a larger radiator and an oil cooler, as one. keeps a stock look too...

additional comment:
I don't think that the thermostatic plate is a waste of money, 160 for the t-plate versus 85 for a short plate to work with the banjo bolts, however I am now getting quicker oil warm up as cool oil isn't being chilled by the radiator combo while warming up, I actually warm up around 10 miles sooner with the thermostatic plate than without it. plus it maintains a better operating temperature closer to manufacture recommendations.

I don't think the radiator combo is a waste compared to just a separate oil cooler because it has 2 functions, thicker radiator for more cooling, and oil cooler with stock look, win in my book

if your worried about saving money, don't mod in the first place. but look at people who buy the cosworth supercharger kit for $7k and only gain 80 hp..... there are gems hidden in the mod community for these cars, and I think these 2 mods work beautifully for what I need. just throwing in my experiences to help aid people thinking about buying this combo.
NASA RM TT5
SCCA TT

Last edited by METAL_SU-37; 01-29-2018 at 12:49 PM. Reason: additional comments
Old 01-29-2018, 03:50 PM   #249
killboy

Drives: 1FRS, 1 BRZ, 2S2000s, Evo8, Dak.R/T
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I think the thing we have to keep in mind here is that the antifreeze coolant is on a thermostat, and the coolant in the radiator does not start flowing through the engine until it has come up to temperature and opened the thermostat, so this radiator/cooler combo part is not going to do much to warm up the oil on cold start.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:50 PM   #250
METAL_SU-37

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by killboy View Post
I think the thing we have to keep in mind here is that the antifreeze coolant is on a thermostat, and the coolant in the radiator does not start flowing through the engine until it has come up to temperature and opened the thermostat, so this radiator/cooler combo part is not going to do much to warm up the oil on cold start.
Great explanation!
Can't thank the post yet because I guess I haven't posted enough
NASA RM TT5
SCCA TT
The Following User Says Thank You to METAL_SU-37 For This Useful Post:
killboy (02-20-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 10:24 AM   #251
Colombo

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

I have fit it in my car. I ended up shaving the back side corner of the air box and attached a flat piece of plastic to cover the hole. It’s not pretty but it is a solid solution. Also, clearance is still extremely tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Colombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:28 PM   #252
Hades

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by killboy View Post
So, from what I've read here, this dual radiator/oil cooler should

1) Warm oil up slower than stock
2) Warm oil up faster than oil cooler w/o thermo plate
3) Warm oil up slower than oil cooler w/ thermo plate

Question is, is just this dual radiator/oil cooler adequate for daily driving? Sounds like anything under 20 miles and the oil won't be warm enough, which is no bueno.
Hades is offline   Reply With Quote