follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 03-12-2014, 12:11 PM   #1
dkx64

Drives: 2014 Frs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Wheel Directory: Varrstoen ES221 18x8.5 +45

Hello ft86club I've had my Varrstoen ES221 18x8.5 et45 wheels and Bridgestone re760 tires on the car now for just over 4000 miles now. I'll be giving my impressions and review of the installation along with some pictures of the wheels. I need some time to compile the images and final thoughts so I'll update this thread when I can. Stay posted.

thanks guys!

EDIT: Car is finally lowered 1 inch on all 4 corners on ST coilovers. Pictures here:

Last edited by dkx64; 07-01-2014 at 03:29 AM.
dkx64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:28 PM   #2
dobbrz

Drives: RB v1 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Dang you could have went with the 18x9.5 +34. If you are an aggressive fitment type of guy...
Also, review of the installation? lololol
dobbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:45 PM   #3
dkx64

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbrz View Post
Dang you could have went with the 18x9.5 +34. If you are an aggressive fitment type of guy...
Also, review of the installation? lololol

No thanks on the 9.5. Would have added another 150 for tires and however much more for rolling fenders. Also. Since I've been on stock struts and springs 9.5 doesn't sound like it would have worked without rubbing. 8.5 is plenty wide and makes too much road noise as it is. Going wider would only increase that. I'm not getting FI so I don't need super wide tires. It will still look good with 8.5 when I lower it and I'll throw on some spacers if I need them to get the fitment I'm looking for. But thanks for the advice:
As for install review, it will more or less be a review of Americas tire and the process. To getting them on the car. Just more content for the forums.

Don't be so quick to judge. I haven't really even written anything yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2014, 06:12 PM   #4
dobbrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkx64 View Post
No thanks on the 9.5. Would have added another 150 for tires and however much more for rolling fenders. Also. Since I've been on stock struts and springs 9.5 doesn't sound like it would have worked without rubbing. 8.5 is plenty wide and makes too much road noise as it is. Going wider would only increase that. I'm not getting FI so I don't need super wide tires. It will still look good with 8.5 when I lower it and I'll throw on some spacers if I need them to get the fitment I'm looking for. But thanks for the advice:
As for install review, it will more or less be a review of Americas tire and the process. To getting them on the car. Just more content for the forums.

Don't be so quick to judge. I haven't really even written anything yet.

That's fine. I said if you were going for aggressive fitment. I am running 235/40s on 9.5 and they were around 100 each for tires. And I rolled my fenders myself. As for tire noise, I don't think you would experience much more noise for bumping up one tire size. Width is only one variable in terms of tire noise. You would likely rub if you were on stock suspension, I just assumed you were lowered because my brain automatically thinks when I get wheels I lower my car at the same time. So my bad on that.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:40 PM   #5
dkx64

Garage
Quote:
That's fine. I said if you were going for aggressive fitment. I am running 235/40s on 9.5 and they were around 100 each for tires. And I rolled my fenders myself. As for tire noise, I don't think you would experience much more noise for bumping up one tire size. Width is only one variable in terms of tire noise. You would likely rub if you were on stock suspension, I just assumed you were lowered because my brain automatically thinks when I get wheels I lower my car at the same time. So my bad on that.
You are not wrong on the lowering part. I am currently on stock suspension, however I have ST coilovers sitting on my bed. They will go on the car as soon as I have a chance to. I'm in no hurry to start scraping everywhere. I have 245/35 tires on 8.5 and I unfortunately couldn't bring myself to buy the cheapest tire I could lol. Nexens come to mind, ewww. I went with a size that I knew would work with stock suspension as I was unsure I was even going to lower my car in the first place, and got the best tire that I could afford. I also am not a fan of stretching a tire as you have done. If you had bought a proper size tire for the size wheel you bought, it would have been quite a bit more money. I have a wider tire than you on a smaller wheel. I think you have it assbackwards. As for lowering my car and getting wheels and tires at the same time, not many people can afford to buy all of their upgrades at the same time. I've been spreading out my upgrades ever since I bought the car as I dont have a huge income right now. I get things as I can afford them. It's something I knew would take a while from the start. And while that may limit my options slightly because of any fitment issues, I live with it. Anyways, you can check out my build thread for updates.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:54 PM   #6
dobbrz

Quote:
You are not wrong on the lowering part. I am currently on stock suspension, however I have ST coilovers sitting on my bed. They will go on the car as soon as I have a chance to. I'm in no hurry to start scraping everywhere. I have 245/35 tires on 8.5 and I unfortunately couldn't bring myself to buy the cheapest tire I could lol. Nexens come to mind, ewww. I went with a size that I knew would work with stock suspension as I was unsure I was even going to lower my car in the first place, and got the best tire that I could afford. I also am not a fan of stretching a tire as you have done. If you had bought a proper size tire for the size wheel you bought, it would have been quite a bit more money. I have a wider tire than you on a smaller wheel. I think you have it assbackwards. As for lowering my car and getting wheels and tires at the same time, not many people can afford to buy all of their upgrades at the same time. I've been spreading out my upgrades ever since I bought the car as I dont have a huge income right now. I get things as I can afford them. It's something I knew would take a while from the start. And while that may limit my options slightly because of any fitment issues, I live with it. Anyways, you can check out my build thread for updates.
lol I'm not trying to start a fight with you. 235/40 on a 9.5 is far from a dangerous amount of stretch. I think it is quite a good balance between form and function. You can easily fit a 215/40 on a 9.5 if you wanted. (not that it would be totally safe) I am not condoning stretching tires. And I am not trying to start an argument. And never did I tell you that you bought the wrong size tires and that you are ass backwards. Don't get your pantys in a knot. This all started because you took helpful advice I was giving IF you wanted aggressive fitment, and you thought I was dissing your setup. Be happy with your average fitting wheels and overly wide tires for stock power. (imo) Once again. 235 is extremely minor stretch on 9.5 compared to what some other people and car groups do. No need to get all high and mighty because when it comes down to it we are both on replica wheels pretending we are on te37s LOL.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:00 PM   #7
dkx64

Garage
Quote:
lol I'm not trying to start a fight with you. 235/40 on a 9.5 is far from a dangerous amount of stretch. I think it is quite a good balance between form and function. You can easily fit a 215/40 on a 9.5 if you wanted. (not that it would be totally safe) I am not condoning stretching tires. And I am not trying to start an argument. And never did I tell you that you bought the wrong size tires and that you are ass backwards. Don't get your pantys in a knot. This all started because you took helpful advice I was giving IF you wanted aggressive fitment, and you thought I was dissing your setup. Be happy with your average fitting wheels and overly wide tires for stock power. (imo) Once again. 235 is extremely minor stretch on 9.5 compared to what some other people and car groups do. No need to get all high and mighty because when it comes down to it we are both on replica wheels pretending we are on te37s LOL.
No worries man. I'm not trying to argue with you either. Just stating my opinion just as you are. At the end of the day it is what it is and we both got what we could afford. I could never justify buying volks, if they ever got stolen Id go insane. If any wheel got stolen I'd go insane, but im less scared about a 900 dollar set of wheels getting ripped than a 3600 set. We just use our money more wisely than some, thats all:P They look similar enough to volks without being volks, but I dont care that they arent volks in the slightest, plus ill never see a track, so I dont need to spend a fortune for light and strong wheels that wont do me any good on the street to and from work. I got what I thought looked good for the price point. Enjoy yours! I know I'm enjoying mine.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:16 AM   #8
dobbrz

Old 03-13-2014, 01:54 AM   #9
dkx64

Garage
Updated the OP with some pictures from my build thread. thanks
Old 03-13-2014, 02:10 AM   #10
Tansey86

Drives: 2003 Subaru Outback
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
No worries man. I'm not trying to argue with you either. Just stating my opinion just as you are. At the end of the day it is what it is and we both got what we could afford. I could never justify buying volks, if they ever got stolen Id go insane. If any wheel got stolen I'd go insane, but im less scared about a 900 dollar set of wheels getting ripped than a 3600 set. We just use our money more wisely than some, thats all:P They look similar enough to volks without being volks, but I dont care that they arent volks in the slightest, plus ill never see a track, so I dont need to spend a fortune for light and strong wheels that wont do me any good on the street to and from work. I got what I thought looked good for the price point. Enjoy yours! I know I'm enjoying mine.
Dont listen to someone who says 235's are fine on a 9.5" wheel. Car looks clean. Thanks for not running ridiculous camber and stretched tires. People could learn from this setup.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:16 AM   #11
dkx64

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tansey86 View Post
Dont listen to someone who says 235's are fine on a 9.5" wheel. Car looks clean. Thanks for not running ridiculous camber and stretched tires. People could learn from this setup.

Pretty sure his build thread says he's running 225 in the front lol. Whatever makes him happy. I'm not knocking him. I'd just feel like my tires would just slide right off the rim on the freeway or something. As for camber. I like my tires. I want them to last as long as possible. They won't be cambered even after it's lowered.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:54 AM   #12
dobbrz

I'm still alive! no worries. I am running 225 on the front but my wheels are being sold beginning of april
Old 03-13-2014, 11:05 AM   #13
dkx64

Garage
Quote:
I'm still alive! no worries. I am running 225 on the front but my wheels are being sold beginning of april

Which wheels are you going to get if you don't mind me asking?

Old 03-13-2014, 07:58 PM   #14
dobbrz

xxr 968. Can't afford to drop thousands on wheels so still on the fake wheel bandwagon. Not really an upgrade but I think I am going to like them.
Also...I'm not going to beat this to death. But 235/40 on a 9.5 is "fine". It is not ideal, but it is a very mild stretch. And stretched tires are the most dangerous if you are dumb and don't check tire pressure. There is no doubt that running stretched tires raises the probability of breaking the bead when your tire goes flat... So yes, it is slightly more dangerous...but I am more worried about being struck by lightning. Especially with such a mild stretch. Check out some of the setups on http://tyrestretch.com/
Many of those are extreme and I would never go that far..haha