follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-16-2016, 04:23 AM   #29
tracerit

Drives: '13 SSM BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
CVs on these cars are notorious for going out, especially on lowered cars or cars that get beat on/drifted/tracked/autoXd.

Replaced both of my CVs at the dealer under warranty on my old FRS. Car was totally stock. First one was with only a couple AutoXs on the car. Second one was after some track days. Let the dealer check it out and they'll replace it.

What's a way to check if the CVs are okay? My limited car knowledge tells me to check the boot to make sure it's not torn or exposed.
tracerit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:11 PM   #30
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit View Post
What's a way to check if the CVs are okay? My limited car knowledge tells me to check the boot to make sure it's not torn or exposed.
Checking for a worn, cracked or leaking boot is a good start.

I'd suggest you jack up the car and try to rotate the wheel ...... there shouldn't be any noticeable play in either of the CV joints.

However, @tracerit, with your "history",.......... I wouldn't worry about a bad CV joint unless you hear a "clicking" sound, especially in the turns.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
tracerit (03-16-2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 06:54 PM   #31
ft_86

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
UPDATE #2

Just got off the phone with the dealer. They said that the axles and boots were fine, no signs of wear and tear, just like I thought. Said that they couldn't find anything related to the noise, they did mention that there was a small noise but it was inconsistent (don't know what that means). They said that the next step is to test drive the car with a technician. I'll mention if they could readjust the e-brakes and see if they could re-torque my axle nuts although I'm fairly certain that they'll charge me for both jobs.
ft_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:55 PM   #32
Aztec
Lost in the twisties

Drives: 2014 BRZ Dark Gray Metallic
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
100% axle nuts

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:57 PM   #33
ft_86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztec View Post
100% axle nuts

Tried that already, although I didn't torque it more than spec. Be a shame to pay $150 just to change the axle nut :/
Old 03-16-2016, 06:58 PM   #34
Aztec
Lost in the twisties

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft_86 View Post
Tried that already, although I didn't torque it more than spec. Be a shame to pay $150 just to change the axle nut :/
You tried replacing one side. And tried torquing it yourself... buy new nuts which I'm assuming you already did, take it to a better place than the dealer
Old 03-16-2016, 07:04 PM   #35
Aztec
Lost in the twisties

Dealer will just fuck you over. I had a technician ride with me. He HEARD the clicking and he blamed it on my lowering springs lol. Refused to work on it without crazy charges.

Axle nuts are dirt cheap, and my performance shop I think charged me 40 or 50 to figure out the issue lol

Old 03-16-2016, 08:19 PM   #36
ft_86

UPDATE #3

Test drove the car with the technician. He said that it might be a brake slap. I have no clue what this is right now so I'll be doing a bit of research tonight.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:11 PM   #37
ft_86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztec View Post
Dealer will just fuck you over. I had a technician ride with me. He HEARD the clicking and he blamed it on my lowering springs lol. Refused to work on it without crazy charges.

Axle nuts are dirt cheap, and my performance shop I think charged me 40 or 50 to figure out the issue lol

I don't know if we're talking about the same issue. I guess I can better explain it as if something metal is hitting the a flag pole (don't know if that makes sense). This usually happens when I'm going at really low speeds, 5-15 mph and not accelerating, just letting the car go. This thread explains the noise it a bit better:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62324
Old 03-17-2016, 12:08 AM   #38
Aztec
Lost in the twisties

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft_86 View Post
I don't know if we're talking about the same issue. I guess I can better explain it as if something metal is hitting the a flag pole (don't know if that makes sense). This usually happens when I'm going at really low speeds, 5-15 mph and not accelerating, just letting the car go. This thread explains the noise it a bit better:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62324
I can 99% guarantee that I'm talking about the same noise. Here is a link to a video with the noise that I had.

Mine only happened at low speeds, and especially bad when rolling backwards and going up a hill in 1st. It's not a constant clicking, just a click or two here and there.

I'm going to stop trying, I did the exact same research you probably have done. I'm trying to help you save time and money lol. The dealer will not help you properly IMO
And it is just the axle nuts, replace both and torque above spec and make sure they have that divot in them when they are fully put on
The Following User Says Thank You to Aztec For This Useful Post:
ft_86 (03-17-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 10:41 AM   #39
ft_86

*****PROBLEM FIXED*****

After going back and forth with the dealer, they finally managed to find the problem, a broken TPMS sensor in the rear passenger wheel. I'm not 100% sure that this caused my problem but once they replaced it my noise went away. However, if anyone else is having this problem, I would definitely check the axle nuts and cv joints, as they do tend to go bad, first and then check the TPMS sensor.

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to ft_86 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-25-2016)