follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-02-2014, 08:48 AM   #15
Harvey

Drives: Celica 5th Gen, Tiburon 04, GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Well!!!! Thanks Guys! My problem seems solved by a simple 1/8 turn on each five of the screws. More test driving will come, but I did a reasonable test drive after the fix and didn't produce the sound once!!! So hopefully that's it for now. I'm happy, because it was a shame, a part from that I found the car sounded rather smooth, sturdy and solid. So now it does sound smooth and solid (I happen to have no other rattles ... yet).

However a few comments/questions all the same.... just how tight are these screws meant to be? I mean mine were pretty loose, two of them could be unscrewed with the socket and without the wrench, trying hard I could have undone one by hand I'd say. They were all five "just loose", I mean I put 1/8 a turn (1/4 at most) really easy and they then felt locked and it would have required great effort to get another 1/8 on them? Looks like they were kind of put in place (hand tight) but not really tightened (robot was tired)... I'm thinking of posting an email to Toyota to ask them the specification torque on these and tell them how mine were.

In all cases, thanks, the forum information gave me the conviction (and details about how to get to them) to go for it and I'm pleased I did rather than leaving it at the dealer (where their main plan/threat was to keep it 3 or 4 days, tear it appart, try to locate the problem, pray they find it and can fix it, and hope that no new rattles would appear after putting it back together.... knowing they were convinced it was more like "exhaust/underneath related" ....)
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harvey For This Useful Post:
xtral (09-12-2015)
Old 07-02-2014, 11:05 AM   #16
Tagera

Drives: Hot Lava/2013 FR-S/Automatic
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I don't think they're supposed to be loose at all really. Certainly not finger turnable. Paranoid now and thinking I should check mine to see if any of creaks are from that.
Tagera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:48 AM   #17
Harvey

Drives: Celica 5th Gen, Tiburon 04, GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If you do I'd be curious to know how tight/loose they are...

Makes me think of RC model stuff which is "pre assembled" and it's up to the owner to finalise the build and "check all the scews".... in fact our GT86s are in fact pre built!

Last edited by Harvey; 07-02-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:02 PM   #18
mike the snake

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
A long screwdriver, or any long, solid rod can be used as a stethoscope.

Used this many many times to find where noises were coming from.
mike the snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 02:42 PM   #19
xtral

Drives: Ford Focus 09'
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
Well!!!! Thanks Guys! My problem seems solved by a simple 1/8 turn on each five of the screws. More test driving will come, but I did a reasonable test drive after the fix and didn't produce the sound once!!! So hopefully that's it for now. I'm happy, because it was a shame, a part from that I found the car sounded rather smooth, sturdy and solid. So now it does sound smooth and solid (I happen to have no other rattles ... yet).

However a few comments/questions all the same.... just how tight are these screws meant to be? I mean mine were pretty loose, two of them could be unscrewed with the socket and without the wrench, trying hard I could have undone one by hand I'd say. They were all five "just loose", I mean I put 1/8 a turn (1/4 at most) really easy and they then felt locked and it would have required great effort to get another 1/8 on them? Looks like they were kind of put in place (hand tight) but not really tightened (robot was tired)... I'm thinking of posting an email to Toyota to ask them the specification torque on these and tell them how mine were.

In all cases, thanks, the forum information gave me the conviction (and details about how to get to them) to go for it and I'm pleased I did rather than leaving it at the dealer (where their main plan/threat was to keep it 3 or 4 days, tear it appart, try to locate the problem, pray they find it and can fix it, and hope that no new rattles would appear after putting it back together.... knowing they were convinced it was more like "exhaust/underneath related" ....)

I have the same problem on the new 16 brz.
The dealer tried to fix in their own way by loose the metal part with a flat head screwdriver.
However the rattle happens still several times during a drive, and also the roof can seen a little deformed from exterior almost on a 0.5 cm areas, although it can only be seen under the strong light in a dark place, but that really irks me. I will not believe there sincerity to fixing the rattle issues.

Is there any chance you know the size/model of tools I should use to tighten these 5 bolts ?

Merci d'avance.
xtral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:23 AM   #20
xtral

Drives: Ford Focus 09'
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytduc View Post
I did, I just tighten the 6 bolts( 3 each side) alittle bit more and the noise went away. I too thought it was coming from the rear deck but was wrong. Been almost a year now and still no cracking type noise from that area.
what size of wrench/tool should I use to tighten these bolts ?
Is there any guide to remove the roof interior cover and trim ?

Thanks!
xtral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:37 PM   #21
calmtigers

Drives: 2014 Whiteout TRD FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
fuck those creaks in the roof sooooo annoying
"I love dinosaurs so much that I’ve based my life on burning as much black melted dinosaur flesh as I can on a daily basis...even the screaming sound of prehistoric reptilians being burnt through any of the classic Japanese four cylinders gives me great joy."
calmtigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:37 PM   #22
MJones_RB

Drives: Scion FR-S Series 10 #2462
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I had a similar sound coming from the roof area. Turned out it was actually the passenger seat vibrating. I reclined it a bit, declined it back and now it's quiet. Weird.
MJones_RB is offline   Reply With Quote