follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-22-2019, 11:11 AM   #29
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
Once you get the wheels off there is a plastic liner you have to remove. From there you need little Gnomes to get in the engine bay and change the battery. Worst Design Ever!!!
Wrong you clueless stanceBro CamberKing F...tard! There is more to it then just the plastic part. You have to take off the wheel. Then that big metal painted thingy. THEN the plastic part.
Gnomes are clearly needed for German cars so you need to have some Yōsei on hand to deal with Japanese ones.

dodj (12-24-2019), Grady (12-23-2019)
Old 12-23-2019, 12:28 PM   #30
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Wrong you clueless stanceBro CamberKing F...tard! There is more to it then just the plastic part. You have to take off the wheel. Then that big metal painted thingy. THEN the plastic part.
Gnomes are clearly needed for German cars so you need to have some Yōsei on hand to deal with Japanese ones.

Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 04:01 AM   #31
Trueweltall

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My last cars stock battery went 7 or 8 years from freezing MO,MD winters to hot FL summers. Just remember to top off the fluid every year and trickle charge it once and a while. My BRZ is going on 4 years with the stock battery.
Trueweltall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 02:23 PM   #32
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
My BRZ is 4yrs and I am replacing the battery. It does vary but I think with battery being smaller that doesn't help. I think I'm going with the Lion for the lighter weight and consistent power even if it's less starts overall.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:54 AM   #33
Lim

Drives: Scion FRS 2016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Canada. 3.5 years. Time to change I think. In my older cars they lasted about 6 years.

My FRS still starts in cold after few cranks, but funny enough remote control door opener stop working after short trip.
If it parked outside in cold I can open car remotely and start it. But after I do short drive like 2km, remote stop working. Funny enough it start working after 10-15 minutes of just standing in warmer place.
My guess with all electric battery drain large enough that alternator does not have time to charge it on short drive and voltage drops.

It got a bit warmer now and remote works all the time. So I guess if you have remote key intermittent failure to open car after short trips might be good indicator to change battery or at least to test it.
Lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 01:27 PM   #34
davesrave

Drives: 2014 Boxster S; 2015 Macan S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lim View Post
Canada. 3.5 years. Time to change I think. In my older cars they lasted about 6 years.

My FRS still starts in cold after few cranks, but funny enough remote control door opener stop working after short trip.
If it parked outside in cold I can open car remotely and start it. But after I do short drive like 2km, remote stop working. Funny enough it start working after 10-15 minutes of just standing in warmer place.
My guess with all electric battery drain large enough that alternator does not have time to charge it on short drive and voltage drops.

It got a bit warmer now and remote works all the time. So I guess if you have remote key intermittent failure to open car after short trips might be good indicator to change battery or at least to test it.
Sounds like the battery in the remote control is dying.
davesrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 01:36 PM   #35
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Drives: 17 White 860. RCE Tarmac 2. RE-71RS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
My oem battery lasted less than two years.
I paid for a charging system diagnostic test and new Toyota battery at the dealer. The charging system, "Checked out ok", and the new battery exploded on the hottest day of the summer leaking acid out of the weep holes, and all over my firewall and down into the transmission tunnel, stripping the paint off. That battery was replaced for free, but it happened a second time to the third battery.
Toyota Canada has refused to paint my car, and the dealership tech suspects the charging system, that "Checked out ok" in their original test.
I'm told a "Wendy" is looking at a claim with the battery manufacturer, but it's been 6 months now and I've not once been contacted with an update. Anything I've ever gotten in the way of communication has been because I showed up at the dealership.
Tokay444 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 02:24 PM   #36
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I've had 2 batteries that both died on their 3rd winters.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 10:43 PM   #37
Brooklyn

Drives: 2014 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
This is my 6th winter and the other day it completely didn't start and I had to boost it. I also hadn't driven it in a few days so that might have been a factor too. Anyway I'll see how it treats me for the rest of the winter otherwise I'll just replace it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodj View Post
How much life do you Canadians and northern state Americans get out of a battery?
Myself I usually get 5-6 years on an AGM battery on all my vehicles EXCEPT the BRZ. It seems to need a new battery every three years.

I have a 2013 Sport tech BRZ. In 2016, the factory Panasonic battery couldn't start the car in the cold. So I replaced it with an AGM battery. This morning.....that battery started the BRZ but just barely. Time for a new one again.
You guys out there have a similar experience?
Brooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote