follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 07-21-2014, 04:06 PM   #1
RaineyStar

Drives: Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone with FI in the GTA?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section but who tuned your car? what kit? power? issues? and how much did cost ya?
hearing so much blown engine stories makes me really worried abt the tuner/ tune

thanks in advance
RaineyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:44 PM   #2
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
There's quite a few floating around, not sure how active they are on here.

Get a good tuner that knows the platform inside and out, and listen to their advice on where to draw the line on power. If you're unsure, reach out to non local tuners that have lots of experience for guidance. CC @jamesm @nelsmar
Old 07-21-2014, 08:18 PM   #3
BatStig
Some say.....

Drives: 2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
@OPSash (Sasha) at OnPoint Dyno has tuned a number of NA, turbo and supercharged twins including Pat Cyr's drift monster. He did my NA FR-S and I love it!

www.onpointdyno.com
BatStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:59 PM   #4
nelsmar

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Every tuner is going to give you a different story for what is safe. It depends on fuel type, setup, and the quality of a tune. The tune is a very big deal. I personally like to keep pump gas cars under the 300whp mark and under 400 on ethanol but people always ask for more. I'll push a car to where someone wants it. But I give them my opinion first typically. Track cars are going to get abused more in a short period of time and the tune usually ends up being extra conservative.

This engine so far seems to hold up quite well but it is still a very young platform for anyone to decide what the full limits are. There are a fair number of 400+ cars daily driven these days but you also have to realize how often they are actually being beaten on and realize that there are also many blown cars at that power level.

Go with a tuner you trust and preferably someone experienced on this platform as it is a tad different than most especially when you start upgrading the fuel system. There is a fair but of work involved getting injectors dialed in on these when compared to cars like the wrx.
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:08 AM   #5
wparsons

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatStig View Post
@OPSash (Sasha) at OnPoint Dyno has tuned a number of NA, turbo and supercharged twins including Pat Cyr's drift monster. He did my NA FR-S and I love it!

www.onpointdyno.com
I have a lot of respect for Sasha, but some of his results leave me scratching my head. Specifically, Vihn's car made ~180whp N/A (intake and exhaust, stock header), but someone else's car only made 190whp with the Innovate supercharger? Same dyno, same tuner, doesn't add up.

Can you post your final chart out of curiousity?
Old 07-22-2014, 08:49 AM   #6
drewbot
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S A/T
Thanked 1,452 Times in 752 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Paging @Ocho Seis
drewbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:27 PM   #7
BatStig
Some say.....

Drives: 2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
I have a lot of respect for Sasha, but some of his results leave me scratching my head. Specifically, Vihn's car made ~180whp N/A (intake and exhaust, stock header), but someone else's car only made 190whp with the Innovate supercharger? Same dyno, same tuner, doesn't add up.

Can you post your final chart out of curiousity?
This will make you scratch your head even more! All I know is my car feels great! I do, however, want to get my car on a different dyno sometime.
Attached Images

BatStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:30 AM   #8
86pro

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
DMT tunes our cars. I have ecutek racerom, You should check them out. And yes im boosted .
www.dynamotorsports.ca
86pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:54 PM   #9
wparsons

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatStig View Post
This will make you scratch your head even more! All I know is my car feels great! I do, however, want to get my car on a different dyno sometime.
That torque "curve" is amazing! So flat (there's a first time any guy says that's a good thing )

You've officially sold me on the JDL (like I needed any more convincing), still need to hear it in person sometime to make sure the volume isn't too much for me.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:49 PM   #10
drewbot
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S A/T
Thanked 1,452 Times in 752 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Go to Brampton Toyota, ask to test drive this car:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/m...ationFlag=true

Previous owner was on this forum, last I heard it was pushing 300 whp with a Kraftwerks kit, sitting on Rivals
drewbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:43 AM   #11
harkbrz

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2013
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My car was actually the one that made "only" 190 :P with the twin screw. What we learned from tuning my car was that how restrictive the oem header really is. It limits the potential significantly. From my understanding Sasha didn't feel comfortable pushing it any further than he did because of the heat being built up/pushed back up through the header. Also, 91 (what I was tuned for) vs 94 octane apparantly also makes a world of difference.

NA Application w/ header and 94 octane will make 180-190
Twin Screw w/ OEM header on 91 made around 190..

but..

Twin screw w/ header + 94 Octane should push 230... not just pulling these numbers out of my ass.. Chris from Touge Tuning was telling about a car Sasha had tuned after mine.. All it had differnet from mine was UEL header and 94 octane and he hit 224.

I'll be doing phase two of my build later next month..

72.5mm pulley, Highflow Filter, EL Header + 94 Octane.. see where that gets me .. Might stick with 91 octane though.. car seems pretty sensitive to inconsistent fuels.. atleast with shell 91 I know what I'm getting everytime I fill up.

Cars been great so far.. no complaints what so ever.. only time I ever had issue was when I put in petro 94.. the car just wasnt' happy... but once I got shell 91 back in there everything was fine. Haven't tracked it or anything, but day to day driving (spirited at times, when its safe of course ) has been great.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:48 AM   #12
harkbrz

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2013
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Also, should add..

Sasha and Chris @ Touge Tuning have both been great. Any time I've had any questions or concerns they've been prompt in helping me out.. never once making me feel like I was annoying them or asking a stupid question... even though I was definitely being annoying and my questions were beyond stupid in hindsight.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:01 AM   #13
wparsons

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by harkbrz View Post
My car was actually the one that made "only" 190 :P with the twin screw. What we learned from tuning my car was that how restrictive the oem header really is. It limits the potential significantly. From my understanding Sasha didn't feel comfortable pushing it any further than he did because of the heat being built up/pushed back up through the header. Also, 91 (what I was tuned for) vs 94 octane apparantly also makes a world of difference.

NA Application w/ header and 94 octane will make 180-190
Twin Screw w/ OEM header on 91 made around 190
Vihn's car made 180whp on the stock header, just AEM intake and miltek exhaust. "BatStig" made 170whp with a JDL header, full exhaust and 94 octane.

Brutally bad california 91 octane (read the whole article to see just how bad), CARB legal off the shelf tune made 193whp:

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ercharger.aspx

There's also this chart:

The stock header isn't nearly as bad as on most cars, if people are making 200whp N/A on e85 on it, I can't see it being that bad of a restriction. You should be able to get WELL over 200whp with the Innovate kit on the stock header.

There might be something more to the 91 vs 94 octane up here though. I found that I got a lot of knock on Shell 91 in the midrange (but not WOT) on a 91 octane tune, but with Petro 94 on a 93 octane tune I'm getting no knock in the midrange at all. It was bad enough on the 91 octane tune that I was dropping the IAM down to like 0.5 when I was stuck in traffic.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:29 AM   #14
1Cor10:23

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S (M/T)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
There might be something more to the 91 vs 94 octane up here though. I found that I got a lot of knock on Shell 91 in the midrange (but not WOT) on a 91 octane tune, but with Petro 94 on a 93 octane tune I'm getting no knock in the midrange at all. It was bad enough on the 91 octane tune that I was dropping the IAM down to like 0.5 when I was stuck in traffic.
Second this...I have to put on my flame suit when I tell people that Shell 91 isn't that great, even on stock tune for knock. Midrange has the most aggressive timing so it's not a surprise for that to happen, particularly under high-load situations. It's mostly when you're in 2500-3500 RPM, especially if there's a bit of a climb.
1Cor10:23 is offline   Reply With Quote