follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
Anisimov

Drives: BRZ hopefully
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Cool Excellent new BRZ / FR-S Drivetrain + Powertrain Pics

Hopefully not a repost

From google translate:

Subaru (FHI), FR sport "BRZ" a small co-developed with Toyota Motor Corporation. Was also announced that the configuration is 3 and grade, "S" "R" "RA" to determine the release date on March 28.

The exterior and interior are introduced in the news and "see in the picture" already here, we want to introduce a mechanism for a little more deep.

■ Engine
"Said a low center of gravity" has it become a basic concept of BRZ. Its benefits along with the two points it is possible to reduce the role, that draw the full power of the tire. In other words, with or without hard suspension settings than necessary, or to install a high-grip tires, a translation can pursue handling performance.

However, it's easy only if written as "low center of gravity" just, quite difficult when it comes to the actual form. If the BRZ, FA20 engine of adoption "D-4S and the next generation, horizontally opposed" is that its core. As you know, the main stream of the company have just handed over to the third generation from FB20 and if Subaru EJ20 fan. Say it has been positioned has been newly developed and FA20-only (so far) there is a dare, and the car is BRZ & 86 with the more important role.

FA20 is a big point of, and specially designed intake manifold (hereinafter, intake manifold) and exhaust manifold (hereinafter, the exhaust manifold), but the adoption of thin oil pan it. This will clarify the features of the high center of gravity horizontally-opposed engine is lower than the engine originally series. And has achieved a very low center of gravity height and 460mm, the minimum ground clearance of 130mm. Also to the rear center position of the engine at the same time. Is also offset to the rear 240mm compared to the new Impreza, on the axle of the front wheel was almost. Weight distribution when you are around the front seat and ride 2 53:47 This, you can enjoy the fun of unique and FR.

■ Transmission
There are two types of transmission and a 6-speed AT 6-speed MT. MT is a single cone synchro over triple-cone, a 4-speed to 6, in the range shift feeling daily rate has been increased from 1 to 3. AT is electronically controlled adaptive control was adopted. Adaptive control and determine what the road conditions and vehicle state from the accelerator opening, that control is performed in accordance with the intent of the driver. 3 provides a mode of "SPORT" "SNOW" "(manual) M", has become a mechanism, such as running can enjoy according to the situation by changing the degree of control interventions, respectively.

It has become a royal road to select the MT given the run, there is only one problem. It should be turned to what was assumed 205Nm (20.9kgm) / 6400 ~ 6600rpm which is the current engine torque capacity of the transmission. Would have been taken from the factor of safety to some extent, it would not matter if a little about, such as response to the large torque 422Nm (43.0kgm) / 4400rpm Impreza WRX STI is it has not been assumed, for example. But that the drive train, otherwise the propeller shaft and drive shaft and differential, and there is enough space in the AT it.

However, there is no problem at all levels, even if it is about fine-tuned 6-speed MT. So there is a commensurate need to put hand to the engine if you plan to give more power and torque, there is a story about "Me and the brothers are also enhanced transmission if you do up there." Paradoxically, it will also with a supercharger (MT vehicles) does not publish unless you solve this problem

■ Suspension
The same combination, such as front suspension Impreza / McPherson strut, rear and / Double wishbone. However, the details are quite different.

Strut front cross member and lower arm employs a new shape. Reverses the orientation of the front and rear lower arm, and become the front side mount position, significant changes have been made. In addition, the attention also to the coil spring. If the front, because the bottom is above the tire mount, spring rate patterns earn you reduce the number of generally larger diameter wound. But, placed inside the tire diameter in bottom mount suppressing the BRZ. He has achieved a sporty style reduces the height of the front hood.

Newly designed rear sub-frame. As well as to optimize the suspension geometry, which enables deployment of large-capacity def.
Attached Images

Anisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to Anisimov For This Useful Post:
1quickchic (05-27-2017), 350zgoingFRS_lol (06-13-2014), AlexTheGreek (02-18-2013), amram (03-26-2014), BabaYaga (10-22-2015), Blokatos (04-29-2016), chaotichoax (10-20-2012), chas3wba0 (02-01-2015), driftking96 (02-19-2016), dun3 (01-11-2013), eurominican (04-14-2013), FRSapex (10-08-2013), FRSNewb (02-01-2015), Ganthrithor (01-25-2021), jcw99 (02-13-2017), Josue Cafe FR-S (06-21-2016), keelerad (02-28-2013), mid_life_crisis (06-20-2013), Panda Mao (04-29-2014), PNW FRS (06-21-2013), PWBRZ (06-16-2015), Ramster (03-10-2014), SirBrass (11-27-2013), stock (06-09-2016), SuperDave (10-24-2014), Thrilled (08-29-2016), tm86 (04-25-2016), WRB-DZA-BRZ (01-23-2014)
Old 03-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
coyote

Drives: Slowly
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Awesome post. Thank you.
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
merlin2111

Drives: Widebody '94 Miata R-Package
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Come on tech guys. Provide some insight onto the unknown.

I <3 my Miata.
But I <3 my new BRZ even more!
merlin2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #4
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Drives: EFF JAY
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Geez those sway bar endlinks are long. I hope Gendron makes an aftermarket bar for the BRZ.
iLuveKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #5
Brownboy

Drives: 05 Subaru Legacy, 13 GBS BRZ???
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuveKetchup View Post
Geez those sway bar endlinks are long. I hope Gendron makes an aftermarket bar for the BRZ.
This is exactly what I was thinking when looking at the front close-up pics...
Brownboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #6
Yobiwan

Drives: Toyota 86 Turbo, Lexus NX300H
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
original source http://car.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/...28_513701.html

スバル(富士重工業)が、トヨタ自動車と共同開発した小型FRスポーツ「BRZ」。発売日が3月28日に決 定し、「S」「R」「RA」と3グレード構成であることも発表された。
 すでにニュースや「写真で見る」においてエクステリア&インテリアを紹介しているが、ここではもう少しデ ィープにメカニズムを紹介していきたい。
■エンジン
 BRZの基本コンセプトとなるのが「低重心」だ。そのメリットはロールを少なくすることができるとともに 、タイヤの能力を最大限に引き出せるという2点。つまり、必要以上にハードなサスペンション設定としたり、 ハイグリップタイヤを装着したりすることなく、ハンドリング性能を追求できるワケだ。
 が、単に「低重心」と書くだけならカンタンだが、実際カタチにするとなるとなかなかに難しい。BRZの場 合、そのコアとなるのが「水平対向&次世代D-4S」採用のFA20エンジン。スバルファンならご存じのとおり、同社のメインストリームはEJ20から第 3世代となるFB20にバトンタッチしたばかり。そこをあえて(今のところ)専用となるFA20を新開発し てきたのは、BRZ&86がそれだけ重要な役割を持ったクルマと位置づけられているといえる。
 FA20の大きなポイントは、専用設計となるインテークマニホールド(以下、インマニ)とエキゾーストマ ニホールド(以下、エキマニ)、それに薄型オイルパンの採用だ。これにより、もともと直列エンジンより重心 高が低い水平対向エンジンの特長を明確化。460mmときわめて低い重心高と、130mmの最低地上高を実 現している。同時にエンジンの中心位置も後方へ。新型インプレッサと比較すると240mmも後方へオフセッ トされ、ほぼ前輪の車軸上となった。これにより前席2名乗車時の前後重量配分は53:47と、FRならでは の楽しさを満喫できるとしている。
■トランスミッション
 トランスミッションは6速MTと6速ATの2タイプ。MTは1~3速をトリプルコーン、4~6速をシング ルコーンシンクロ化、日常域でのシフトフィーリングが高められている。ATはアダプティブ制御を採用した電 子制御式。アダプティブ制御とはアクセル開度や車両状態などから道路状況を判断、ドライバーの意図に沿った 制御を行うというもの。「M(マニュアル)」「SPORT」「SNOW」の3モードが用意されており、それ ぞれ制御の介入度を変えることでシチュエーションに応じた走りが楽しめるような仕組みとなって いる。
 走りを考えるとMTを選択するのが王道となるが、1つだけ問題がある。それはトランスミッションの容量が 現状のエンジントルクである205Nm(20.9kgm)/6400~6600rpmを前提としたものになっていること。ある程度の安全率がとられているだろうから、 少しぐらいなら問題ないだろうが、例えばインプレッサ WRX STIの422Nm(43.0kgm)/4400rpmといった大トルクへの対応は想定されていないのだ。それ以外のドライブトレーン、デフやプロ ペラシャフト&ドライブシャフト、それにATでは十分な余裕があるとのことだ。
 もっとも、ファインチューン程度なら6速MTでもまったく問題のないレベル。それ以上のパワー&トルクを 出すつもりならエンジン本体にも相応に手を入れる必要があるわけで、「そこまでやるならトランスミッション も強化しなさいよ」程度のハナシではある。逆説的にいえば、これを解消しない限り過給器付き(のMT車)は 出せないということにもなる

■サスペンション
 サスペンションはフロント/マクファーソンストラット、リア/ダブルウイッシュボーンとインプレッサなどと同じ組み合わせ。ただし、細部はまったく異なって いる。
 フロントストラットは新形状のクロスメンバーおよびロアアームを採用。ロアアームは前後の向きを逆転し、 マウント位置がフロント側になるなど、大きな変更が加えられている。また、コイルスプリングにも注目。一般 的にフロントの場合、マウント下部がタイヤより上になるため、直径を大きく巻き数を少なくしてバネレートを 稼ぐパターン。だが、BRZでは直径を抑えマウント下部をタイヤ内側に配置。フロントフードの高さを抑えス ポーティなスタイルを実現しているのだ。
 リアはサブフレームを新設計。サスペンションジオメトリーを最適化するとともに、大容量デフの配置を可能 にしている。

google translate

Subaru (FHI), FR sport "BRZ" a small co-developed with Toyota Motor Corporation. Was also announced that the configuration is 3 and grade, "S" "R" "RA" to determine the release date on March 28.

The exterior and interior are introduced in the news and "see in the picture" already here, we want to introduce a mechanism for a little more deep.

■ Engine
"Said a low center of gravity" has it become a basic concept of BRZ. Its benefits along with the two points it is possible to reduce the role, that draw the full power of the tire. In other words, with or without hard suspension settings than necessary, or to install a high-grip tires, a translation can pursue handling performance.

However, it's easy only if written as "low center of gravity" just, quite difficult when it comes to the actual form. If the BRZ, FA20 engine of adoption "D-4S and the next generation, horizontally opposed" is that its core. As you know, the main stream of the company have just handed over to the third generation from FB20 and if Subaru EJ20 fan. Say it has been positioned has been newly developed and FA20-only (so far) there is a dare, and the car is BRZ & 86 with the more important role.

FA20 is a big point of, and specially designed intake manifold (hereinafter, intake manifold) and exhaust manifold (hereinafter, the exhaust manifold), but the adoption of thin oil pan it. This will clarify the features of the high center of gravity horizontally-opposed engine is lower than the engine originally series. And has achieved a very low center of gravity height and 460mm, the minimum ground clearance of 130mm. Also to the rear center position of the engine at the same time. Is also offset to the rear 240mm compared to the new Impreza, on the axle of the front wheel was almost. Weight distribution when you are around the front seat and ride 2 53:47 This, you can enjoy the fun of unique and FR.

■ Transmission
There are two types of transmission and a 6-speed AT 6-speed MT. MT is a single cone synchro over triple-cone, a 4-speed to 6, in the range shift feeling daily rate has been increased from 1 to 3. AT is electronically controlled adaptive control was adopted. Adaptive control and determine what the road conditions and vehicle state from the accelerator opening, that control is performed in accordance with the intent of the driver. 3 provides a mode of "SPORT" "SNOW" "(manual) M", has become a mechanism, such as running can enjoy according to the situation by changing the degree of control interventions, respectively.

It has become a royal road to select the MT given the run, there is only one problem. It should be turned to what was assumed 205Nm (20.9kgm) / 6400 ~ 6600rpm which is the current engine torque capacity of the transmission. Would have been taken from the factor of safety to some extent, it would not matter if a little about, such as response to the large torque 422Nm (43.0kgm) / 4400rpm Impreza WRX STI is it has not been assumed, for example. But that the drive train, otherwise the propeller shaft and drive shaft and differential, and there is enough space in the AT it.

However, there is no problem at all levels, even if it is about fine-tuned 6-speed MT. So there is a commensurate need to put hand to the engine if you plan to give more power and torque, there is a story about "Me and the brothers are also enhanced transmission if you do up there." Paradoxically, it will also with a supercharger (MT vehicles) does not publish unless you solve this problem

■ Suspension
The same combination, such as front suspension Impreza / McPherson strut, rear and / Double wishbone. However, the details are quite different.

Strut front cross member and lower arm employs a new shape. Reverses the orientation of the front and rear lower arm, and become the front side mount position, significant changes have been made. In addition, the attention also to the coil spring. If the front, because the bottom is above the tire mount, spring rate patterns earn you reduce the number of generally larger diameter wound. But, placed inside the tire diameter in bottom mount suppressing the BRZ. He has achieved a sporty style reduces the height of the front hood.

Newly designed rear sub-frame. As well as to optimize the suspension geometry, which enables deployment of large-capacity def.
Yobiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:16 PM   #7
csaba

Drives: scion tc
Very nice fotos!
What kind of camera did you use?
csaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:48 PM   #8
Chupacabra
'it's the yeti of Texas'

Drives: 2013 Whiteout 6MT FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuveKetchup View Post
Is this bad? I didn't think the length of front sway bar endlinks made the difference vs the length of the rear sway bar endlinks.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought with less pressure on the front sway bar it would create an oversteer whereas a smaller length endlink would place less energy loss and more force on the opposite wheel creating understeer.

And I'm not sure if this is only true for FWD cars which is only what I've driven competitively.

Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:01 AM   #9
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Hmmm I am eyeballing ~130mm rod length as I expected. Uh oh, I hope this doesn't mean it needs a new crank for higher rpm.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:40 AM   #10
old greg
Rocket Surgeon

Drives: PSM GGA OMG
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Is it just me, or do those connecting rods look forged?
old greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:02 AM   #11
gt86mods
Toyobaru Obsessed

Drives: 97' Civic Coupe
I don't like the blurb about the MT not being able to handle any more torque than stock. That worries me greatly. Other than that the car looks like it will be super easy to work on. Talk about simplicity. Tuner's dream!

Also the comment about the long endlinks: The engine is so low as compared to the suspension, they had to do this in order to adapt to such a low engine and trans. I've also never seen a sway bar mount so far back and under the trans. The whole car was engineered around the low COG principle so naturally there will be some weird adaptations.

As I study the images more, you can really tell that this platform was engineered on a budget to be cheap to produce. Everything is functional, modular & easy to work on. This is good in terms of tuning the chassis, but I worry about the engine and it's limitations. I can see where the hesitaion to put out a turbo version comes from. With more hardware comes more weight, more weight requires more control & on such a simple platform as-is it will be interesting to see how they deal with these issues. Hopefully they planned on this from the beginning, if not I see it being an issue.

I already see an issue in terms of people not being happy with the engine output. I already see a lot of people talking about raising redline to get more RPMs, but I don't think that can be done safely with this engine, and given what I've read about the trans it isn't up to the job of handling any more power than stock. This may be a car that will adapt well to minor breathing mods like intake and exhaust as well as suspension mods and that's it. I hope people don't get disappointed because they are expecting a 400hp RWD drift machine after slapping on some mods because you're buying the wrong car.

Canon Photographer - My Website - Flickr Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86'd View Post
That's it. I'm cancelling my pre pre-order.

Last edited by gt86mods; 03-02-2012 at 01:18 AM.
gt86mods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:15 AM   #12
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt86mods View Post
I don't like the blurb about the MT not being able to handle any more torque than stock. That worries me greatly. Other than that the car looks like it will be super easy to work on. Talk about simplicity. Tuner's dream!

Also the comment about the long endlinks: The engine is so low as compared to the suspension, they had to do this in order to adapt to such a low engine and trans. I've also never seen a sway bar mount so far back and under the trans. The whole car was engineered around the low COG principle so naturally there will be some weird adaptations.
It's a boxer; anything in the engine bay is going to be a bitch.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:18 AM   #13
Xdragonxb0i

Drives: ex500r
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
is the oil filter near the top of the engine? never seen that b4
Xdragonxb0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:20 AM   #14
gt86mods
Toyobaru Obsessed

Drives: 97' Civic Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
It's a boxer; anything in the engine bay is going to be a bitch.
Try working on a modern BMW, this thing looks like a toy to me. I've seen one up close and I honestly will have to disagree, everything looks very easily accessible.

Canon Photographer - My Website - Flickr Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86'd View Post
That's it. I'm cancelling my pre pre-order.
gt86mods is offline   Reply With Quote