follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #29
RaceR

Drives: 2010 Cooper S, 74 Beetle
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by that_one_guy View Post
That seems like a good group of hosts, is Top Gear USA officially the worst version of Top Gear in the world?
I don't think Top Gear USA is that bad. I find it entertaining. Ofcourse, some episodes are better than others..
You should try to watch Top Gear Australia. That was bad. And its a reason its not on the air anymore!
RaceR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RaceR For This Useful Post:
Guff (11-09-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #30
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceR View Post
I don't think Top Gear USA is that bad. I find it entertaining. Ofcourse, some episodes are better than others..
You should try to watch Top Gear Australia. That was bad. And its a reason its not on the air anymore!
I agree on TG-USA. It definitely has a different "feel" to it, but I still enjoy it. I view it more as pure "car based sit-com" compared to other versions of TG that try to throw some psuedo-reviews in on occasion.

Can't speak to the Aussie version, haven't seen it.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #31
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Anyone know how much the GT86 costs in Korea? Seems like his only real grudge was the inflated cost of the 86 in the Korean market.
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #32
RaceR

Drives: 2010 Cooper S, 74 Beetle
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I agree on TG-USA. It definitely has a different "feel" to it, but I still enjoy it. I view it more as pure "car based sit-com" compared to other versions of TG that try to throw some psuedo-reviews in on occasion.

Can't speak to the Aussie version, haven't seen it.
No need to see it either..

Yupp, Top-gear is more of a entertainment show for the masses. What I like about the Top-gear USA is all the trips and good funny times. Yeah its "dumbed down", but still lots of awesome car stuff.
For more factual reviews I use several Youtube channels. Lots of good stuff there.
Or watch fifth-gear, even tough I find it a bit of a compromise in terms of car reviews. They often try to combine entertaining and factual, and often end up with some stupid tests where results are quite random or, not that informative.

TV:
-TG USA - Entertainment (comedy)
-TG UK - Entertainment (comedy)
-FifthGear - Reviews with some hint of entertainment

Youtube:
-Drive, Chris harris - Exelent driver cars reviews. Always good driving and very informative. I also find his shows to be quite entertaining in different ways. Some cool motorsport stuff and various things are also on that show.
-Motortrend, Carlos Lago - Good reviews, often with some performance numbers
-Carbuyer: Good short reviews of most normal cars, goes through the practical stuff better than any other.
RaceR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RaceR For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-08-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #33
frosty86

Drives: '13 FR-S (Whiteout) Manual
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceR View Post
TG UK - Entertainment (comedy)
Some people take it as the word of god
frosty86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frosty86 For This Useful Post:
Guff (11-09-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #34
lazyluka

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Apart from the interior, and the price comments at the end, I fully agree with this review, this is why I am buying this car. Just have to wait another month for it to arrive

Top Gear (UK) won't be on till January. They were going to have an Xmas special, but apparently that's been shifted to January as well.
lazyluka is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lazyluka For This Useful Post:
Guff (11-09-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #35
TheSt|G

Drives: BRZ L 6MT, 128i 6MT, E39 M5, E36 M3
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr086 View Post
so you're saying the frs falls into the same catagory as the nissan sentra, toyota carolla, dodge neon, chevy cavalier, etc? just because it is an afordable sports car does not make it an econobox.

for a car thats being reviewed against elise's, 370Z's, and porsche cayman's all i'm saying is it seems wrong to see a gigantic SUV beating it around the track.
Yes I'm saying that the FRS is directly comparable in terms of econobox to the Corolla and the like. To think otherwise is just delusional.

Example 2013 Corolla interior:

And if you think it's wrong that a big SUV is beating your car around the track, I suppose the X5M will blow your mind since it is faster than everything you listed.
BMW E39 M5 6MT
BMW E36 M3 5MT
TheSt|G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #36
lazyluka

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Yes I'm saying that the FRS is directly comparable in terms of econobox to the Corolla and the like. To think otherwise is just delusional.

And if you think it's wrong that a big SUV is beating your car around the track, I suppose the X5M will blow your mind since it is faster than everything you listed.
I agree.

The original AE86 was also not designed to be a performance car. In fact if you actually look, the full designator of the AE86 or newer AE's has always been:
Corolla Levin
Sprinter Trueno

This car is not about performance, it was designed for fun, it just so happens that it has an excellent chassis for performance, but if you look at the stock 86, there is nothing special about it.

You should be happy with the stock lap time, that tells you that a car that wasn't designed for performance is still faster than a Golf GTI, so if you care for performance, its an excellent starting point for modifications to make a properly fast car.
The Following User Says Thank You to lazyluka For This Useful Post:
TheSt|G (11-08-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #37
TheSt|G

Drives: BRZ L 6MT, 128i 6MT, E39 M5, E36 M3
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyluka View Post
I agree.

The original AE86 was also not designed to be a performance car. In fact if you actually look, the full designator of the AE86 or newer AE's has always been:
Corolla Levin
Sprinter Trueno

This car is not about performance, it was designed for fun, it just so happens that it has an excellent chassis for performance, but if you look at the stock 86, there is nothing special about it.

You should be happy with the stock lap time, that tells you that a car that wasn't designed for performance is still faster than a Golf GTI, so if you care for performance, its an excellent starting point for modifications to make a properly fast car.
Bingo. I purchased this car because when I drove it it reminded me exactly of the E30 M3, and when I caned it on the backroads it was an absolute blast. This isn't a numbers car in any fashion, and that's what I love.
BMW E39 M5 6MT
BMW E36 M3 5MT
TheSt|G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:54 PM   #38
lazyluka

Did anyone else think that this video would be just awsome if they spoke Japanese instead of Korean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Anyone know how much the GT86 costs in Korea? Seems like his only real grudge was the inflated cost of the 86 in the Korean market.
I just went onto the Toyota Korea website and looked it up.

Automatic: 4640
Manual: 3850
http://www.toyota.co.kr/showroom/sho...sp?carNumber=6

Now if somone can figure out how to convert it to USD that would be great. I have a feeling that the characters after the number may be multipliers so that throws me off.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:15 AM   #39
NetMagi

Drives: 13 Firestorm FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
This is an econobox despite what you might think. This car is on the absolute bottom of the spectrum of price for sports cars, you think they are taking a huge loss on making it for your sake?

I'm going to guess this is your first venture into something mildly sporty. Your grounding as to what cars are capable of seems quite off.
I disagree, and before you also call out my grounding, I'd point out that in addition to the FR-S, I also own a 2011 Audi S4. The S4, while no R8 or "proper" RWD BMW M, is still an amazing car both in numbers and track times.

But you know what. . . I test drove an FR-S, and my S4 is for sale, with only 7k on the clock, because it's about 50% the fun and "sports car" the FR-S is. You can drive the S4 at the limit all day long and it screams back "big deal" at you. It doesn't engage you, it spoils you. I don't want to be spoiled. I want to be challenged. The S4 challenged me at first, but it wore off quickly. The car drove itself. . even with the nannies off (sport diff and center diff torque-vector)

The moment I sit in the FR-S, I immediately feel connected. I feel like the car was setup for "me" to drive it. Not fiddle with the stereo, not call someone cuz I'm bored of driving, just drive. The car somehow manages to make even just driving down my alley at 5mph "fun". I don't even care why. Maybe there's a mind control device, maybe the dealerships brainwash you when you buy it. . The car captures all the things that make driving great for the people that actually like driving.

I could buy more than 2 FR-S's for what the S4 cost me, but at the end of the day, even if money meant nothing, I'd still take the FR-S.

This car was engineered with "zero f__k's" given about what the jones's were doing. They questioned what actually makes driving fun, and gave us a car that checked as many boxes as possible while keeping it affordable.

Rock on Toyota.

-Rich H.

Past: 13 10-Series FR-S, 13 FR-S, 11 S4, 07 Corolla, 98 Tacoma 4WD, 03 Corolla, 89 Camry, 90 Celica GT-S, 87 Celica GT-S
NetMagi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NetMagi For This Useful Post:
Lasse (11-09-2012), Shagaliscious (11-11-2012), Tt3Sheppard (11-09-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 01:24 AM   #40
frosty86

Drives: '13 FR-S (Whiteout) Manual
Quote:
Did anyone else think that this video would be just awsome if they spoke Japanese instead of Korean?
This isn't anime world nor is it 1990s

Quote:
Now if somone can figure out how to convert it to USD that would be great. I have a feeling that the characters after the number may be multipliers so that throws me off.
Manual costs USD $35394 without any options (lowest baseline model)
frosty86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:25 AM   #41
TonyJZX

Drives: VN Commode
if its a power circuit i dont see the issue... of course a 500hp supercharged V8 SUV will beat many alleged 'sports cars'

hell, the Porsche Cayenne turbo is able to run down WRXs like they're nothing
TonyJZX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:49 AM   #42
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
"It's better to be cleverer than you look than the other way around."

I think in many many ways the FRS is "the other way around."

To me, my car is kind of like dating stupid girl who's insanely good looking. I gotta say, still very fun.
rice_classic is offline   Reply With Quote