follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-01-2016, 04:13 PM   #29
Hawk77FT

Drives: GTS 86
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloxEric View Post
Can't agree more with this information. I'm glad you guys got a hold of the proper people... I was going to say 10-15% improvement in strength optimistically.

One guy testing the unit local to me, after we test the gearset for a few thousand miles, wants to do REM ISF and Cryo for peace of mind. We will hopefully have some idea how much reduction in drag REM ISF adds as we are going to do back to back dyno .

If (when) it breaks, please take pictures!!!

We do have a spare gearset if you're interested in trying it out. The person who initially wanted to try it out backed out I think, can't get a hold of him.
How much to get a spare gearset is these days?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS Justin View Post
I am interested in that very interested, I will call you

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk
Hawk77FT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:07 PM   #30
FRS Justin

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
1st and 2nd

With TX2K a little over a month away I'm prepping the trailer with common parts ect just in case.
Question has anyone ever broken 1st or 2nd gear in a manual trans. I plan to be leaving the line under 15 psi of boost and am starting to wonder what to expect from this trans with slicks on the rear... Should I put 1 or 2 extra trans in the trailer for this weekend of fun.. Your thoughts please, and thank you

P.S. I never heard of a 1st or 2nd gear failure so if you have had one please let me know... thanks again
FRS Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FRS Justin For This Useful Post:
Dream20b (02-01-2016), mrk1 (02-01-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 09:14 PM   #31
Dream20b
Y u do dis?

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sub'd.

Clearly you have no clue what you are talking about. Everything you said was completely and utterly the ramblings of a babbling idiot regurgitating garbage from his mouth. Everyone here is now dumber from reading your post. Please die now.
Dream20b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:22 PM   #32
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Under what kind of conditions are you shearing gears?

Obviously, with enough torque, you can straight up shear the gears at any temperature and condition (assuming the tires hook up), but we've not yet determined the "middle ground" where the transmission will fail if it gets hot, but will be okay if it stays cool.

Is this at the track where the transmission is getting really hot, or on the street/dyno? Have you guys used a transmission cooler, or observed transmission temperatures when the failures occured?
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
FRS Justin (02-02-2016), Sleepless (02-01-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 03:09 AM   #33
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Hmm, interesting. Indeed, who knows if it's just mechanical design weakness or in combination of overheating. As for 4th gear being narrower/thinner, it seems logical to me in design, as originally it was not meant for boosted engine, and there should be less torque then in lower gears, hence engineers may had been just up to choice of over-engineering and making much wider/stronger (with possibly increasing mechanical power loss) or adding just enough.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
FRS Justin (02-02-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 10:49 AM   #34
crazyfrenchbiker
Hot Lava 6MT

Drives: Hot Lava FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
With TX2K a little over a month away I'm prepping the trailer with common parts ect just in case.
Question has anyone ever broken 1st or 2nd gear in a manual trans. I plan to be leaving the line under 15 psi of boost and am starting to wonder what to expect from this trans with slicks on the rear... Should I put 1 or 2 extra trans in the trailer for this weekend of fun.. Your thoughts please, and thank you

P.S. I never heard of a 1st or 2nd gear failure so if you have had one please let me know... thanks again
@mrk1 Can point you to a guy who has similar power and launches at 6-7K off the line.

I believe most of the stress from a launch like that will be on the clutch.
crazyfrenchbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crazyfrenchbiker For This Useful Post:
FRS Justin (02-02-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 01:05 PM   #35
justatroll

Drives: Full race 4cyl boxer
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Here's one posted by @Dipstik-sportech

One of the guys I race against in vintage swears by trans coolers. He said he had been through 5 trannys before he put a cooler on and needs to rebuild them far less frequently now.
Different car of course, but very similar trans internals.

I wish that stock tranny designers would incorporate some internals that would double as the fluid pump if you just open two ports.
justatroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:10 PM   #36
VerusEric

Drives: BRZ, STI, GT350R, Supra, 987.2
Thanked 2,529 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk77FT View Post
How much to get a spare gearset is these days?
Transmission? ~$400-$1000 from what I've seen. Our gearset is significantly more but with increased strength comes an increase in material, labor, and time.

Quote:
Only the one case in the initial post. Severe wheel hop in 2nd at 500rwhp, he admitted driver's fault. That kind of loading/unloading is hell on mechanical parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Hmm, interesting. Indeed, who knows if it's just mechanical design weakness or in combination of overheating. As for 4th gear being narrower/thinner, it seems logical to me in design, as originally it was not meant for boosted engine, and there should be less torque then in lower gears, hence engineers may had been just up to choice of over-engineering and making much wider/stronger (with possibly increasing mechanical power loss) or adding just enough.
3rd and 4th is generally thinner due to the overall design of the gearbox, which is typical from the handful of different transmissions I've torn apart. Between 3rd and 4th gear, the shift sleeve/clutch needs to fit. Due to the size of the gears and the close proximity of the other shaft, it leaves less room for gear material. Granted, this is just a guess, no one can hint at knowing what Toyobaru was thinking when designing the gearset.

It's unlikely a heat issue as some of these are killed on the street less than half an hour into a drive, others on the track. Most steel holds up well to heat and a little ductility would actually help in this case. The stock gears are extremely hard, but extremely brittle. This is great for a long life at stock power, but ultimately the demise for higher horsepower and abuse that comes with increased loads. You actually want a bit of give so that the gears don't just shear off and they can absorb the loads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justatroll View Post
Here's one posted by @Dipstik-sportech

One of the guys I race against in vintage swears by trans coolers. He said he had been through 5 trannys before he put a cooler on and needs to rebuild them far less frequently now.
Different car of course, but very similar trans internals.

I wish that stock tranny designers would incorporate some internals that would double as the fluid pump if you just open two ports.
Thank you sir! Looks like another unit that did not ruin 4th gear retaining clip but killed the gear itself.

I have spoken with Phil at Element Tuning and he has ran a cooler. He said it ultimately helped a bit but he still killed transmission after transmission. Personally, I see a trans cooler potentially helping shifting engagement, but as far as gear strength, I don't see it yet. Granted, I do not claim to know everything. Thank you very much for the submission!
VerusEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:23 PM   #37
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
If one redesigns for strength gears and for their installation gearbox needs to be cracked open anyway, imho it's worth to get two birds with one stone and during design process incorporate also different ratios, eg. like in close ratio gear sets ..
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:33 PM   #38
Speeeddemon99

Drives: 2014 Raven FR-S monogram
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hello all. Quick post. I have a 2014 FR-S monogram. I recently had my last free service of 60,000 miles. Currently have about 59,976 miles on her. I complained about a whine on my transmission when my clutch isn't engage, loose TRD short throw shifter, etc. So long story short...... Throw out bearing is shot. 1st,2nd,3rd,4th gears are bad! And another issue with gearing. And the TRD short throw screw was backed off about 2 turns. My car is completely bone stock! Other than TRD accessories ( air intake, sway bars, short throw, lowering springs, exhaust, and TRD 18" rims with Michelin pilot super sport ) they said my clutch was in good shape! But I went ahead and ordered TRD clutch since it's all broken down. Is this wear normal? And another side question...... Should I get aluminum drive shaft? Or keep it stock. Thanks in advance
Speeeddemon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Speeeddemon99 For This Useful Post:
FRS Justin (02-03-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 09:47 PM   #39
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeeddemon99 View Post
Hello all. Quick post. I have a 2014 FR-S monogram. I recently had my last free service of 60,000 miles. Currently have about 59,976 miles on her. I complained about a whine on my transmission when my clutch isn't engage, loose TRD short throw shifter, etc. So long story short...... Throw out bearing is shot. 1st,2nd,3rd,4th gears are bad! And another issue with gearing. And the TRD short throw screw was backed off about 2 turns. My car is completely bone stock! Other than TRD accessories ( air intake, sway bars, short throw, lowering springs, exhaust, and TRD 18" rims with Michelin pilot super sport ) they said my clutch was in good shape! But I went ahead and ordered TRD clutch since it's all broken down. Is this wear normal? And another side question...... Should I get aluminum drive shaft? Or keep it stock. Thanks in advance
Make a separate post.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
Drakiv (02-04-2016), killboy (02-03-2016), Spartarus (02-12-2016), Speeeddemon99 (02-03-2016), Ultramaroon (02-03-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 10:13 PM   #40
FRS Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Make a separate post.
Do you have pics of the bad gears? How did you drive this car mostly? Did you change trans fluid or run stock? Any info is appreciated
The Following User Says Thank You to FRS Justin For This Useful Post:
Speeeddemon99 (02-03-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 10:47 PM   #41
Speeeddemon99

Drives: 2014 Raven FR-S monogram
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Do you have pics of the bad gears? How did you drive this car mostly? Did you change trans fluid or run stock? Any info is appreciated
Actually yes I have a few pictures of the gears that the tech at Toyota was kind enough to text to me. I'll try to get them posted
Speeeddemon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speeeddemon99 For This Useful Post:
FRS Justin (02-03-2016), VerusEric (02-11-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 11:50 PM   #42
FRS Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeeddemon99 View Post
Actually yes I have a few pictures of the gears that the tech at Toyota was kind enough to text to me. I'll try to get them posted
Awesome thanks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FRS Justin For This Useful Post:
Speeeddemon99 (02-04-2016), VerusEric (02-11-2016)