follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-02-2014, 03:53 AM   #323
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drebin252 View Post
So you're saying Primary school extends into Year 8? O.o
Either that or you start school 2 years later than us.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_the_United_States"]Education in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Typically standard education is from ages 5-18 and is provided by the government. The way it's divided up is rather arbitrary and there are alternatives (dropping out and getting GED, alternative schools, some areas divide up the school differently) but it's rather irrelevant the details. Then you're an adult and do whatever you want.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Educational_Development"]General Educational Development - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Higher education has many variations, basically boils down to some sort of certification or other degree. This is typically a 2-4 year program but may extend further due to many other circumstances. After that there are further opportunities such as Masters and PHD and I'm sure many others.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associate_degree"]Associate degree - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachelor%27s_degree"]Bachelor's degree - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master's_degree
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Philosophy"]Doctor of Philosophy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Those are the primary routes, there are alternatives but generally most of the population is in public school from 5-18 then some go into work, community college for an Associates or a college/university for a Bachelors. The terms college and university may have once had some distinction between them in the past but my generation uses them pretty interchangeably.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Drebin252 (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 05:34 AM   #324
Drebin252

Drives: GTS 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post

Education in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Typically standard education is from ages 5-18 and is provided by the government. The way it's divided up is rather arbitrary and there are alternatives (dropping out and getting GED, alternative schools, some areas divide up the school differently) but it's rather irrelevant the details. Then you're an adult and do whatever you want.

General Educational Development - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Higher education has many variations, basically boils down to some sort of certification or other degree. This is typically a 2-4 year program but may extend further due to many other circumstances. After that there are further opportunities such as Masters and PHD and I'm sure many others.

Associate degree - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bachelor's degree - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master's_degree
Doctor of Philosophy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Those are the primary routes, there are alternatives but generally most of the population is in public school from 5-18 then some go into work, community college for an Associates or a college/university for a Bachelors. The terms college and university may have once had some distinction between them in the past but my generation uses them pretty interchangeably.
Whoaaaaa. I'm sorry for making you write so much haha. Now that you clarified, we pretty much have the same system, its just what you call college, is University. Right? And college, is NOT high school.
I feel like I've misunderstood a very a simple thing here. In any case, don't worry about explaining anymore haha.
Drebin252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:24 AM   #325
ProjectGT86

Drives: Fire Storm Red Slush box gt86/frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drebin252 View Post
So you're saying Primary school extends into Year 8? O.o
Either that or you start school 2 years later than us.
We start Primary school in kindergarten at 5 years old then primary ends in year 5, or 6 depending on the school district, then we have soemthing called jr high or middle school, which goes from years 6-8 or 7-8 then highschool starts at year 9, then ends in year 12, then we have college Which is the common term for university here, thats the confusing part i had to explain to her was that what she calls university is what we call college
ProjectGT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ProjectGT86 For This Useful Post:
Drebin252 (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 10:32 AM   #326
yohan04

Drives: Your sister
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo95eg6 View Post
Reaching a little low aren't we? Why not beg Daddy for a lamborghini?

Must be nice.
Today is April 2nd. Yesterday was.....??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectGT86 View Post
Your profile picture suits you
Don't be jealous because I'm like, the Justin Timberlake of ft86club.com

In all seriousness, I probably been longer in this game than most here.
yohan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yohan04 For This Useful Post:
chas3wba0 (04-02-2014), Missy (04-07-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 06:13 PM   #327
Drebin252

Drives: GTS 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectGT86 View Post
We start Primary school in kindergarten at 5 years old then primary ends in year 5, or 6 depending on the school district, then we have soemthing called jr high or middle school, which goes from years 6-8 or 7-8 then highschool starts at year 9, then ends in year 12, then we have college Which is the common term for university here, thats the confusing part i had to explain to her was that what she calls university is what we call college
Makes perfect sense now LOL It was just a misunderstood when you said high school is only 4 years, and confused that for missing the two years.
But yea, I understand now. Thanks for the explanation haha.
Drebin252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:38 PM   #328
car_roll

Drives: Nuisance BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
20 here with a 2014 BRZ.

Long story short, had an rsx, made the decision to save money for a track miata and keep the rsx as my daily. Right when I was gonna bite the bullet my car got stolen. Insurance totaled it and I got a good chunk of change for it. Decided to get something more unique like an mr2 spyder. Parents refused to let me get a used car because it would "break down" even though I was perfectly capable and willing to work on it myself. Insisted on a brand new car so I chose the brz and they agreed. And here I am now, full time student working on my BS in mechanical engineering, and working part time to pay for my books, gas, supplies, food, and other expenses. Hopefully I can get a job after I graduate so I can take over payments.
car_roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:29 PM   #329
TwoFourFive

Drives: 13 HOT LAVA
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by car_roll View Post
20 here with a 2014 BRZ.

Long story short, had an rsx, made the decision to save money for a track miata and keep the rsx as my daily. Right when I was gonna bite the bullet my car got stolen. Insurance totaled it and I got a good chunk of change for it. Decided to get something more unique like an mr2 spyder. Parents refused to let me get a used car because it would "break down" even though I was perfectly capable and willing to work on it myself. Insisted on a brand new car so I chose the brz and they agreed. And here I am now, full time student working on my BS in mechanical engineering, and working part time to pay for my books, gas, supplies, food, and other expenses. Hopefully I can get a job after I graduate so I can take over payments.

Nice man Goodluck with school! Great choice on the car!
TwoFourFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:54 PM   #330
Ian_monsoor

Drives: FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChandlerSwyng View Post
I'm 16 and I have had my BRZ since December. I pay for it myself and pay for all my gas. Just wondering who else has one around my age?

I also have a whiteout scion frs monogram series just picked up Friday .. Manual of course!! And yes I'm 16.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ian_monsoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:49 PM   #331
Joakim3

Drives: 04' Saab 9-5 Aero
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Oh if only we were all so lucky and had the car paid (or even semi paid for)

I work full time at Apple, so once I finished saving up I'll be grabbing a whiteout around my 22nd Birthday in late July... it will be worth every last dime
Joakim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Joakim3 For This Useful Post:
ChandlerSwyng (04-07-2014), Eg0 (04-07-2014), IntotheOcean (04-07-2014), Jrryjms07 (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 08:18 PM   #332
Kevinmp7

Drives: 2014 Raven Scion FR-S Monogram Seri
19 and bought my Monogram 2 weeks ago. All the finances are being taken care of by me, myself and I
ChandlerSwyng (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #333
ChandlerSwyng

Drives: 2013 Red Subaru Brz
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
It's cool to see there are some people my age with this car! and if you help pay for it from your job props to you! I understand if you live with your parents you technically aren't paying for it yourself, but it's still a lot better than nothing! For those of you in college and working to pay for this car, huge props to you.
ChandlerSwyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:43 AM   #334
Monyg85

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited WRB
Interesting thread! Theres a wide array of circumstances and a wide array of ages as well!

I personally (for the most part) do not care, or get angered/jealous, if someone has the car given to them by their parents or some other family member. Whatever works! When I was 16 I didn't have a car like this, I did all the normal 16 yr old things (ride buses; bicycles). But honestly, if someone was to give me a car like this, my parents per say, I wouldn't have said no.

Granted I expect the younger owners in those situations to fully appreciate, respect and take care of both their car and parents. Work/study hard, pay for it yourself eventually and you'll feel even better!

(I'm 25, 2014 BRZ 6.5k down and financed all by my tall self.)
Monyg85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:22 PM   #335
xITSxTHExPOPEx

Drives: 2013 FRS 6MT
Garage
22, picked it up last month with 7.5k down, handling all the payments, my dad's helping me out with the insurance until i have an actual credit score and can refinance for lower payments lol.

Gotta say, at 22 with a conviction for drag racing insurance is surprisingly cheap lol $200 a month
Old 05-04-2014, 01:37 PM   #336
Cliu91
Cliuless

Drives: Whiteout Scion FRS 2014
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
23, just graduated University. Hired by one of the big five banks here in Canada. Plan on doing a lot of work to my car.
Cliu91 is offline   Reply With Quote