follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-19-2012, 04:46 PM   #29
baldolera

Drives: None Yet
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New changes and refreshes happen every time. The OP has already ordered his car but for the ones that are still deciding, I would say get the car now and enjoy it. If there are changes that you don't like for the new models, you won't be stuck with these changes, and that's a win. However if there are changes that you do like, you can just buy the parts and upgrade your car, if you really want to. This way you get all the benefits of the new model, and you can still enjoy your car for years to come. Even if you don't do it, it's not a big deal. The aftermarket has a lot more to offer than OEM upgrades.
baldolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #30
fernan2

Drives: Wrx
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
I heard that in 2017, the toyobaru will get a dual sequential supercharger/turbocharger upgrade that will get 50 mpg. Also, holographic HIDs that you can play movies on your garage door with.
Ill wait for this car ^^^^^^
fernan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #31
Hanakuso

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2 View Post
You can play the waiting game forever. Next year's model will always have mechanical, features, and/or styling improvements. Or you can just jump in and enjoy it now. These proposed changes may improve a few numbers on paper but won't significantly affect the already through the roof "fun" quotient.
Exactly. I use this same attitude when I'm building computers. There is ALWAYS something better/faster/cheaper around the corner. If you keep waiting for the next thing you will be most likely end up dead without a car
Hanakuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:54 PM   #32
Kearny Mesa Scion

Drives: It's Slow but it Handles.
there's nothing wrong with changes after one year especially something as small as this and it happens with most cars especially sports cars.

me personally i don't find the so called dip that disconcerting. the only time i really noticed it is from a stop starting in 2nd. bring the revs up a little so it doesn't stall and once it catches you'll see the rpm drop and floor the throttle and it will take awhile for the car to get up to speed in 2nd starting at 0mph, but you will feel and hear the spike at 2500rpms and again at 4500rpms. other than that i don't notice it much under regular driving.

i would be more pissed if they revised the suspension or gave the engine an upgrade in power after one year. the one thing the car needs whether it be aftermarket or from manufacturing is an aggressive cam. being N/A and somewhat high revving that changeover point needs to pull a tad bit harder and it would satisfy the need for a f/i.
San Diego's #1 Volume Dealer Since 2003
www.kmscion.com
Kearny Mesa Scion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:03 PM   #33
rikdrt1
Hypnotic FRS Member

Drives: FR-S [Raven]
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
its worth the attention of driving this awsome car.. in 2012 already !

i love this thing and everytime i come back from a drive i know that Toyota/SCION has my back... there may be small changes but big ones should be covered by warranty and in the end its good brand.... enjoy

its not changing any faster than that obsolete cell phone you have in your pocket !

MotegiRacing - TRD Racing -OemAudio++- Michellin Pilot SuperSports- Greddy -FiveAxis - SparksScion - BlueBat Overlays -Pioneer -SWIFT Engineering Sports- Evasive Motorsports-
SoCAL
rikdrt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #34
|-Goku-|

Drives: 2011 Civic Si
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdriver View Post
I'd be thrilled if they just got rid of the hideous taillights! Haven't seen a post yet where anyone likes them....
I actually really like the tail lights. One of the things I really like about the car
|-Goku-| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #35
cgrey

Drives: 2013 Argento Silver FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I just drove my car. It was fun.

I don't care what they do next year.
cgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:58 PM   #36
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
I heard that in 2017, the toyobaru will get a dual sequential supercharger/turbocharger upgrade that will get 50 mpg. Also, holographic HIDs that you can play movies on your garage door with.
This'll be perfect for me haha whatever the 2017 model holds, if it's anything good that's when my lease will be up so I might just switch over. That, or I'll keep this year's model and customize it myself.
Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #37
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kearny Mesa Scion View Post
there's nothing wrong with changes after one year especially something as small as this and it happens with most cars especially sports cars.

me personally i don't find the so called dip that disconcerting. the only time i really noticed it is from a stop starting in 2nd. bring the revs up a little so it doesn't stall and once it catches you'll see the rpm drop and floor the throttle and it will take awhile for the car to get up to speed in 2nd starting at 0mph, but you will feel and hear the spike at 2500rpms and again at 4500rpms. other than that i don't notice it much under regular driving.
You shouldn't be starting from a stop in second gear anyway. Quit being lazy and just shift it into 1st.

But yeah, the Evo had pretty big changes every year or two before the X. Of course, it added a number to the name to distinguish them better. But if I was happy with the car to start with, then it shouldn't be worth getting too upset over. However, I will probably wait to see what changes they will make for 2014 because I might not be ready to buy until winter anyway. And if they make significant changes after that, then I may pick up a last year special edition model, assuming I'll still be alive and the world hasn't been destroyed by then.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:39 PM   #38
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,749 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Welcome to the modern car industry, this happens with just about every car on the road.
BlaineWasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #39
Lytheum

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I would only be upset if they made it cheaper!
Old 06-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #40
davesrave

Drives: 2014 Boxster S; 2015 Macan S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I actually think that later year models will be slightly crippled like the Celica was after 2000 with a lower rev limit. Or, you won't be able to completely disable traction control and stability control. And, I wouldn't be surprised if the AT won't have such an aggressive sport mode. Manufacturers sometimes put out the car the way they want to, and then have to reel them back in a bit to quiet the lawyers in later years. So, it can go both ways.
davesrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #41
maxdriver

Drives: Honda Ridgeline; G37 sedan
Sounds like a few folks like the ricey altezza lights....to each his own...overall an excellent car!
maxdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #42
eifer

Drives: Scion FR-S (Hot Lava)
Ok, so don't buy until 2014, but then be sure you don't buy till 2015 cuz they're gonna make more updates. In fact, don't buy any car ever. You have legs and feet, and they're not getting any younger, so go walk and enjoy them while the rest of us are getting ripped off by Toyobaru and enjoying our lives in an awesome vehicle.
eifer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eifer For This Useful Post:
russv (06-19-2012)