follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-18-2011, 08:33 PM   #197
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabastian View Post
Welcome to FT86club.com.
The 'FT' stands for 'forgot topic'.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #198
ryun84

Drives: 04 PSM WRX Wagon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
The 'FT' stands for 'forgot topic'.
LOL! QOTD for sure!
ryun84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:00 AM   #199
JohnnyR

Drives: 04 Evo 8
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Not to go "too far" back in the thread, but the WRX is going to be a weird position for Subaru (and Toyota to a lesser extent). If the FT-86's end up costing ~25k, the new WRX being slated for around 26-30k is going to eat away at Subaru's sales. Sure there maybe some in it for the better mpg, and less into the RWD aspect, but it's in the "performance" segment, and if you can get a faster car with full-seasons usage that the WRX would provide, many people would just shift to that I think.

Either way, there's some exciting motoring ahead of us in the dismal Obama plotted future for automotive enthusiasts. I'll be going into this perhaps one or two last hurrah's left for us with a smile, and make the most of it I can.
JohnnyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:16 AM   #200
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyR View Post
Not to go "too far" back in the thread, but the WRX is going to be a weird position for Subaru (and Toyota to a lesser extent). If the FT-86's end up costing ~25k, the new WRX being slated for around 26-30k is going to eat away at Subaru's sales. Sure there maybe some in it for the better mpg, and less into the RWD aspect, but it's in the "performance" segment, and if you can get a faster car with full-seasons usage that the WRX would provide, many people would just shift to that I think.

Either way, there's some exciting motoring ahead of us in the dismal Obama plotted future for automotive enthusiasts. I'll be going into this perhaps one or two last hurrah's left for us with a smile, and make the most of it I can.
I don't think so mate. The FT86 is supposed to midrange around $25k. I would bet that the new WRX replacement will midrange closer to $30k. Which sounds about right for a turbo and AWD. I would bet that it would be a sedan possibly hatchback body style if they go with the rally favored design which is the hatchback.

Full season usage? Another AWD fanboy eh?

And Gasoline cars might get regulated to heck but EVs and Biofuel based cars will become the norm and those can still be plenty of fun. It might mean that big engines become more expensive to maintain and less common but there will still be fun cars. Don't get depressed until you see what the future holds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:45 AM   #201
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madfast View Post
if diesel was as cheap or even cheaper than gas, AND it was as readily available as gas then it would be more popular. simple.

tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:28 PM   #202
JohnnyR

Drives: 04 Evo 8
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
I don't think so mate. The FT86 is supposed to midrange around $25k. I would bet that the new WRX replacement will midrange closer to $30k. Which sounds about right for a turbo and AWD. I would bet that it would be a sedan possibly hatchback body style if they go with the rally favored design which is the hatchback.

Full season usage? Another AWD fanboy eh?
Well we'll have to see final pricing. But if that article is right and the WRX is 26-29k it's going to eat away a lot of the sale from Subie's coupe, and probably those looking at the FT-86 as a "performance car". Regardless, the FT-86 is going to sell like crazy due to it's styling and entry level pricing alone, considering all the boring looking cars out there now in it's proposed price range. It's handling prowess will help push a bit more. Some may just want a RWD car though, which is understandable, and it may get significantly better MPGs than the WRX as well.

And yes, I adore AWD. My Evo sold me on it hardcore when I take it on the tracks, in every day backroad driving conditions (dirt, rocks, heavy rain), and if you noticed I'm from PA so we get snow. The most fun I ever had driving a car to date is when I took my Evo with it's WS-50s on it in bad snowstorms.

Regardless, I'm more excited to see the FT-86 now after reading that article. I have high hopes for it now. I know it won't be as fast as my Evo, but that's ok if it's a lot of fun to drive.
JohnnyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:07 PM   #203
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyR View Post
Well we'll have to see final pricing. But if that article is right and the WRX is 26-29k it's going to eat away a lot of the sale from Subie's coupe, and probably those looking at the FT-86 as a "performance car". Regardless, the FT-86 is going to sell like crazy due to it's styling and entry level pricing alone, considering all the boring looking cars out there now in it's proposed price range. It's handling prowess will help push a bit more. Some may just want a RWD car though, which is understandable, and it may get significantly better MPGs than the WRX as well.

And yes, I adore AWD. My Evo sold me on it hardcore when I take it on the tracks, in every day backroad driving conditions (dirt, rocks, heavy rain), and if you noticed I'm from PA so we get snow. The most fun I ever had driving a car to date is when I took my Evo with it's WS-50s on it in bad snowstorms.

Regardless, I'm more excited to see the FT-86 now after reading that article. I have high hopes for it now. I know it won't be as fast as my Evo, but that's ok if it's a lot of fun to drive.
I dunno about either, the WRX is a big seller compared to the 86 production. And ditto on the MPG, they're probably going to be close in size though.

And as you can see I am in Kentucky and we get snow too. Even better we get ice! yay.

I am excited too, but it's going to be at least a year before I can even touch the car. :C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:11 PM   #204
82mm 4g63
4G63 & Rotary

Drives: 92TalonAWD, 93RX7, 11F150EcoBoost
Send a message via AIM to 82mm 4g63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
Another AWD fanboy eh?
I love my AWD! I love my RWD too. As long as it isn't FWD it's OK in my book.
82mm 4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:35 PM   #205
Abflug

Drives: MR2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
........... ^^btw. nice RX-7!
Abflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:59 PM   #206
82mm 4g63
4G63 & Rotary

Drives: 92TalonAWD, 93RX7, 11F150EcoBoost
Send a message via AIM to 82mm 4g63
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomGT View Post
........... ^^btw. nice RX-7!
Thanks
82mm 4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:01 AM   #207
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
"..code named AE-86..."

It's not a code name! Its just its damned chassis code.

What? I can nit-pick!
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:32 AM   #208
On the Rise

Drives: Toyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by madfast View Post
again, that's work. im not arguing the worthiness of a pickup bed for moving/carrying shit. im arguing that there is NO place in the market for a scion pickup. scion is a youth oriented, trendy brand. since when was moving your friends couch trendy?

pickups were made to carry shit. if you daily drive a pickup with nothing in the back, waiting for your friend to move so you can save the day with your utility vehicle... im sorry. you do NOT represent the average person. the average person buys a chevy cruze to take their wife, kids, and dog to buy groceries and clothes at the mall....

stylish scion 2dr awd crossover > scion compact pickup...

oh and for the record i've never owned a truck. if you think that somehow invalidates the logic of my argument then so be it...
I guess you might be wrong.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1570
1660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:42 PM   #209
madfast

Drives: 2010 Evo X MR-T
Although there are definite weight savings to be had with the utilization of a unibody pickup, market trends show the layout is losing favor with the public as the Honda Ridgeline sales continue to plummet – making a Toyota/Sion unibody pickup a risky venture that may or may not find itself positioned perfectly depending where fuel costs go in the coming years.

nuff said...

next time read the damn article first...
madfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:03 PM   #210
madfast

Drives: 2010 Evo X MR-T
and i stand by my assertion that Scion would be better off making a stylish, cheap compact SUV... cheaper than a RAV4, smaller than a RAV4, and waaaaay more stylish

ooh look, mazda knows what's up...

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/02/m...-of-frankfurt/
madfast is offline   Reply With Quote