follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Marketplace > User/Vendor/Sponsor Reviews, Feedback, Comments

User Tag List

Old 04-10-2016, 11:56 AM   #15
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWill View Post
there is literally no company that manufactures parts of any sort that has not experienced a failure of some sort. it happens. its how the company deals with it when it happens that defines them
I don't know about you, but a warranty replacement of a thermostat won't help me sleep better when my engine is out of the car being rebuilt because it overheated.

Example:
I had a 20 dollar u-joint fail on me (was the upgraded model, stock replacement was 12 bucks so I splurged for the sake of reliability) and take out the transmission yoke, dent up the driveshaft tunnel, and lock up the rear wheels while I was going about 35mph. This was on a classic mustang. I got a new warranty replacement though no questions asked, so that made it all better
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJCarbine For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (04-11-2016), sato (07-18-2020)
Old 04-10-2016, 03:10 PM   #16
DrWill

Drives: whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCarbine View Post
I don't know about you, but a warranty replacement of a thermostat won't help me sleep better when my engine is out of the car being rebuilt because it overheated.

Example:
I had a 20 dollar u-joint fail on me (was the upgraded model, stock replacement was 12 bucks so I splurged for the sake of reliability) and take out the transmission yoke, dent up the driveshaft tunnel, and lock up the rear wheels while I was going about 35mph. This was on a classic mustang. I got a new warranty replacement though no questions asked, so that made it all better
Definitely not saying that makes it ok. All I'm saying is that it happens to every company even OEM. But at least they responded in a professional manner rather than seeking to shirk responsibility and blame it on install error the way a lot of companies would. I wouldn't take the replacement either. And for the record I would never run a mishimoto cooling product either. Everyone I know who has run their radiator has had a cap failure or leak. What I was praising was there professionalism in dealing with the situation and interest in doing right by the customer. A lot of companies would have responded with hostility and accusations rather than just trying to make the situation right.
DrWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:50 PM   #17
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Definitely not saying that makes it ok. All I'm saying is that it happens to every company even OEM. But at least they responded in a professional manner rather than seeking to shirk responsibility and blame it on install error the way a lot of companies would. I wouldn't take the replacement either. And for the record I would never run a mishimoto cooling product either. Everyone I know who has run their radiator has had a cap failure or leak. What I was praising was there professionalism in dealing with the situation and interest in doing right by the customer. A lot of companies would have responded with hostility and accusations rather than just trying to make the situation right.
The absolute least I would expect from any failure is a replacement part. If a company blames you for what is an obvious manufacturing/design issue and makes no effort to listen to your side of the story then you are dealing with a crap company. Mishimoto stands by their parts, and that's great. I guess I would just rather have the thermostat piston not go AWOL

Like I said, never had a problem with their warranty/support. They got it in the bag there
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJCarbine For This Useful Post:
Cole (04-10-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 05:23 PM   #18
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
If you really need to go for a thermostat now I guess the only good choice is cosworth now, also mishimoto seemed to have a very disingenuous response, with this many people with issues with there products there would've been some development push to prevent them in the future.....
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Trap63 (04-13-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 05:43 PM   #19
DrWill

Drives: whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
If you really need to go for a thermostat now I guess the only good choice is cosworth now, also mishimoto seemed to have a very disingenuous response, with this many people with issues with there products there would've been some development push to prevent them in the future.....
Well according to mishimoto that plan on looking into the manufacturing process yada yada and trying to prevent failures in the future. Time will tell. As for thermostat options there is an option available from Japan that I've seen a few times. I would have to do a lot of digging to find it again.
DrWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:08 PM   #20
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Well according to mishimoto that plan on looking into the manufacturing process yada yada and trying to prevent failures in the future. Time will tell. As for thermostat options there is an option available from Japan that I've seen a few times. I would have to do a lot of digging to find it again.

Full blown motorsports has one for $45 that's 65C, and cosworth has one that opens at 76C and that's around $100 because you know cosworth premium
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*

Last edited by FRSBRZGT86FAN; 04-11-2016 at 08:20 PM.
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:47 AM   #21
ST-A
Master Tuner

Drives: GT86 + Celica ST205 GT-4 WRC + MR2
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
i just reinstalled the stock one and drilled a 4mm hole in it like its very common on rally cars.
ST-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:57 PM   #22
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Got their oil cooler at home waiting to be installed... I may reconsider this after all the neg reviews on their products
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:49 PM   #23
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanchu1 View Post
Got their oil cooler at home waiting to be installed... I may reconsider this after all the neg reviews on their products
I would still install it, failures can happen with any part.

They still stand behind their products.
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:13 PM   #24
Hyperblue302

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 94 Integra GSR
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Well this is reassuring. I just installed one of these less than a week ago. Maybe I should of installed the forester 180 thermostat instead.
Hyperblue302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:25 PM   #25
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperblue302 View Post
Well this is reassuring. I just installed one of these less than a week ago. Maybe I should of installed the forester 180 thermostat instead.
keep in mind that you hear more about failures than about parts with no problems over the internet. filter the results in your head as you read through them. there might have been 1000 sold, but only 1 had a defect and is posted onto the internet while out of the other 999 there might be 9 people that posted good reviews. in the end, it's a 1 out of 10 defect rate due to the limited reviews out there but that is not really the case. (random numbers I made up). there might also be a product that has no negative reviews at all but you get the luck of the draw and get a dud lol. you can't say anything for sure about aftermarket parts.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:52 AM   #26
Trap63

Drives: Brz WRB - Europe LHD
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
I was one of the first to order the Mishimoto cooling package last year on Amazon for a ridiculously low price when there was a major pricing error, and they ended up honoring the price and they shipped it to me and several others before they fixed the price. The package included their big aluminum radiator, coolant hoses and their low temp (76 C) thermostat. I installed it all in January 2015 and have since tracked the car hard over at least 4 times and driven the car on the street all summer and winter long. I don't daily drive the car anymore but once or twice a week in cold weather on the highway the car would throw a CEL for coolant temp below threshold because the temps wouldn't get high enough when cruising in 6th gear at part throttle, but I could remedy it by leaving the car in 5th gear.

Now that spring has sprung I am getting the car ready for this track season. Yesterday I installed my 17x9 wheels with fresh track rubber on them and went on my routine drive down the street to fill up with E85 and decided to hit the highway on my way home for a run around a tight on-ramp to get a feel for the grip from the new tires. The car ran fine and temps were good up until this point. I pulled 2nd gear hard and 3rd gear at par throttle before getting back into 5th for my cruise home about 3 exits down the highway.

About 3 minutes later when I was about 1 mile from my exit I see the CEL trip and I look down to see my coolant temperature gauge pegged in the red.

I get off the highway at my exit and limp the car home another half mile and immediately shut it down and found it spewing coolant out of the reservoir and the fans in high speed mode. It didn't take much diagnosis to see that it was the thermostat that had failed and stuck closed allowing no coolant to circulate. There was no milkshake in my coolant and the oil was clear and at the right level. Nothing else leaking from anywhere as the car continued to idle fine when I tested it after it cooled down. I realized that I was very lucky to not get stranded or have a catastrophic engine failure.

Back on jackstands last night for emergency surgery, which happened today.

My findings...

OEM (88 C) thermostat on left, Mishimoto (76 C) on the right

The pin at the bottom of the Mishimoto thermostat worked its way out of the assembly and as a result the thermostat was stuck closed and overheated the engine very quickly. I found that pin sitting in the bottom of the thermostat cover piece.

I put the OEM thermostat back in, filled the system back up with coolant and bled it properly at both ends and thankfully after a test drive all is well. Crisis averted. My BRZ lives to see another day.

I am posting this thread as a warning to other owners who may currently have or are considering purchasing this thermostat. I highly recommend leaving your OEM thermostat or swapping it back on. I will not be using the @Mishimoto lifetime warranty on this part. I have heard from several owners with these and different cars that failures with both the Mishimoto thermostats and the radiators (pinhole leaks) are common. Caveat emptor.
Mishimoto....has only an exotic name, Thermostats are "MADE IN CHINA". see marks on it.
I removed it after 20 kms and changed with cosworth. Better made and quality of assembling. No trouble yet (30k kms).
The worth of Mishimoto it's about 2 cents....
Old 04-13-2016, 11:09 AM   #27
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutter View Post
I would still install it, failures can happen with any part.

They still stand behind their products.
Yippeee if they fuck up my engine and my 10k worth of mods they'll give me another oil cooler... That makes it all better, sorry but even if they do stand behind their product I'm not risking it.

They warranty their part, not the parts that may fail because of their part's failure. with the failure rates I've seen recently with their products (did some research yesterday) I would rather stay with no cooler than risk issues down the road... If you want it I'll sell it to you on the cheap
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fumanchu1 For This Useful Post:
86kahl (05-11-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 11:21 AM   #28
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanchu1 View Post
Yippeee if they fuck up my engine and my 10k worth of mods they'll give me another oil cooler... That makes it all better, sorry but even if they do stand behind their product I'm not risking it.

They warranty their part, not the parts that may fail because of their part's failure. with the failure rates I've seen recently with their products (did some research yesterday) I would rather stay with no cooler than risk issues down the road... If you want it I'll sell it to you on the cheap
I'm sure they've sold more than 4 thermostats/oil coolers than you found threads on. Anytime we start playing with aftermarket things, stuff can go wrong. Part of the game, unfortunately.
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
letbashmishimoto