follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 06-12-2018, 10:45 PM   #1
MaximS

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I fucked up BIG TIME

Ok well. Here it goes. Feel free to call me a fucking moron. An idiot, whatever you want. Because I am. I literally feel like the biggest fucking loser on the planet right now, and it's NO ONES fault but my own. I will repeat it again, I'm literally the dumbest motherfucker alive hands down, bar none.

If any of you could give me a hand with this, I'll appreciate it immensely, if not, feel free to shame me for how stupid I am, and being THE reason FRS/BRZ drivers get shit. It's because of people like me, because there are idiots in this world as big as me.

Anyways, I needed to go make a quick run to Shoppers, so I went. On the way out I got into my car as usual, turned off traction control and started leaving the parking lot. Now, there was a Challenger meeting, and I drove by somewhat quick (but honestly not close at all to the cars). I stopped at the stop sign, turned out and there was a sweeping corner after the stop sign. I stepped on it, and midway through this long sweeping corner shifted (yes I know I'm a fucking moron who doesn't know how to drive) well the car stepped out on me and I over corrected and on the way back around I hit a wooden sign (the construction ones held down by the sandbags if you know what I'm talking about). Well, I fucked up the fender, but no one was hurt luckily, except my ego. The challenger drivers were at this point yelling what a fucking idiot I was, which I agreed, and parked in a Tim Hortons across the street. There a few people walked up, helped me move the sign out of the road, and a lady was calling the police. Anyways, I spoke to them, and a car came to do an accident report. While I'm talking to this guy a few of the Challenger drivers ran over and said I was driving like an idiot and flung some rocks up at their cars leaving the parking lot (which I didn't, but nonetheless the police officer had to go take witness statements). He checked the Starbucks surveillance which confirmed I WASN'T fucking up their cars or posing any threat like they said, but he also checked the Shoppers security footage, which showed me hit the sign.

As it was bone dry, and the Challenger drivers were mad, the police officer really had no choice but to give me a ticket for Careless Driving. Which I deserve 100%, no doubt about it. I'm not going to argue for 1 second that this wasn't my fault. Only ME, being a complete idiot did this to myself.

Here's my problem. I'm 18, I'm in the military, and I can barely afford the car as it is. With this ticket, and the insurance claim, I will be so fucked I don't even know where to start. The thing is, the car is leased. So now it's going to have an accident on the title, I can't afford to lose the car because I keep getting moved around the country for work, and since it's leased I can't afford to get rid of it. I know I have to pay for this, and far more than the $490 ticket. But if my insurance triples I don't know what to do.

I'm really really sorry guys, I'm the young idiot who doesn't know how to drive and gives you guys a bad name, and raises insurance premiums. I know now, it shouldn't have taken something like this for me to learn my lesson but I'm an idiot. I'm really sorry.

But do any of you know what to do? Plead not guilty is #1 but I don't even know what to say, it WAS my fault, and there is evidence. But I can't afford to lose my license, and I can't afford for my insurance to triple. Any advice would be really helpful.

Ugh I'm so sorry guys, at least no one got hurt. I'm sorry again.
MaximS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:01 PM   #2
mabviper

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Seriously? Ticket, snow accident and now another accident? If your insurance isn't jacked up now, it will soon be. Sell the car and get the cheapest, old car you can insure.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
mabviper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mabviper For This Useful Post:
Delgado (06-16-2018), why? (06-18-2018), wparsons (06-14-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 11:05 PM   #3
MaximS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabviper View Post
Seriously? Ticket, snow accident and now another accident? If your insurance isn't jacked up now, it will soon be. Sell the car and get the cheapest, old car you can insure.

Well if I could sell the car I would, but it's leased. And honestly if I COULD sell the car I wouldn't even buy another car, I wouldn't even trust myself with a fucking bicycle at this point.

I'll add the first ticket got thrown out and the first accident wasn't reported. Otherwise you're right, even without those other two this one is going to make me pay for the next 6 years.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:11 PM   #4
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Look into this

http://leasebusters.com/en/learn-how...-car-lease.asp
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
wparsons (06-14-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 11:20 PM   #5
MaximS

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
Yeah I did, and I am again. I think I'm going to have to get someone to take over at a loss of a few hundred per month, and be happy with that. I don't deserve to be behind the wheel of a car.

Honestly if I manage to get someone to take over I'll be walking and taking a bus for the next 5 years.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:30 PM   #6
gcranston

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited DGM
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
First of all, glad no one was hurt.

Secondly, everyone makes mistakes. Just make sure you learn something from it. Get a good night's sleep. Chill out. Tomorrow, call X-Copper, or whatever, and find out what your options are. Look into a "First Attendances Meeting" at the courthouse to argue for a lesser charge. What you want to do it limit the points on your license.
gcranston is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gcranston For This Useful Post:
Delgado (06-16-2018), TorontoNat (06-13-2018), wparsons (06-14-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 11:35 PM   #7
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,517 Times in 18,919 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
@Tcoat declared me an honourary Canadian so I'll tell you to relax. I pulled some real boners when I was your age. You won't forget but hopefully you'll learn from them.

Get it fixed, sack up, and take some hooning lessons.

I spun mine inside of the first week I owned it but there was plenty of real estate. It was kinda sorta on purpose to get it out of the way.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:47 PM   #8
MaximS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
@Tcoat declared me an honourary Canadian so I'll tell you to relax. I pulled some real boners when I was your age. You won't forget but hopefully you'll learn from them.

Get it fixed, sack up, and take some hooning lessons.

I spun mine inside of the first week I owned it but there was plenty of real estate. It was kinda sorta on purpose to get it out of the way.
Thanks but, I actually can't relax.

Because I won't be able to afford the car after I put a claim in. I've narrowed down my options to:

1. Get someone to take over lease after the car is fixed (who would take over a lease for a damaged car anyways?)

2. Put it in storage and continue paying the lease, with storage fees, with stored car insurance.

You see? I've royally fucked myself. I'm not ready to be an adult.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:57 PM   #9
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,517 Times in 18,919 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximS View Post
You see? I've royally fucked myself. I'm not ready to be an adult.
Well, yeah. Adulthood is mostly about how we respond to fuck-ups. You're there. Take a deep breath. Explore ALL your options and pick the best course of action. It'll be painful but have faith. It will work out. Always does.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:02 AM   #10
mabviper

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
My brother was involved in an at-fault accident when he was older than you, in a less expensive car. It took him a long time to recover from that. He didn't drive for a few years.

Honestly, you need to smarten up and curb that juvenile behavior. Statistically, you're due for another incident in another month, unless you actively attempt to change your behavior.

Go join an autocross event of you want to let your car loose. If you're in Toronto, join PITL. If your close to Kingston, there's a group that does autocross at Shannonville. They'll be way cheaper than what you'll need to pay for an ancient.

mabviper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mabviper For This Useful Post:
aimforapex (06-22-2018), wparsons (06-14-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 12:15 AM   #11
allowe

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Get a lawyer to take care of your ticket. I had a careless driving ticket caused by making a left turn and someone on the opposite side was going straight And side swiped me. “I should’ve seen him coming”.I paid 500 bucks for the lawyer and the ticket was dismissed. Don’t beat yourself up for it, tons people make similar mistakes and lots will give u shit for what u did (people get off on putting others down). What happened has already happened. Don’t stress too much about it. Let the lawyer handle the ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
allowe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to allowe For This Useful Post:
MaximS (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 12:16 AM   #12
MaximS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabviper View Post
My brother was involved in an at-fault accident when he was older than you, in a less expensive car. It took him a long time to recover from that. He didn't drive for a few years.

Honestly, you need to smarten up and curb that juvenile behavior. Statistically, you're due for another incident in another month, unless you actively attempt to change your behavior.

Go join an autocross event of you want to let your car loose. If you're in Toronto, join PITL. If your close to Kingston, there's a group that does autocross at Shannonville. They'll be way cheaper than what you'll need to pay for an ancient.

Yeah, well like I said some lessons need to be learned the hard way. I won't be driving for a few years for sure, and that's not going to stop the car from taking a chunk out of my paycheck every month. But lesson learned I guess...

You're right though. And I wish I had the foresight to see how stupid I was being.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:18 AM   #13
MaximS

Quote:
Originally Posted by allowe View Post
Get a lawyer to take care of your ticket. I had a careless driving ticket caused by making a left turn and someone on the opposite side was going straight And side swiped me. “I should’ve seen him coming”.I paid 500 bucks for the lawyer and the ticket was dismissed. Don’t beat yourself up for it, tons people make similar mistakes and lots will give u shit for what u did (people get off on putting others down). What happened has already happened. Don’t stress too much about it. Let the lawyer handle the ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, I'll give that a shot before I put the car away.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:25 AM   #14
GibbsFRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
+1 on autocross/track to hone your skills (and smarten up). I find people who go to the track regularly are actually the ones obeying the laws and driving slower than most. Probably a combination of "spirited street driving" becoming bland & getting your speed fix at the same time.

Be patient and like others have said, explore all your options. You can't go back in time so do the best you can with the situation and learn something for the future.

I've dealt with a careless driving charge before. Going 125 in a 100 km/h zone, mild rain. Forecast for the nearby town said "icy" conditions, which the officer used to his advantage and charged me with careless driving, $490. For those that don't know, this goes on your criminal record, and can even make it hard to get a job in the future. I fought it, pleaded guilty, I literally did nothing but show up, and luckily it got reduced to 15 km/h over, $60, and no demerits. Your situation is a lot stickier, just sharing my experience with this charge.

This website helped me understand the court system a little better, worth a read: http://www.ticketcombat.com/
GibbsFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GibbsFRS For This Useful Post:
MaximS (06-13-2018), wparsons (06-14-2018)