follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

View Poll Results: Would you prefer a silver or black cover to the heat shield?
Silver 35 19.89%
Black 141 80.11%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 07-17-2012, 01:11 AM   #57
lucchesi423

Drives: 1991 MR2 turbo, 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Love Injen's quality. I am however a part of the concerned few that noticed the loss of gains in the lower rpm range. I'm hoping that with a good header and exhaust pairing that this will be remedied and actually prove to be better with gains in the long run. Top end looks great.

Question to @Symbiont. Is Injen planning on making a shroud for where the filter box ends and the oem "cai" bumper piping begins? To me it just seems like that should connect and allow for "better"/colder flow. Im no engineer, just wondering more than anything.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:19 AM   #58
Memphis

Drives: Scion FantasticRoad-Sex
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucchesi423 View Post
Love Injen's quality. I am however a part of the concerned few that noticed the loss of gains in the lower rpm range. I'm hoping that with a good header and exhaust pairing that this will be remedied and actually prove to be better with gains in the long run. Top end looks great.

Question to @Symbiont. Is Injen planning on making a shroud for where the filter box ends and the oem "cai" bumper piping begins? To me it just seems like that should connect and allow for "better"/colder flow. Im no engineer, just wondering more than anything.
So far all reports show that colder air makes this car lose power. Hot air ftw right now.
Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:57 AM   #59
lucchesi423

Drives: 1991 MR2 turbo, 2013 Scion FRS
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
So far all reports show that colder air makes this car lose power. Hot air ftw right now.
I get the right now part, but im thinking about down the road.

Going off the premise that hot air is better for the car in terms of gains right now, who is to say that down the road colder/denser air wont be better. After all, the car has a "cai" stock.

Injen has developed a pretty impressive looking SRI system that performs pretty admirably on the top end.

Going off my previous statement, if Injen were to create a shroud or connection or whatever you wanna call it that links the airbox they have designed to the stock OEM tubing that runs inside the bumper, they have essentially created a CAI.

Sooooo, this would give the buyer a few options. 1. They would be able to continue use of the SRI 2. They would have a simple bolt on piece that allows them to convert to a CAI

Apply that to the hot vs. cold air debate going on right now and you have a win/win situation. Hotter/shorter flow for the current situation, and a potential for colder/denser air in the future when tuning becomes more readily available.

Understandably creating a complete CAI system would probably provide better gains, but why not create a potentially cheaper alternative.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:15 AM   #60
Symbiont
Tall guys fit, too.

Drives: BRZ Premium 6MT (SWP)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucchesi423 View Post

I'm honestly not sure what the finished product will look like, as I get the car back on Wednesday (gave them a couple more days for exhaust development).

I can say that one of the really interesting things about this engine is that it actually seems to like hot air, per all the testing that has been done so far. All the CAIs are dumping even more power at the low end, from what I've seen (and heard from testing).

One of the things I do know is that they are extremely passionate about a well-rounded good-looking piece of equipment, so I expect that they will do what they can to make sure it looks good in the engine bay and functions as effectively as it possibly can.

It would be interesting, however... I think that it would just require a small change to the heat shield, which could be done at any time. Don't quote me on that, however, please!
Old 07-17-2012, 03:17 AM   #61
Symbiont
Tall guys fit, too.

Garage
One thing I am going to try to do is provide dyno data with the full setup going. Testing really isn't in my control, so I don't know if they are going to dyno the intake and exhaust separately, although I don't see why they wouldn't.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:58 AM   #62
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiont View Post
One thing I am going to try to do is provide dyno data with the full setup going. Testing really isn't in my control, so I don't know if they are going to dyno the intake and exhaust separately, although I don't see why they wouldn't.
I hope they do it separately and then together so we ca appreciate what they do by themselves and then the total gain.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #63
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie4299 View Post
I owned an AEM intake for my old Lancer. The quality was solid but this Injen intake looks amazing. Between that and the fact that I've not seen or heard a word about AEM developing one for this car makes me lean towards Injen. The price is pretty solid as well.
AEM is making an intake (and exhaust through DC sports as well)...they have actually been developing it since May....
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:22 PM   #64
M3MPHIS

Drives: 1997 BMW M3, 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidonsu View Post
well, I just ordered one for shits and giggles.
1. Install and video
2. ???
3. Profit
M3MPHIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #65
Jidonsu

Drives: Scion FR-S | 6MT | Ultramarine
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
15% off today only.

http://shop.autoanything.com/air-int...247.aspx?w4r=1
Old 07-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #66
Symbiont
Tall guys fit, too.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3MPHIS View Post
1. Install and video
2. ???
3. Profit
Car is being dropped off today or tomorrow. I'll see about vids and sound, if I can.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #67
trifenix

Drives: Toyota Tacoma
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I would imagine baseline stock. Then intake only, exhaust only and intake+exhaust?
trifenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #68
Jidonsu

Drives: Scion FR-S | 6MT | Ultramarine
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiont View Post
Car is being dropped off today or tomorrow. I'll see about vids and sound, if I can.
BTW, do you know if the bumper needs to come off for the install? From the looks of it, I would assume no, since it only replaces the stock airbox and tube to the throttle body, but you never know.

Along the same lines, is it still collecting air from the stock air feeder in the bumper?
Old 07-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #69
Symbiont
Tall guys fit, too.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidonsu View Post
BTW, do you know if the bumper needs to come off for the install? From the looks of it, I would assume no, since it only replaces the stock airbox and tube to the throttle body, but you never know.

Along the same lines, is it still collecting air from the stock air feeder in the bumper?
No, the bumper doesn't need to come off at all, and yes, it works fine with the stock air feeder.

From what I've seen, you can actually do a 'intake tube' delete without removing the bumper, if you choose to do so. It can be pulled straight into the engine bay for removal if you are careful.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:07 AM   #70
Symbiont
Tall guys fit, too.

Garage
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXKZAFQxRDA"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

The quality is horrible. I have a much longer raw clip that I'm working on trimming, but it was recorded with a GoPro inside of its little plastic case, so... don't expect too much.

I don't have any nice recording equipment, unfortunately. I'll do what I can once everything is finished.

I know it doesn't show heavy acceleration, but I wanted to get something up there as soon as I could.