follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 12-05-2017, 09:12 PM   #1
Brzxton

Drives: 2015 Subaru Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Jrsc replacement diverter valve issue

I just got and installed a rkx splitter diverter valve to replace the plastic one jackson racing uses on their kits. They are the exact same thing, except the rkx is made of aluminum and higher quality than the plastic one. I inspected them and they look exactly the same. When i put it on, however, all i would hear was turbo flutter. I tried softening the spring, and ran every combination you can with it, including the bov configuration. It wouldnt even blow off any boost pressure, it just did the same fluttering noise. Plz help!!

Video of not working/ making flutter sound-

Link to rkx splitter valve- https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N6...236_SY340_QL65
Brzxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:38 PM   #2
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
I'm not sure how it's higher quality than a OEM grade valve. You replaced your JR supplied bypass with a cheaper model.

You will destroy your Rotrex if you continue to use the RKX splitter. You need to set it to open with ANY level of vacuum.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Brzxton (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 09:48 PM   #3
Brzxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I'm not sure how it's higher quality than a OEM grade valve. You replaced your JR supplied bypass with a cheaper model.

You will destroy your Rotrex if you continue to use the RKX splitter. You need to set it to open with ANY level of vacuum.
Ok sorry for so many questions but what is the difference between the rkx valve on full recirculation vs the oem grade one included with the kit? And as you can tell i dont know much about this stuff so how would i set it open with any level of vacuum? Thanks
Old 12-05-2017, 10:20 PM   #4
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brzxton View Post
Ok sorry for so many questions but what is the difference between the rkx valve on full recirculation vs the oem grade one included with the kit? And as you can tell i dont know much about this stuff so how would i set it open with any level of vacuum? Thanks
That's a good question. I don't know. You'd have to either read the manual that came with your valve, or ask the vendor that sold the valve to you.

I was unable to get the release I wanted when I briefly tried the RKX, no matter how I adjusted.

Don't fix what's not broken.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Brzxton (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 10:38 PM   #5
Brzxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
That's a good question. I don't know. You'd have to either read the manual that came with your valve, or ask the vendor that sold the valve to you.

I was unable to get the release I wanted when I briefly tried the RKX, no matter how I adjusted.

Don't fix what's not broken.
Yup im gonna run the one the kit came with for now. Thanks for your help!
Old 12-06-2017, 01:07 PM   #6
kimcheefists

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Jrsc replacement diverter valve issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brzxton View Post
I just got and installed a rkx splitter diverter valve to replace the plastic one jackson racing uses on their kits. They are the exact same thing, except the rkx is made of aluminum and higher quality than the plastic one. I inspected them and they look exactly the same. When i put it on, however, all i would hear was turbo flutter. I tried softening the spring, and ran every combination you can with it, including the bov configuration. It wouldnt even blow off any boost pressure, it just did the same fluttering noise. Plz help!!

Video of not working/ making flutter sound-

Link to rkx splitter valve- https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N6...236_SY340_QL65

I’m not familiar with this BOV but it looks like you can open up the BOV (3 screws on the bottom) and see the configuration of the springs. I installed the GReddy Type S BOV and had the same flutter and when I opened it up, there were 2 springs (one inside of the other) so I removed the inner spring. I also adjusted the BOV to the softest setting and no problems

If there’s only one spring in the BOV, I’d maybe take a chance of opening up the OEM JRSC BOV and try to install it’s spring into the metal BOV you bought. As long as the inner housing height dimensions are similar, the stiffness shouldn’t change.

Also, I highly doubt you’re doing any damage by VTA (venting to atmosphere) Since the outlet of the BOV recirculates before the MAF, the ECU should have no problem adjusting the AFR. If the recirculated air were to blow into the intake system AFTER the MAF then you’d have potential stalling issues and run rich for a second or two whenever you let off the throttle/BOV opens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kimcheefists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:39 AM   #7
ozone42

Drives: SSM BRZ Limited
Several JSRC owners switched to the XS-Power aluminum bypass valve after the one jackson racing supplied failed (stops closing, cause vacuum leak, etc). It's got 3 different springs, go with the lightest.
ozone42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ozone42 For This Useful Post:
Sleepless (12-08-2017)