follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 03-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #1583
koyv90
Rocket Bunny FRS

Drives: 2013 Rocket Bunny FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
i will be willing to try out both cars and figure which ones i like.
koyv90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #1584
zoomzoomers

Drives: 2013 Subaru SWP BRZ Limited 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
I wonder if the people who actually modify their cars actually track them? I don't track at all so that's why I like a certain P2W ratio and could care less about being much faster on public roads. I think Hyundai position both 2013 GC 2.0T/3.8 as being fast enough for most people out of the box and I like that they did that. I remember test driving a 3500+lb 06 G35 coupe with 280hp/270tq and I loved how quick that thing felt and went. Now Hyundai's base model GC is 3400+ lbs with 274hp/270tq so I figure the base model should be more than acceptable and the 3.8 GDI will just be icing on the cake. But I would still take the 310 hp 3.8 non GDI engine and its exterior looks.
Well as a former owner of a '05 G35 6MT coupe I can say that thing handled like a dream. If anything that motor was a screamer. It just didn't sound or feel too pretty at the high end of the rev range. What it did was give you a sense of stability that was sorta weird and not found on many other sports cars. I frequent the nice and cury stretch of roads of Angeles Crest forest (for those of you who might not know it's a long stretch of some nice curvy roads that go on for miles). I could take certain decreasing radius turns without fearing for life as I did on other cars I've owned. As a comparison, I probably took the same turns faster on my E46 M3, but I needed to change my shorts afterwards. The G35 felt extremely planted in almost all conditions. The G35 having been something like 3500 lbs. with 305 hp (somewhere around that HP) and the GC now having 348 HP with 3400 lbs. should be a complete screamer.

So I honestly can't see why people are bashing the thing so bad. Although I'm planning on getting the BRZ (nothing could stop me at this point). Aside from the known issues with the previous model, which I've read they've addressed, the new model should be surprisingly good car. I'm planning on test driving one just because. It's not every day that a car with those numbers comes along at that price point and that will make the interior/exterior build and quality of a Mustang look like it was built second class.

On a side note, I was rummaging through my old car mags and found one that had a comparo of the 3.8 GC, Mustang 4.6 V8 and another car which eludes me right now. The reviewers called the GC the "only" sports car of the lot. Now I know the new Stang 5.0 is MUCH improved, but I think it speaks volumes about the car and it's capabilities. Like it's new facia or not you got to give the car some credit and some respect if you're smart. In any case it's a great time to be a car enthusiast people!
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
zoomzoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:00 AM   #1585
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Its a terrible time to be an enthusiast. CAFE requirements and all this going green BS has been subjecting the industry to tons of unneeded stress and expenses. Comparing the GC to a stang is a better than to a BRZ, and I think the rustang will take it in about every category except its cheap korean price. One thing ya cant knock them for is the dollar for dollar value.
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:06 AM   #1586
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulooz View Post
Its a terrible time to be an enthusiast. CAFE requirements and all this going green BS has been subjecting the industry to tons of unneeded stress and expenses. Comparing the GC to a stang is a better than to a BRZ, and I think the rustang will take it in about every category except its cheap korean price. One thing ya cant knock them for is the dollar for dollar value.
Performance wise sure the 5.0 GT is a great buy. But I absolutely dispise that interior. If they updated the interior I would strongly consider it. But I spend too much time inside my car to want something like that.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:15 AM   #1587
zoomzoomers

Drives: 2013 Subaru SWP BRZ Limited 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
Performance wise sure the 5.0 GT is a great buy. But I absolutely dispise that interior. If they updated the interior I would strongly consider it. But I spend too much time inside my car to want something like that.

What was really appalling was the body panel gaps and the plastics that didn't even seem to fit. I'm not expert, but I don't even see how they passed QC and out the door. I mean really, they knew it would on stage at a major auto show you'd think they'd make sure the body panels at least fit without uneven gaps, mismatching body panel lines. To me it's the principle of craftsmanship.
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
zoomzoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:20 AM   #1588
tranzformer

Local dealer expects the new GC in a few weeks. I will have to test drive both the 2.0T and the 3.8. Not sure which one I will like better.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:18 AM   #1589
Deslock

Drives: 2013 DZE/01 (sold for MX5 ND1)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
With cars like the STI, Mustang, GC, C6, GTR, 370z, MCS, MX5, and now FT86, we have most niches covered. It wasn't always so... IMO, it's a great time to be an enthusiast.

As far as your your political/idealogical rant goes, there's a forum for that.
Deslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:26 AM   #1590
spin9k

Drives: RX-8
^ +1 Halleluiah too - As this is just the beginning of the (next) great rise of the sports (sporty) car. The (green BS) effects of lightweight engineering and enhanced engine technology are and will continue to bear fruit. Out with the uselessly fat, no-engineered vehicles with gas slurpping engines thrown in to move them.
spin9k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #1591
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
That might be true but just about every reviewer said the GC has way more road feel than the stang. And feel can win people over.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #1592
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoomers View Post

What was really appalling was the body panel gaps and the plastics that didn't even seem to fit. I'm not expert, but I don't even see how they passed QC and out the door. I mean really, they knew it would on stage at a major auto show you'd think they'd make sure the body panels at least fit without uneven gaps, mismatching body panel lines. To me it's the principle of craftsmanship.
Take a moment to check out the 2013 stang, they've addressed many complaints about interior and exterior design. Not to mention it doesn't hurt they upped the bHP from 412 to 420, added functional hood vents, optional recaro's and HID's now come standard.

"Sweet Subaru, sweet Subaru, send your BRZ unto me, for the roads of the unworthy must be baptized in speed and glory." ~Zaku
SVTSHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #1593
tranzformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTSHC View Post
Take a moment to check out the 2013 stang, they've addressed many complaints about interior and exterior design. Not to mention it doesn't hurt they upped the bHP from 412 to 420, added functional hood vents, optional recaro's and HID's now come standard.
That is great news if they indeed did increase the quality and workmanship of the interior. But I am still not a fan of the retro/throwback interior design. Wish it was more "modern" looking. I will still have to check out the '13 Stang myself in person so that I can lay my own eyes on it.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #1594
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yes, they did do a good job especially for the price <$32K

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
That is great news if they indeed did increase the quality and workmanship of the interior. But I am still not a fan of the retro/throwback interior design. Wish it was more "modern" looking. I will still have to check out the '13 Stang myself in person so that I can lay my own eyes on it.
Well, my buddy has the '12 V6 custom from factory with the hot lava red/black leather, and the car looks and feels pretty good. Lots of soft plastics, etc. What did the '13 model improve interior wise?
Snoopyalien24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #1595
Dragonitti
Banned

Drives: Boosted Scion tC, 350z
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
I wonder if the people who actually modify their cars actually track them? I don't track at all so that's why I like a certain P2W ratio and could care less about being much faster on public roads. I think Hyundai position both 2013 GC 2.0T/3.8 as being fast enough for most people out of the box and I like that they did that. I remember test driving a 3500+lb 06 G35 coupe with 280hp/270tq and I loved how quick that thing felt and went. Now Hyundai's base model GC is 3400+ lbs with 274hp/270tq so I figure the base model should be more than acceptable and the 3.8 GDI will just be icing on the cake. But I would still take the 310 hp 3.8 non GDI engine and its exterior looks.

I do of course... Only place you can go to really tell where and when you should put your money.
Dragonitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #1596
cassidy0998

Drives: '99 Ranger / '94 APU Supra / Ninja!
Quote:

Agreed. I would be all over one but I can't stop thinking about the 50th anniversary edition which comes out 2014, and then the completely new model for 2015.

There are some exciting things happening for Ford.
cassidy0998 is offline   Reply With Quote