follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-15-2016, 07:53 AM   #1765
Blokatos

Drives: MX5 Miata Mk2.5 1.6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
Watch the trades section, I'm sure a lot of people would be happy to get rid of it.
I am one of them. This wing is fugly!

Back to the ancient art of driving!
Blokatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:10 AM   #1766
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FingerDiddle View Post
I enjoyed the force awakens, up until Dumbo took off his helmet and outright killed his character on a fundamental level.
He was hard core... then he was the bassist for My Chemical Romance... I expect more brutality in the next one too make him more evil.
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:18 AM   #1767
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Personally I like the external changes. I don't have a plan to change my car, but it is a good thing to see newer and better models and the community to grow
I am not a fan but fully appreciate that they are not tailoring a car to my specific likes. They are moving onto anther target group and that is the way to survive.
daiheadjai (06-15-2016), Hoahao (06-15-2016), nikitopo (06-15-2016), stevesnj (06-15-2016)
Old 06-15-2016, 09:19 AM   #1768
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I am not a fan but fully appreciate that they are not tailoring a car to my specific likes. They are moving onto anther target group and that is the way to survive.
Interesting, I think since the sales targeted demo group was misplaced, I think the second gen will be targeted more to the intended group since they will now understand the RWD experience since that group only knew FWD cars whereas my age group knew what to expect. The sales pitching for the second Gen of this car will be a massive onslaught to the under 30 demo.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevesnj For This Useful Post:
NLS8520 (07-04-2016), Tcoat (06-15-2016)
Old 06-15-2016, 09:44 AM   #1769
FutureRSowner

Drives: Haven't bought
So I herd they will be re releasing a version 2 of this with more power ???
Should I wait on that or just go ahead and buy the 17

Last edited by FutureRSowner; 06-15-2016 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Miss spell
FutureRSowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:14 AM   #1770
Senoko

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureRSowner View Post
I bought mine this week because I didn't want the new one with that ugly ass front bumper. The power increase is negligible.
Senoko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Senoko For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-15-2016)
Old 06-15-2016, 10:23 AM   #1771
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
Interesting, I think since the sales targeted demo group was misplaced, I think the second gen will be targeted more to the intended group since they will now understand the RWD experience since that group only knew FWD cars whereas my age group knew what to expect. The sales pitching for the second Gen of this car will be a massive onslaught to the under 30 demo.
OPINION ALERT

I think the opposite. They gave the boy racer crowd first crack at it and now are moving up the food chain to the older "professional" gang.

Look at the changes to the FRS so far. Every year after the 14s have seen a dampening of the original "tail happy" suspension, the interiors have been tweaked (minor but still tweaked) to a more "upscale" appearance and even the antenna has been changed to be more in line with much more expensive cars. I feel the two RS versions tell a story. The first had boy racer written all over it and the style was most certainly targeting a younger crowd. The second says nothing but "look, I am much more mature than my younger sister" and is most certainly after a different buyer.

Hell, the marketing for the RS2 was nothing but cats in diamond collars and high class "professional" women caressing the seats (check the ads on Youtube if you don't believe me). Gone were the original ads with explosions and winding roads (we will ignore that Uber commercial since the target for that one seemed to cause a pile of controversy) there is no way that they were targeting the same people with these wildly different marketing campaigns.

So now they are introducing the 17s with yet more "refinement", "luxury" features, "better" ride, "improved" handling and even more soundproofing. While I am not saying that younger folks will not enjoy these features they certainly do start to move the car more into the mainstream than the niche.

I focus on the FRS/86 on this because from everything I have read the original North American marketing plan was to put the FRS in the hands of the younger group and the BRZ was marketed (very poorly, in Canada at least) more towards the older crowd right from the start. What they found in reality was that the spilt was pretty even between the two cars and age groups. The rest of the world did not match this marketing plan since they offered much higher trim levels (for much higher prices) all along so they were already trying to cover all the bases.

It will be interesting to see where they take things when they do away with monospec for the 18s. If they go the route of offering trim levels that cover both crowds (as they already do everyplace else in the world) they just may be able to satisfy a huge range of demographics. My greatest fear is that they will evolve the car into yet another Genesis coupe and drop the lower more raw versions that was what appealed to me so much.
What ever way they go the plans are already in place and have been for a while.
DAEMANO (06-15-2016), krayzie (06-15-2016), Mim (06-15-2016), stevesnj (06-15-2016), Zaku (06-15-2016)
Old 06-15-2016, 10:27 AM   #1772
Tcoat

Quote:
If you wait for a version 2 with more power you may be grossly disappointed. They have been very clear since day one that this is not a power based car and contrary to all the blog/clickbait/forum speculation there has never been any official statement they are working on increased power.

Or...

The blog/clickbait/forum speculation could be true and there is indeed a 400HP turboed, AWD version sitting in development someplace. Highly doubt it though.
why? (06-16-2016), Zaku (06-15-2016)
Old 06-15-2016, 11:39 AM   #1773
FutureRSowner

Drives: Haven't bought
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
If you wait for a version 2 with more power you may be grossly disappointed. They have been very clear since day one that this is not a power based car and contrary to all the blog/clickbait/forum speculation there has never been any official statement they are working on increased power.

Or...

The blog/clickbait/forum speculation could be true and there is indeed a 400HP turboed, AWD version sitting in development someplace. Highly doubt it though.
yeah i was just look at more news about it and that had popped up and waste sure to wait and get or just go ahead and buy the 17 when it comes out.. why i started to look mor in it is because i saw the bra would have a special edition all yellow so i was trying to see if toyota was going to do that with the 86.
FutureRSowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:53 AM   #1774
Tcoat

Quote:
yeah i was just look at more news about it and that had popped up and waste sure to wait and get or just go ahead and buy the 17 when it comes out.. why i started to look mor in it is because i saw the bra would have a special edition all yellow so i was trying to see if toyota was going to do that with the 86.
With the transition from Scion to Toyota badges the possibility of a Release Series car for 17 is unknown. My speculation on the subject is that we will not see one since they really only issued them every 2 years anyway and the RS2 is a 16. If not in a hurry you could wait for the 18 models since there may be more trim levels and possibly a special edition version.

Or once again I could be talking out of my ass and they will have a press release about the 17 RS3 in an hour. Waiting for new versions vs buying what there is can be an exhausting game.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:04 PM   #1775
Sonicp9

Drives: 2016 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Ok. Here is my opinion now. I think the 2017 and future years up until second gen (if there is a second gen) will be a complete flop. They already sold the car to all the people who wanted it from the start and this refresh doesn't provide (in my opinion) enough changes to justify trade-ins.

But that is not the main reason why it will fail. I think it will fail because the marketing thus far SUCKS! there are only a handful of pics on the web of the 2017 and 95% of people I know think that the 2016 is the last year FRS. It is mid June. These cars are to go on sale in the fall. People should know it exists by now but nope. There is literally zero marketing and it is gonna backfire hard. Noone decides to buy a car in a day, atleast not the majority of people. We had years and years of hype before the 2013 launched. Seeing as how Scion is no more and Toyota is changing it to an 86, people need to know about it now because it is practically a new car.

Anyways, long story short, the refresh will fail due to shit marketing. They just need to accept the hit on the 16 and hype the 17 to make sales but I think it is too late.
Sonicp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sonicp9 For This Useful Post:
SC10N (06-17-2016)
Old 06-15-2016, 09:30 PM   #1776
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicp9 View Post
Ok. Here is my opinion now. I think the 2017 and future years up until second gen (if there is a second gen) will be a complete flop. They already sold the car to all the people who wanted it from the start and this refresh doesn't provide (in my opinion) enough changes to justify trade-ins.

But that is not the main reason why it will fail. I think it will fail because the marketing thus far SUCKS! there are only a handful of pics on the web of the 2017 and 95% of people I know think that the 2016 is the last year FRS. It is mid June. These cars are to go on sale in the fall. People should know it exists by now but nope. There is literally zero marketing and it is gonna backfire hard. Noone decides to buy a car in a day, atleast not the majority of people. We had years and years of hype before the 2013 launched. Seeing as how Scion is no more and Toyota is changing it to an 86, people need to know about it now because it is practically a new car.

Anyways, long story short, the refresh will fail due to shit marketing. They just need to accept the hit on the 16 and hype the 17 to make sales but I think it is too late.
My recollection of any marketing with this car was some nice looking lady trying to stuff a giant toy in her trunk. I don't even recall the make they were trying to market so I guess it didn't get my attention...I do remember how cool it looked and assumed it came with a price tag.

Mind you, I haven't followed cars in years...I gave up on them bringing out a car like this.

Years and years of hype? I must have missed it.

A friend asked me if I new about the new Scion in 2015...He IS a car guy and missed the first 3 years of it's existence.

Me: Huh

Him: It's a new REAR wheel drive small sports car and it's really nice.

Me: He has my attention! Where, I ask?

Him: Over at Toyota, they make Scion.

Me: Early lunch break and took it for a test drive (Manual) Had a blast!

Me: Found this forum and researched for at least a month (New to forums)

Me: Went to a different dealership with more inventory and introduced the wife. She loved it and we test drove a AT. Bought it on the spot.

End of story. I WISH I new about this car 3-5 years ago!

Since driving one, I have people ask me about the car all the time. It is NOT well know, never mind the BRZ.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:59 AM   #1777
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
My recollection of any marketing with this car was some nice looking lady trying to stuff a giant toy in her trunk. I don't even recall the make they were trying to market so I guess it didn't get my attention...I do remember how cool it looked and assumed it came with a price tag.

Mind you, I haven't followed cars in years...I gave up on them bringing out a car like this.

Years and years of hype? I must have missed it.

A friend asked me if I new about the new Scion in 2015...He IS a car guy and missed the first 3 years of it's existence.

Me: Huh

Him: It's a new REAR wheel drive small sports car and it's really nice.

Me: He has my attention! Where, I ask?

Him: Over at Toyota, they make Scion.

Me: Early lunch break and took it for a test drive (Manual) Had a blast!

Me: Found this forum and researched for at least a month (New to forums)

Me: Went to a different dealership with more inventory and introduced the wife. She loved it and we test drove a AT. Bought it on the spot.

End of story. I WISH I new about this car 3-5 years ago!

Since driving one, I have people ask me about the car all the time. It is NOT well know, never mind the BRZ.
the people that know know, the people that aren't interested have never heard of it. I get comments from people in sporty type cars of all ilks, from GTI's to Miata's etc.

I think they understand the limited appeal of a two door car in today's world. But yes, there is not enough advertising, there never is.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to why? For This Useful Post:
SC10N (06-17-2016), Tcoat (06-16-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 08:19 AM   #1778
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
I've seen very little advertising. Just a couple of commercials with explosions about a year ago. First time I saw it was in import tuner with their green rocket bunny. Didn't pay much attention but when I was looking for Zs and RX7s I saw the orange... I had to have it.

My gf got a Z that I drive her around in all the time(yes, she likes to be driven in get own car...) and then going back to drive the FRS is kinda disappointing. Z has so much more power... I need a turbo...
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (06-16-2016)

Tags
buttons everywhere, damn daniel, i hate it, i love it, much opinion, mustache ride, rosted zaku by soa, so change, very tryhard