follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-27-2012, 01:36 AM   #211
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT-86 View Post
Sorry for my ignorance as I have never bought any TRD kit (or any aftermarket parts) before but I am liking the TRD kit a lot.

My questions is whether it would be better to get the car now and add the kit later or wait til the kits are out and get them then?

Will the dealer take into consideration that since I will not be using the stock parts (i.e. wheels, seats and etc), the prices for the kits will be lower compared to the later add-ons?

Your input will be very much appreciated.
it will be more expensive in the long run paying them to put on the parts to keep warranty

so buy all at once

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #212
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Drives: Faster than the Stig!
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anybody know if i can fit 17 inch wheels with the upgraded brakes??
track_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #213
trackmagic

Drives: 1994 BMW 318i
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I didn't see this question asked...Is the diffuser a functional aerodynamic part or just bumper art?
trackmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:31 AM   #214
StuttterButtter
Yes i have a stutter

Drives: 94 Acura Integra
Only thing i don't like on the TRD kit is the front something i just done like about it. Think im leaning more towards the 5axis kit but i like the back of the TRD better. Most likely ill go with what ever 1 is cheaper
StuttterButtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #215
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,389 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackmagic View Post
I didn't see this question asked...Is the diffuser a functional aerodynamic part or just bumper art?
A diffuser is designed to smooth out airflow under the car giving it less drag. As with all performance parts, some are more effective than others.
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #216
trackmagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian View Post
A diffuser is designed to smooth out airflow under the car giving it less drag. As with all performance parts, some are more effective than others.
I am aware of what a diffuser is designed to do. However, most street cars with a "diffuser" is just a few ribs added onto the bumper to look cool. If a diffuser has an angle that a laminar airflow cannot stick to (~>20°) then the "diffuser" does nothing other than make kids think they are driving a race car.

A real diffuser is a large panel that would extend from the bumper about up to the rear axle. This is becuase of the gentle slope required to make it function and because the larger surface area will generate more downforce (Force=Pressure * Area)

Also one more thing: The airflow entering the diffuser should not be turbulant either. The turbulent air will not give the same "suction" effect because turbulent air fills the void left by the diffuser easier and therefore does not generate as much downforce. This is why most race cars will have a smooth undertray before the air even gets to the diffuser. The airflow should be laminar when it enters the diffuser.

This is why I asked if it functional or bumper art. I imagine it is the latter, but it would be cool if it was functional since some people want to use the FRS as a track car.

example:
diffuser
Old 04-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #217
trackmagic

Looking at the pictures again I'm pretty sure it is not real. The big picture that you can see it is kind of blurry though so I could not tell.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #218
Grip Ronin
The Mechanic

Drives: Civic Turbo,FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
are you guys arguing about 300 crank or wheel hp?
has anyone found out what door stabilizers do?
Grip Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #219
DeepHunta

Drives: '05 Outback Wgn, '05 Lotus Elise
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
"push to start" option! I'm sold! So long as scion gets this, I'm switching from a BRZ to FR-S!
DeepHunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #220
Ikaros
Solar wind surfer

Drives: 2013 FRS
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepHunta View Post
"push to start" option! I'm sold! So long as scion gets this, I'm switching from a BRZ to FR-S!
Where are you seeing push to start? All I'm seeing is push start switch from that list.
Ikaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:56 PM   #221
HotLavaMann
First 86 member

Drives: FRS, Tacoma, Honda CB1100
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip Ronin View Post
are you guys arguing about 300 crank or wheel hp?
has anyone found out what door stabilizers do?
They eliminate flex between the door and the frame. This makes the door rigid relative to the rest of the car and helps to reduce overall flex through the whole car. That is the theory. Supposedly they work quite well.

I've seen videos of cars (Genesis Coupe FWIW) on the track where the camera was behind the car door looking forward and the gap between the door and the body varies as the car slaloms through turns.

Not clear if Scion is going to bring this particular piece of equipment to the US. It may have something to do with crash tests or something, don't know.
HotLavaMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:44 AM   #222
DeepHunta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikaros View Post
Where are you seeing push to start? All I'm seeing is push start switch from that list.
Isn't that the same thing? I mean the current special edition Scion TC has the same option of "push start switch" and it is exactly the "Push to Start" button idea.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:59 AM   #223
Ikaros
Solar wind surfer

Drives: 2013 FRS
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepHunta View Post
Isn't that the same thing? I mean the current special edition Scion TC has the same option of "push start switch" and it is exactly the "Push to Start" button idea.
That's like saying if you go and buy a light switch and install it on the wall, a light bulb will magically appear out of nowhere. This is just a switch, it doesn't include any wiring, or the actual push button start system

The tC RS 7's website says it has "Push Button Start" not just "Push start switch" If you had done some you would have seen that the first thing that pops up on a google search when you search "TRD Push start switch" you would see that it's just a switch, and you can buy one to replaces the original push start switch.
Ikaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:19 PM   #224
DeepHunta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikaros View Post
That's like saying if you go and buy a light switch and install it on the wall, a light bulb will magically appear out of nowhere. This is just a switch, it doesn't include any wiring, or the actual push button start system

The tC RS 7's website says it has "Push Button Start" not just "Push start switch" If you had done some you would have seen that the first thing that pops up on a google search when you search "TRD Push start switch" you would see that it's just a switch, and you can buy one to replaces the original push start switch.
Well darn! I guess I just got skooled! Looks like I'm sticking with my BRZ Limited pre-order.

Tags
trd 86, trd fr-s, trd frs, trd scion fr-s