follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 12-21-2015, 12:23 PM   #29
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oso_25 View Post
I felt that there was also to much comedy in this movie I don't remember Star wars being a comedy?
I agree with this but it does lighten up the mood and I thought the bb8 droid was funny. If they didnt have the comedy I probably wouldve liked the movie less.
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:03 PM   #30
WingZer0

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,416 Times in 866 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oso_25 View Post
Agree I felt the same way watching episode 4 again with just new characters. Plus so random how all of a sudden the Millennium Falcon is in the middle of Junk yard and they just jump in it.

Just from reading a lot of things and how the movie should have been maybe JJ should of went with that direction on this movie. I mean I was scared when he did Star Trek and thought that he was going to mess that up but that movie ended up turning out really good. I felt that there was also to much comedy in this movie I don't remember Star wars being a comedy?

The comedy thing must be from Disney, just look at the marvel movies. Way too much comedy in those films.
WingZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:11 PM   #31
jawn

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,757 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZer0 View Post
The comedy thing must be from Disney, just look at the marvel movies. Way too much comedy in those films.
There were goofy moments in the OT. Han talking to the guy over coms in the Death Star, Let the Wookie win, C-3PO thinking that everyone got crushed in the trash compactor, Nerf-Herder, Laugh it up Fuzzball, I thought they smelled bad on the outside, Ewoks, Ewoks, Ewoks, C-3PO as lord and savior, etc...

Let's not forget, Lucasfilm has also tried to make Star Wars funnier, with a funnier character than we've ever had before. He's the key to all of this.

It's not like TFA was written by Joss Whedon, who in lieu of character development, loves one-liners. We never had a zing-off in TFA. It was used to cut the edge after some intense scenes: the opening bloodbath, after the Falcon escape from Jakku, attempting to mind-grape Rey, etc... Comic relief is used to balance the tone of movies. It's screenwriting 101.

We remember the iconic moments from the OT, and maybe some of the humor has been lost because we've seen them so many times, but there has always been funnier scenes in Star Wars. Grimdark doesn't make a movie good.
jawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jawn For This Useful Post:
Hot-Lava_Dave (12-21-2015), strat61caster (12-22-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 01:20 PM   #32
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
Do I dare bring up Jar Jar Binks?
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MisterSheep For This Useful Post:
oso_25 (12-22-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 01:22 PM   #33
jawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSheep View Post
Do I dare bring up Jar Jar Binks?
He's the key to all of this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jawn For This Useful Post:
MisterSheep (12-21-2015), Muaddib (12-23-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 01:50 PM   #34
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Prediction:

Episode VIII: the full battle of the New Republic vs the First Order.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
M-17 (12-22-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 02:00 PM   #35
Lord09

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZer0 View Post
I agree, a few lines here and there are okay, but overall I thought it was just too much, especially some of Finn's lines.

I enjoyed BB-8 a lot, wouldn't have changed a thing. That's really all the humor I needed.

Last edited by Lord09; 12-21-2015 at 02:11 PM.
Lord09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 05:50 PM   #36
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@drewbot I bet Fin comes back as a cyborg
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to radroach For This Useful Post:
drewbot (12-21-2015), MisterSheep (12-21-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 05:51 PM   #37
jawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
@drewbot I bet Fin comes back as a cyborg
A cyborg, or Cyborg?
Old 12-21-2015, 06:25 PM   #38
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Keeping in mind that Star Wars is more of an adventure movie set in space for teens/tweens than a sci-fi movie scripted primarily for adults (see Interstellar) is important. Due to this there are a lot of characters explaining plot points, reaction shots after something happens, low-brow humor, and lasers (ok blasters).

With that perspective I thought Abrams/Disney did an admirable job. At times the movie did feel a bit rushed out the door (e.g. I would have liked to see a stronger score as in EP I, III, and IV) and the dialogue still could have used some fine tuning. Also I would have liked to have seen more Chewbacca the Warrior, than Chewie the Stand-up Comedian. Ultimately though the moving was entertaining, and was well acted. Daisy Ridley as Rey was particularly impressive acting with her face when not saying a word, and was physically convincing despite her lithe build.

Theories outta my arse and after reading some Wookiepedia:

1. Rey is both Skywalker and Kenobi and will be more of a Jedi than any other before her. However Rey is not Luke's daughter or Obi-Wan's granddaughter with an unknown woman. She is a third secret child of Padme' Amidala (who did not actually die giving birth to Luke and Leia). Her father is Obi-wan Kenobi. Sound crazy? Remember, in Ep. 4 Leia remarks about having faint memories of her mother "being very beautiful, kind, but sad". How can Leia know her mother if she died in childbirth?

So Padme' Amidala faked her death and hid from nearly everyone. The Emperor, Vader, and all of their enemies. She hid her twins with other families (just in case she was located). During this decades long self-exile, she fell in love with Obi-Wan (she was shown having feelings and chemistry for him in Ep 1 while Anakin was still a boy). Eventually this affair produced Rey. Perhaps Padme actually died giving birth to Rey. This would have happened near the end of the years Obi-wan had been silently watching over Luke on Tattooinne. Obi-Wan may also have trained Rey at a very young age (5-6 yrs) for a short while until he had to leave to protect Luke beginning Ep IV. Before his death, Yoda said to Luke "There is another". Most took that to mean Lea, but perhaps Yoda meant a very young Rey.

So Rey is Luke and Leia's younger half-sister and Obi-Wan's full daughter with Padme Amidala. That is why she was cast looking so much like Natalie Portman, but has an English accent as if she was influenced maybe even trained by Obi-wan as a young girl. This is why she is calm and focused under duress. She is force sensitive in the way the child of Amidala & Kenobi might be. She is a good pilot and great with machines (even able to speak with BB-8). She also remembered her training to fend off Kylo's attempt to access her mind, and then in turn reads his mind. Obi-wan is shown to be expert with the Jedi "Mind-trick". Her saber fighting style most closely mimics the defensive Form III (Soresu) the same style favored by Obi-wan. She focuses and remembers her early training to defeat Kylo in his wounded state. That is also why Leia embraces Rey and not Chewbacca after Han's death. Leia knows who Rey is, she can feel it.

2. Capt. Phasma will have a much larger role in the second movie. Gwendolin Christie has already been confirmed in the next movie. IMO She will be the first fully cyborganic Storm Trooper. When she walks it is mechanical and robotic. Her voice is also that way. She looks like a cylon. She is taller/larger than most every other Trooper and she survived the final assault. She will be able to match a Jedi with her mechanical strength and inability to be fooled by Jedi Mind tricks. She has been both complimentary and suspicious of Finn. The First Order may shun or turn on her because she shutdown the shields on the Starkiller base for them. Capt. Phasma will be a secondary, but important nemesis in Ep VIII. "Nemesis of who?" is the question.

3. Finn was one of the finest Storm Trooper cadets in his class. However Finn is not the descendant of Mace Windu or Lando Calrissian. Instead, it will be known that Finn is a descendant of Boba Fett (who btw did not die after falling into the Sarlacc pit during Luke's escape from Jabba). Fett was wounded badly in the leg and later healed (this is canon). IMO Finn has the bloodline of Jango and Boba. That plus his Storm Trooper training is what enabled him to semi-effectively wield a lightsaber, and also take on Kylo-Ren for an extended period of time.

All B.S. I know, but if you got this far, then you're at the very least interested. Thoughts?
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:56 PM   #39
G-awesome

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Scion FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Keeping in mind that Star Wars is more of an adventure movie set in space for teens/tweens than a sci-fi movie scripted primarily for adults (see Interstellar) is important. Due to this there are a lot of characters explaining plot points, reaction shots after something happens, low-brow humor, and lasers (ok blasters).

With that perspective I thought Abrams/Disney did an admirable job. At times the movie did feel a bit rushed out the door (e.g. I would have liked to see a stronger score as in EP I, III, and IV) and the dialogue still could have used some fine tuning. Also I would have liked to have seen more Chewbacca the Warrior, than Chewie the Stand-up Comedian. Ultimately though the moving was entertaining, and was well acted. Daisy Ridley as Rey was particularly impressive acting with her face when not saying a word, and was physically convincing despite her lithe build.

1. Rey is both Skywalker and Kenobi and will be more of a Jedi than any other before her. However Rey is not Luke's daughter or Obi-Wan's granddaughter with an unknown woman. She is a third secret child of Padme' Amidala (who did not actually die giving birth to Luke and Leia). Her father is Obi-wan Kenobi. Sound crazy? Remember, in Ep. 4 Leia remarks about having faint memories of her mother "being very beautiful, kind, but sad". How can Leia know her mother if she died in childbirth?

So Padme' Amidala faked her death and hid from nearly everyone. The Emperor, Vader, and all of their enemies. She hid her twins with other families (just in case she was located). During this decades long self-exile, she fell in love with Obi-Wan (she was shown having feelings and chemistry for him in Ep 1 while Anakin was still a boy). Eventually this affair produced Rey. Perhaps Padme actually died giving birth to Rey. This would have happened near the end of the years Obi-wan had been silently watching over Luke on Tattooinne. Obi-Wan may also have trained Rey at a very young age (5-6 yrs) for a short while until he had to leave to protect Luke beginning Ep IV. Before his death, Yoda said to Luke "There is another". Most took that to mean Lea, but perhaps Yoda meant a very young Rey.

So Rey is Luke and Leia's younger half-sister and Obi-Wan's full daughter with Padme Amidala. That is why she was cast looking so much like Natalie Portman, but has an English accent as if she was influenced maybe even trained by Obi-wan as a young girl. This is why she is calm and focused under duress. She is force sensitive in the way the child of Amidala & Kenobi might be. She is a good pilot and great with machines (even able to speak with BB-8). She also remembered her training to fend off Kylo's attempt to access her mind, and then in turn reads his mind. Obi-wan is shown to be expert with the Jedi "Mind-trick". Her saber fighting style most closely mimics the defensive Form III (Soresu) the same style favored by Obi-wan. She focuses and remembers her early training to defeat Kylo in his wounded state. That is also why Leia embraces Rey and not Chewbacca after Han's death. Leia knows who Rey is, she can feel it.

2. Capt. Phasma will have a much larger role in the second movie. Gwendolin Christie has already been confirmed in the next movie. IMO She will be the first fully cyborganic Storm Trooper. When she walks it is mechanical and robotic. Her voice is also that way. She looks like a cylon. She is taller/larger than most every other Trooper and she survived the final assault. She will be able to match a Jedi with her mechanical strength and inability to be fooled by Jedi Mind tricks. She has been both complimentary and suspicious of Finn. The First Order may shun or turn on her because she shutdown the shields on the Starkiller base for them. Capt. Phasma will be a secondary, but important nemesis in Ep VIII. "Nemesis of who?" is the question.

3. Finn was one of the finest Storm Trooper cadets in his class. However Finn is not the descendant of Mace Windu or Lando Calrissian. Instead, it will be known that Finn is a descendant of Boba Fett (who btw did not die after falling into the Sarlacc pit during Luke's escape from Jabba). Fett was wounded badly in the leg and later healed (this is canon). IMO Finn has the bloodline of Jango and Boba. That plus his Storm Trooper training is what enabled him to semi-effectively wield a lightsaber, and also take on Kylo-Ren for an extended period of time.

All B.S. I know, but if you got this far, then you're at the very least interested. Thoughts?
Those are some crazy wacky theories...I'm sure theory 1 about Rey won't pitch well with Disney. Theory 3 sounds like something out of Darth Maul's revival in the clone wars tv show (which I quite enjoyed watching that storyline). Considering Disney didn't like Lucas' ideas for the sequel and was deemed 'too bold', yours sounds like crazy story ideas out the sons of anarchy lol
G-awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G-awesome For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (12-21-2015), M-17 (12-22-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 07:02 PM   #40
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
@G-awesome ^^ I like the way Sons of Anarchy in the SW universe sounds. The Skywalkers could use more Katey Sagal types looking after their family
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (12-24-2015), G-awesome (12-21-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 07:07 PM   #41
G-awesome

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Scion FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
@G-awesome ^^ I like the way Sons of Anarchy in the SW universe sounds. The Skywalkers could use more Katey Sagal types looking after their family
which would be Padme in your case!
G-awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to G-awesome For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (12-21-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 07:29 PM   #42
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:

1. She is a third secret child of Padme' Amidala (who did not actually die giving birth to Luke and Leia). Her father is Obi-wan Kenobi. Sound crazy?
But how?

That would imply that Padamame or Panda Bear or whatever her name is gave birth to Rey at age 60+??

Padme was at least 20 in Episode III.
Episode IV was 20 years after III.
Episode VI was ~4 years after IV.
Episode VII was 30 years after VI.

The numbers don't make sense.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (12-21-2015), M-17 (12-22-2015), strat61caster (12-22-2015)