follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 07-19-2023, 12:22 PM   #1
Kulebrero

Drives: GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Trailer harness — powered converter vs non-powered splice without a converter

please disregard, delete this post. A friend gracefully explained the simple harness will draw the signal and power from the car’s electrical system which may overwhelm the circuit. The custom harness has it own power so it only borrows the signal from the car’s electrical system without the risk of popping the circuit. I’m good to go and what to do. Thanks!

I know less than zero about wiring harnesses and car electronics.

I’d like to use a tire trailer for track duty. I’ve been waiting for manufacturers to produce a plug and play trailer harness for the Gen 2 86 without luck.

I figured I’d attempt to splice a Gen 1 Curt Trailer Harness into my Gen 2. The harness comes with a converter that requires power directly from the car’s battery. The trailer itself came with the wires needed to be spliced directly into the left, right, and brake lights.

Does the Curt harness with the powered converter offer any benefits over a direct splice? The trailer doesn’t have brakes. The wiring is only to power the brake lights and turn signals.

Please help!
Attached Images

Last edited by Kulebrero; 07-19-2023 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Pics
Kulebrero is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kulebrero For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (07-19-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 07:08 AM   #2
tiger1964

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulebrero View Post
A friend gracefully explained the simple harness will draw the signal and power from the car’s electrical system which may overwhelm the circuit. The custom harness has it own power so it only borrows the signal from the car’s electrical system without the risk of popping the circuit. I’m good to go and what to do.
If successful, if you could provide a "tutorial" with photos, showing how/where to splice in, a link to whatever parts you used... that would be great. You won't be the last to want a wiring harness (we have two trailers, one utility and one for the kayak, and the BRZ will be the tow vehicle).
Old 10-06-2023, 08:50 AM   #3
Kulebrero

Drives: GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger1964 View Post
If successful, if you could provide a "tutorial" with photos, showing how/where to splice in, a link to whatever parts you used... that would be great. You won't be the last to want a wiring harness (we have two trailers, one utility and one for the kayak, and the BRZ will be the tow vehicle).
Unfortunately, I had to take it to a mechanic friend of mine to help me wire the harness.

He found the brake lights and turn signals are two separate wires so the old Gen1 harness wouldn’t work at all. I had to mount a set of lights on the trailer for the side markers/running lights and brake lights using a 4-pin harness. And another set of lights for the turn signals also with a 4-pin harness (basically, the running light pin doesn’t get used on this harness).

The trailer came with just one harness and set of lights that were supposed to serve a dual purpose of signaling braking and turning. But since the car brake and turn signals are independent, we opted to use two harnesses and two sets of lights (all LED).

On the plus side, you don’t need a powered harness unless your trailer has a ton of lights or something. He spliced the harness right into the brake lights for the first harness and then spliced directly onto the turn signal wires with the second harness. There’s probably a better and cleaner solution, but at least it works. I’ve driven it about 1,000 miles so far without issues.
Kulebrero is offline   Reply With Quote