follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 03-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #141
RegisBou

Drives: Scion xA, Toyota MkI Mr2 (Sold)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Why? Why? Why? Why? WHY? Why ppl do that....? Well like Lexicon101 said, I give him some respect for doin' some ridiculous work... but if I gonna go through these kind of work, I rather do these kind of project instead.

Ever see a 2jz 1977 Celica

Yes I know that Porsche engines are mounted longitudinally. I have help work on Carrera 4s before, so I know somewhat knowledge bout it. I just made that statement cuz I thought it was easiest way to explain it. As for the engine mounting up with the FT86c's tranny, I'll bet you it won't. If it was that easy to mount a porsche H6 engine in then all the Subie morons (me included) would of swap it into their car instead of SVX, Legacy and all other H6 engines. Like you said, engine is mounted in the rear and result is crank rotation is different, so you gotta have special tranny (or crank) to make it work. Of course all these are just my analogy.
:happy0180:
RegisBou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:24 PM   #142
RegisBou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calais View Post
i was just about to ask why no1 has said porsche engine swap because i thought it would be a good option because of the qualities of those engines

OBVIOUSLY im not mechanically minded and know that a porsche engine will be hard to engine swap, but is it really unable to be done? what would you have to do to be able to put a porsche engine in the FT??
Not unable, you just have to figure out how to reverse the engine crank direction or do something to the drivetrain to make it spin the oposoite way needing a big bottle of tylenol for all the headaches you are going to have! LOL

In theory it is as if putting a FWD engine in a RWD car...kind of difficult but possible if you have the money!

Now if this was possible a 3.8 GT3 engine bored out to 4.2 making 400+ hp NA would be amazing but that alone is around 15-20k....LOL
Old 03-01-2010, 01:03 PM   #143
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisBou View Post
Not unable, you just have to figure out how to reverse the engine crank direction or do something to the drivetrain to make it spin the oposoite way needing a big bottle of tylenol for all the headaches you are going to have! LOL

In theory it is as if putting a FWD engine in a RWD car...kind of difficult but possible if you have the money!
The trick is in the transmission. You are over-complicating....in fact, completely blundering matters.

Quote:
Yes I know that Porsche engines are mounted longitudinally. I have help work on Carrera 4s before, so I know somewhat knowledge bout it. I just made that statement cuz I thought it was easiest way to explain it. As for the engine mounting up with the FT86c's tranny, I'll bet you it won't. If it was that easy to mount a porsche H6 engine in then all the Subie morons (me included) would of swap it into their car instead of SVX, Legacy and all other H6 engines. Like you said, engine is mounted in the rear and result is crank rotation is different, so you gotta have special tranny (or crank) to make it work. Of course all these are just my analogy.
I get what you are saying, and I know, the trick is in the gearbox. If you'd look to make big power, it's something you are gonna have to change anyway. Consider for a moment though, that wrx engines are a popular swap for vw bugs. IIRC, the flat 6s spin clockwise (looking from the front, ccw from the flywheel) just like many other engines (exceptions being pre2000? Honda engines and yes, some porsche engines noted).

Anyway you look at it, the solution is the transmission.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:14 PM   #144
RegisBou

[QUOTE=MatadorRacing_F1;11191]The trick is in the transmission. You are over-complicating....in fact, completely blundering matters.

Gotcha. I knew the transmission is the trick, but that just makes it not worth it IMO.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:24 PM   #145
Matador
hashiryu

The tranny (if the rumors are true) is going to be the Aisin 6-speed. It's a good tranny, but a V160 Getrag it ain't. It will likely be one of the first things to go on the road to large hp numbers.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:10 PM   #146
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
I get what you are saying, and I know, the trick is in the gearbox. If you'd look to make big power, it's something you are gonna have to change anyway. Consider for a moment though, that wrx engines are a popular swap for vw bugs. IIRC, the flat 6s spin clockwise (looking from the front, ccw from the flywheel) just like many other engines (exceptions being pre2000? Honda engines and yes, some porsche engines noted).

Anyway you look at it, the solution is the transmission.
Yes, I see tons of WRX/STI swapped vw bugs everywhere here in summer. They use special tranny to make it work.

Hm... No offense to Porsche, but if I want big power like that, I'll have STI engine and tranny. I have more option to choose from and prob be half of the cost... or if I wanna keep it NA like Porsche, put Leggy's H6 with STI tranny and go to tune shop to bore it out, forge piston (or even titanium), rod, racing cams, porting ceramic coating, 5 angle valve job, and all other job done and it'll still be less than cost of Porsche boxer engine with custom tranny.

As for crank rotation... Yes, all the Subie rotates like you said, clock wise from the flywheel view and yes, some Porsche engine did make ccw rotation, but iirc we're talking bout 70's Porsche here.

Quote:
The tranny (if the rumors are true) is going to be the Aisin 6-speed. It's a good tranny, but a V160 Getrag it ain't. It will likely be one of the first things to go on the road to large hp numbers.
It's not a rumor, it's a fact that it's gonna have Aisin's tranny.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:30 AM   #147
Lexicon101
Inexperienced

Drives: Crappy old '90 civic. Frankie.
Quote:
SS or it never happened.
Or.. sources, anyway.
Nao.
Lexicon101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:09 AM   #148
Calais

Drives: 2012 BRZ....finally
Garage
hey thanks guys i actually understood more than i thought i would.

keep going though if you want to
Calais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:03 AM   #149
Matador
hashiryu

Quote:
Yes, I see tons of WRX/STI swapped vw bugs everywhere here in summer. They use special tranny to make it work.

Hm... No offense to Porsche, but if I want big power like that, I'll have STI engine and tranny. I have more option to choose from and prob be half of the cost... or if I wanna keep it NA like Porsche, put Leggy's H6 with STI tranny and go to tune shop to bore it out, forge piston (or even titanium), rod, racing cams, porting ceramic coating, 5 angle valve job, and all other job done and it'll still be less than cost of Porsche boxer engine with custom tranny.

As for crank rotation... Yes, all the Subie rotates like you said, clock wise from the flywheel view and yes, some Porsche engine did make ccw rotation, but iirc we're talking bout 70's Porsche here.

I don't disagree with you that an STi engine would be a better choice per say, I'm just saying a Porsche engine isn't as big a deal to swap into an FR car as you are making it out to be.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #150
Midship Runabout
formerly Dixie Normous

Drives: The ladies wild!
I cant believe this engine swap thread has 10 pages about swapping a motor none of has ever seen/touched/used
Midship Runabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:35 PM   #151
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon101 View Post
SS or it never happened.
Or.. sources, anyway.
Nao.
K, here you go
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ighlight=aisin

Do you want more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Normous View Post
I cant believe this engine swap thread has 10 pages about swapping a motor none of has ever seen/touched/used
And no... it's 11 pages now. lol
Old 03-04-2010, 03:38 PM   #152
Abflug

Drives: MR2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
thank you for the infos... :happy0180:
Abflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:44 PM   #153
Matador
hashiryu

Technically, that doesn't "confirm" anything :p
Old 03-05-2010, 12:08 AM   #154
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Technically, that doesn't "confirm" anything :p
If Tada Tetsuya-san (Toyota Chief Engineerof FT86-concept) isn't enough proof, then I don't know that is.