follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 01-08-2019, 01:08 AM   #1
Easyshot21

Drives: 2018 brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
LOOKING FOR A GOOD TURBOCHARGER

sup subi fam. I'm looking at getting a turbo for my 2018 brz but not sure which one to go with. I see alot of people out there with hks, FB, greddy and etc. I'm looking to go with garrett water cooled turbo. I wanna stay around the 400-425ish whp range and start to spool around 4k rpm. Looking to stay around 2k just for the turbo itself. Got a little wiggle room. Thanks.
Easyshot21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:20 AM   #2
olsonpg

Drives: BRZ. R34 GT-T
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
With that type of horsepower range you should be looking for a turbo that hits full boost at least by 4000 or sooner. I'm hitting 400 wheel hp at full boost at 4k on a borgwarner 7163 EFR but I know of guys that are hitting 500+ on a smaller 6758 at damn near 3500.

Smaller turbo are definitely the way to go.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:30 AM   #3
Easyshot21

Drives: 2018 brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
With a turbo that starts to spool at 3k or be st full boost around 4k. Wouldn't be more wear and tear on your block due to the fact your gonna be at full boost most of the time your driving? Or am I over thinking it
Easyshot21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:54 PM   #4
tyler_win_photo

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyshot21 View Post
With a turbo that starts to spool at 3k or be st full boost around 4k. Wouldn't be more wear and tear on your block due to the fact your gonna be at full boost most of the time your driving? Or am I over thinking it
It also depends on the load. Even if you are at above 4k with no load on the engine it will not be boosting.

Do you have supporting mods for 400whp?
Old 01-08-2019, 12:59 PM   #5
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
The lower you experience boost, the more you will strain the engine and the more likely you'll see catastrophic failure.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (05-30-2019), Sportsguy83 (05-30-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 03:08 PM   #6
johl

Drives: toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I chose the hks turbo kit because it starts spoiling around 3000rpm and is at full boost by 4000rpm. This allows me to drive around town off boost 90% of the time as this car is my daily. But when I want to drive it harder then I will be above 4000rpm anyway so the “lag” was not a concern for me.

There are lots of turbos that will do exactly what you are asking so it won’t be hard for you to find one
Old 01-08-2019, 03:27 PM   #7
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
I like the G25
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:46 PM   #8
WC-BRZ

Drives: Black BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I like the G25
Excuse my ignorance, but I'm a bit behind the curve unlike some of you experts on the forum here.

Would you care to elaborate a bit more for a noob? Let's say I'd be considering the PTuning kit w/ the Gen 2 GTX-2867R, would something like the Garrett G25 out perform the GTX-2867R in terms of faster spool?

I don't necessarily care for peak power, just want an efficient setup - something that comes on boost as quickly as possible and does not run out of breath around redline. As smooth and linear a powerband as possible, NOT a 600hp monster!

Also, would a G25 work with the standard kits available to us? I.e. Greddy, HKS, Ptuning, etc.? Or is there some sort of a custom flange required?

lol where do I learn about all these details!
WC-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:10 PM   #9
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC-BRZ View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but I'm a bit behind the curve unlike some of you experts on the forum here.

Would you care to elaborate a bit more for a noob? Let's say I'd be considering the PTuning kit w/ the Gen 2 GTX-2867R, would something like the Garrett G25 out perform the GTX-2867R in terms of faster spool?

I don't necessarily care for peak power, just want an efficient setup - something that comes on boost as quickly as possible and does not run out of breath around redline. As smooth and linear a powerband as possible, NOT a 600hp monster!

Also, would a G25 work with the standard kits available to us? I.e. Greddy, HKS, Ptuning, etc.? Or is there some sort of a custom flange required?

lol where do I learn about all these details!
That's precisely the opposite of the ptuning kit, which has, quite literally, the longest charge piping of any kit on the market. It has excellent heat management, but the worst transient response.

The G25 costs nearly double a GTX-28. To put it in perspective, the G25 costs more than an entire SBD turbo kit!

The G25 spools like a borg warner, but offers Garrett reliability. Win-win, except for the wallet, but I dont know a single G25 user who regrets it.

A G25 will work with most kits that use standard flanges, but will likely need minor alterations to possibly oil/coolant line routing, clocking, and possibly exhaust piping.

How much power are you realistically looking for?
Old 01-10-2019, 05:12 PM   #10
WC-BRZ

Quote:
That's precisely the opposite of the ptuning kit, which has, quite literally, the longest charge piping of any kit on the market. It has excellent heat management, but the worst transient response.

The G25 costs nearly double a GTX-28. To put it in perspective, the G25 costs more than an entire SBD turbo kit!

The G25 spools like a borg warner, but offers Garrett reliability. Win-win, except for the wallet, but I dont know a single G25 user who regrets it.

A G25 will work with most kits that use standard flanges, but will likely need minor alterations to possibly oil/coolant line routing, clocking, and possibly exhaust piping.

How much power are you realistically looking for?
Heat management is the main reason why PTuning is my favorite kit. When I first started looking into boosting the 86 and started reading people's experiences here, nothing but heat issues with pretty much every kit - not surprising given the turbo location of these kits, i.e. right smack in the front of the engine bay.

Also, the top mount location of every kit is really not very pleasing given that it places so much weight up front - the Ptuning kit, with the exception of charge pipes and FMIC at the front, places the turbo lower which, I believe, is key in retaining the wonderful balance this platform has.

I believe you run your Greddy turbo kit on the track, correct? Using a turbo blanket, oil cooler and vented hood has been a successful strategy so far? Care to share other things you've learned from running the Greddy kit? Regrets? What would you do differently next time around?
Old 01-10-2019, 05:22 PM   #11
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC-BRZ View Post
Heat management is the main reason why PTuning is my favorite kit. When I first started looking into boosting the 86 and started reading people's experiences here, nothing but heat issues with pretty much every kit - not surprising given the turbo location of these kits, i.e. right smack in the front of the engine bay.

Also, the top mount location of every kit is really not very pleasing given that it places so much weight up front - the Ptuning kit, with the exception of charge pipes and FMIC at the front, places the turbo lower which, I believe, is key in retaining the wonderful balance this platform has.

I believe you run your Greddy turbo kit on the track, correct? Using a turbo blanket, oil cooler and vented hood has been a successful strategy so far? Care to share other things you've learned from running the Greddy kit? Regrets? What would you do differently next time around?
I have full boost at 2300 RPMs, although that's not very nice to the rods, and with a solid heat management strategy, I've had no issues. No BOV/Recirc makes for fantastic transient response and modulation.

No melted fans or anything here; the GReddy kit includes wrap for all exposed wiring anyways. The kit is comprehensive, which is why I picked it.

While the Ptuning has the easiest thermal management out of the box, the lack of response is what swayed me away from it. I don't mind doing a bit extra up front to do things right.

The G25 is almost a bolt-on for the T518Z kit. Rumor has it I may be swapping it on for more power, although the G25 will need a BOV.

I seem to be the only person, literally, successfully tracking a turbo FA20, at anything other than a very casual pace. Pays off to use quality parts and planning ahead.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:32 PM   #12
WC-BRZ

Quote:
I have full boost at 2300 RPMs, although that's not very nice to the rods, and with a solid heat management strategy, I've had no issues. No BOV/Recirc makes for fantastic transient response and modulation.

No melted fans or anything here; the GReddy kit includes wrap for all exposed wiring anyways. The kit is comprehensive, which is why I picked it.

While the Ptuning has the easiest thermal management out of the box, the lack of response is what swayed me away from it. I don't mind doing a bit extra up front to do things right.

The G25 is almost a bolt-on for the T518Z kit. Rumor has it I may be swapping it on for more power, although the G25 will need a BOV.

I seem to be the only person, literally, successfully tracking a turbo FA20, at anything other than a very casual pace. Pays off to use quality parts and planning ahead.
If I'm not mistaken, going without a BOV is what is likely to cause "compressor surge", since there's no relief between on/off throttle? Does the Greddy kit come with a BOV and you decided just to not use it?

I liked that you said you experience full boost around 2300rpm which seems like it may just be as good as it gets. From what I've seen w/ the V2 Ptuning kit, it seems it does boost fairly quickly as well. Perhaps it's maybe a few hundred rpm behind the Greddy kit (dyno graph below). It seems the curve is linear as well w/o any major spikes.

One last major thing I cannot seem to understand: the ptuning kit with their EL header seems to make amazing numbers at only 6psi (around almost 300whp, I believe). It seems the Greddy kit needs 10psi to hit high 200's or so - correct?

Now is this because of the type of turbo the kits are using? If that's the case, so with you switching to G25, would you be not only possibly spooling even faster but doing better in terms of efficiency (i.e. more power w/ a 6psi spring than before?)

Thanks again for all your contribution with everything on the forum. I hope you make a new thread to share your results if/when you switch to the new turbo.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:37 PM   #13
CSG Mike

Yes, it would cause compressor surge. Off-throttle compressor surge isn't going to hurt a 18G in any way.

Your dyno show the Ptuning hitting full spool on low boost at about 4000 rpm. That's a lot more than a few hundred behind 2300.

You should do an apples to apples comparison, both boost pressure, fuel, and breathing mods. I hit 250whp on ACN91 with a stock front pipe and stock catback at just 5.5 psi, for example. I hit 360whp at 10.5psi on the same setup with ethanol. Dead silent.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:40 PM   #14
Turbo

Drives: FR-S Turbo
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
The lower you experience boost, the more you will strain the engine and the more likely you'll see catastrophic failure.

I'm not sure if that is actually the case, unless we are talking hitting full boost at VERY low RPMs (where there is insufficient oil pressure at the crank/rods) ?

These cars seem to suffer from oiling issues at higher RPMs, not at lower ones.

Given this, an install that gives up some top end for more midrange might be able to yield the same performance while giving better reliability, not worse.
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote