follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 04-01-2016, 12:07 AM   #1
deuncos

Drives: AT Hot lava FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Automatic TCU tuning, anyone?

It's been a while since this post http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...t=46603&page=2 has there been any development in tuning the TCU on the AT, I'm assuming there's not much interest or there isn't that big of market to justify R&D (I may be incorrect?), but it seems strange that no one has unlocked the TCU and messed around with the AT trans? I'm aware there are mechanical upgrades that can be done but I'm talking about non-invasive/software tuning. Can anyone shed some light on this, are there any companies out there that have tuned the TCU on the AT twins?
deuncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:11 AM   #2
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuncos View Post
It's been a while since this post http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...t=46603&page=2 has there been any development in tuning the TCU on the AT, I'm assuming there's not much interest or there isn't that big of market to justify R&D (I may be incorrect?), but it seems strange that no one has unlocked the TCU and messed around with the AT trans? I'm aware there are mechanical upgrades that can be done but I'm talking about non-invasive/software tuning. Can anyone shed some light on this, are there any companies out there that have tuned the TCU on the AT twins?
Nothing Yet. I am also waiting
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:54 AM   #3
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Nothing yet, although in techstream all you can really do is reset it to relearn the transmission. I would really like something like tactrix for it because then you could upload the latest tcm logics and such.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:25 PM   #4
NyC Zn6

Drives: 10 Series #974 6m/t
Thanked 1,140 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I have a manual....looks like the Auto box can hold more power...would it be something like a valve body upgrade?
NyC Zn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:56 PM   #5
Wayno

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Why do people keep asking about this? What exactly do you intend to fix? All the issues I've seen or heard about are due to hardware or fluid level or fluid temp.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wayno For This Useful Post:
Cole (04-06-2016), D_Thissen (04-06-2016), FRSBRZGT86FAN (04-02-2016), Tectoniic (04-04-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 01:30 AM   #6
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
Why do people keep asking about this? What exactly do you intend to fix? All the issues I've seen or heard about are due to hardware or fluid level or fluid temp.

I have no clue why OP wants it accessed, but I would like access to update the TCM logic alot of people have had problems where the dealership refuses to fix the weird "downshift issue" that recently had a TSB in the form of a logic update. I have it now and the shifts are much smoother and the idle feels much more stable, it'd be nice if others could get that as well.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:37 AM   #7
FRS Justin

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
Things like:
1. Shift points
2. Shift firmness
3.Main line pressure
4. High rpm shift hang ups
5. Torque convertor lock up
6. Stall speed rpms

This is what I would start with.
FRS Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRS Justin For This Useful Post:
Silent_Dan (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 11:16 AM   #8
xsnapshot
Fast enough

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS Justin View Post
Things like:
1. Shift points
2. Shift firmness
3.Main line pressure
4. High rpm shift hang ups
5. Torque convertor lock up
6. Stall speed rpms

This is what I would start with.
I don't think stall speed can be altered with TCU tuning. That usually requires a high stall converter.

However...that being said, EcuTek can do some of these things. Moto-East was able to increase the line pressure via their tune and also alter a few other things with high RPM shifting on my car.

What I'm not sure of it that was by directly changing TCU programming, or fooling the TCU by altering the ECU output to the TCU.

For example, a stock car with the pedal only down 20% of the way might be programmed to shift with less line pressure than if the pedal was 100% down. Once you've doubled the factory HP though, chances are you'd need increased line pressure at the 20% throttle mark. What their tuning MIGHT be doing is telling the TCU..."hey I am at 100% throttle all the time. Shift as hard as you can every shift!".
xsnapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:41 PM   #9
phrosty

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Shift points would be nice, would be able to correct for the new power band.
2013 Whiteout 6AT FR-S | Perrin Inlet Tube + 2.75" CAI | OpenFlash Header | P&L Catback | 4.88 Final Drive | Dialed in OFT 2.0x Stage 2 E85 | 18x8 Enkei Raijin + 225/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | 17x7 Stock + 215/45 Michelin X-Ice Xi-2
phrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:03 PM   #10
FRS Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsnapshot View Post
I don't think stall speed can be altered with TCU tuning. That usually requires a high stall converter.

However...that being said, EcuTek can do some of these things. Moto-East was able to increase the line pressure via their tune and also alter a few other things with high RPM shifting on my car.

What I'm not sure of it that was by directly changing TCU programming, or fooling the TCU by altering the ECU output to the TCU.

For example, a stock car with the pedal only down 20% of the way might be programmed to shift with less line pressure than if the pedal was 100% down. Once you've doubled the factory HP though, chances are you'd need increased line pressure at the 20% throttle mark. What their tuning MIGHT be doing is telling the TCU..."hey I am at 100% throttle all the time. Shift as hard as you can every shift!".
You can change your stall speed by locking the convertor. It is a old school trick we used on grand nationals to get a little more boost on the line. We just ran a hot wire to the convertor lock up switch and presto 800 more rpm and 5 to 8 pounds of boost added lol
I do like your theory on the tuning I wish I had a schematic to figure it out. I was researching doing away with the tcu and going full manual mode but haven't finished all the research yet.. It looks doable
Old 04-08-2016, 11:36 AM   #11
xsnapshot
Fast enough

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS Justin View Post
You can change your stall speed by locking the convertor. It is a old school trick we used on grand nationals to get a little more boost on the line. We just ran a hot wire to the convertor lock up switch and presto 800 more rpm and 5 to 8 pounds of boost added lol
I do like your theory on the tuning I wish I had a schematic to figure it out. I was researching doing away with the tcu and going full manual mode but haven't finished all the research yet.. It looks doable
Justin, can you explain more about the torque converter thing?

That doesn't make any sense to me at all. A locked converter is directly connecting the transmission with the engine. Just like being in gear in a manual without the clutch depressed. No movement = no RPM's.....

Your stall speed is essentially when you no longer have enough torque to overcome the friction between the the impeller and the turbine. I can't see how "locking" the impeller to the turbine would allow you to increase your stall speed.
xsnapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:38 PM   #12
FRS Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsnapshot View Post
Justin, can you explain more about the torque converter thing?

That doesn't make any sense to me at all. A locked converter is directly connecting the transmission with the engine. Just like being in gear in a manual without the clutch depressed. No movement = no RPM's.....

Your stall speed is essentially when you no longer have enough torque to overcome the friction between the the impeller and the turbine. I can't see how "locking" the impeller to the turbine would allow you to increase your stall speed.
What I am referring to is locking the stator in the convertor to change how the fluid is transfered.( they used to be called switch pitch convertors) So when it locked you can overcome the fluid transfer easier. Like the pitch of a boat prop. A ski boat has a low pitch to pull the skier out of the water faster.(more torque) but a high pitch prop allows the boat to displace more water so it can have a faster top speed but you give up pulling power.

I hope I explained it well enough, I know how it works but suck at trying to spell it out.
Here is a old article on a gm switch pitch 400 Kenne Bell worked on

http://www.bdub.net/tranny/TwoTimer-...11-77-text.pdf
Old 11-24-2016, 01:41 PM   #13
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Garage
Yes, there is something you can do.

Quote:
If you have a way to edit your ECU, as in Ecutek, BRZedit, Tactrix, or OFT, you can open the Drive By Wire section, and edit the Calculated Torque tables to affect the TCU. I've just started trying to understand the TCU logic by modifying the A and B tables. I started simply by shifting all the columns one column to the left, saving it, and calling it +10. Then, starting from the same original file, shifting all the columns one column to the right, saving it, and calling it -10. Now I have 3 tunes I can compare, +10, original, and -10.

I thought that telling the TCU I had more power would cause it to shift later, and firmer. Absolutely, positively, not true. The TCU is programmed to shift sooner under heavier loads. It short-shifted so bad my wife didn't like it. The original was a bit better than +10, but -10 was better yet. I still don't know how far I can take it, but I might have to tell the TCU that the engine never makes over 100HP till it exceeds 1.2 load, or 5000 RPMs.

I've gone a lot farther than my -10 table. So far, I'm just making the A and B tables the same, but I think one of them is for sport mode or something. Here's some pics of my latest table, versus the original table.
Attached Images

Last edited by KoolBRZ; 11-24-2016 at 01:58 PM.
KoolBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KoolBRZ For This Useful Post:
Paulo86 (03-29-2018)
Old 03-03-2021, 09:31 AM   #14
pro_turbo

Drives:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyC Zn6 View Post
I have a manual....looks like the Auto box can hold more power...would it be something like a valve body upgrade?
I am using ssp high press torq converter and stage 3+ drag VB its pretty good handling boost
pro_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote