follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 06-26-2016, 10:46 PM   #29
Silver Cervy
*Some really cool title*

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Well....most of the time the cheap ones are built out of a parts bin. I've seen the same damper labeled for 4 different cars and that is not uncommon.

- Andrew
Haha well obviously you're not getting anything spectacular when going cheap. There's really no point in buying coilovers if you're not going to invest a little in them.
Silver Cervy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:13 PM   #30
XanRules
A Very Powerful Wizard

Drives: 2014 BRZ LTD WRB (RIP), 2017 FiST
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Coilovers are useless on a street car.

They have uses for show cars for kiddies who only care about being as absolutely low as possible, and they're useful for track cars because of the adjustability. They're pointless on a street car.
XanRules is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XanRules For This Useful Post:
totopo (06-30-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 03:45 AM   #31
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Coilovers in general are not just ones designed for track (even stock ones are coilovers btw :P). There are also ones designed with street use & comfort in mind. Some more expensive ones can give both comfort then stock and more track capability. And just because one can slam to stupid low car with some of them, doesn't mean that everybody do that and that it's coilovers' fault.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
8R6 (06-28-2016), Mim (06-27-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 06:22 AM   #32
Mim

Drives: MY11 Maxima 350st, MY15 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanRules View Post

They have uses for show cars for kiddies who only care about being as absolutely low as possible, and they're useful for track cars because of the adjustability. They're pointless on a street car.
lolwat?

If you think the stock ride of our twins is the last word in comfort then you must have pretty low expectations. I'm getting quotes for some Tein Flex Z's to improve my ride and certainly don't mind the handling improvement, but the last thing on my mind is lowering.

You do realize our cars come stock with coil over suspension right?

And yes while I own it at least, my car will never see a race track.
MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:32 AM   #33
Mim

Drives: MY11 Maxima 350st, MY15 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Cervy View Post
Haha well obviously you're not getting anything spectacular when going cheap. There's really no point in buying coilovers if you're not going to invest a little in them.
Tein Flex Z's would be considered cheap, but are a quality DD biased coil over. Though I agree with the old saying you got to pay to play, I also love the old pick the right tool for the job expression.

Depending on your needs you might not need a top end track biased suspension when all you want is a bit of low, some better handling or simply better ride. I wouldn't dismiss an aftermarket part out of hand just because of a low price point.

Years of watching Mighty Car Mod's youtube channel has taught me the value of cost effective mods
MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:02 AM   #34
Silver Cervy
*Some really cool title*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
Depending on your needs you might not need a top end track biased suspension when all you want is a bit of low, some better handling or simply better ride. I wouldn't dismiss an aftermarket part out of hand just because of a low price point.
I have a $350 catback on my car, so you can be sure that I don't dismiss cheap parts (it's a pretty good catback too).
Old 06-27-2016, 01:07 PM   #35
XanRules
A Very Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
lolwat?

If you think the stock ride of our twins is the last word in comfort then you must have pretty low expectations. I'm getting quotes for some Tein Flex Z's to improve my ride and certainly don't mind the handling improvement, but the last thing on my mind is lowering.

You do realize our cars come stock with coil over suspension right?

And yes while I own it at least, my car will never see a race track.
If you would like to show me where I said "the stock ride of our twins is the last word in comfort" I will paypal you a million dollars.

I said that coilovers are pointless in a street car, and I said that because their benefits over a decent spring/strut combo are entirely negligible in that context but they're vastly more expensive.

Last edited by XanRules; 06-27-2016 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:44 PM   #36
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If you hate coilovers that much, quickly remove stock ones and weld suspension to frame
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Silver Cervy (06-27-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 02:33 PM   #37
Silver Cervy
*Some really cool title*

@XanRules

Some ice for the impending burn.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:48 PM   #38
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,187 Times in 3,474 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Zebedee comes to mind..
Attached Images

JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:52 PM   #39
smg1138

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanRules View Post

I have to disagree. I have RCE Tarmac 2's and they've been great on my car which is primarily a daily driver. I can lower them during AutoX/Track season and raise them back up in winter. Plus the 2 way adjustability gives tons of damping options and the narrow spring perches allow for much wider rims.
smg1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:00 PM   #40
XanRules
A Very Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by smg1138 View Post
I have to disagree. I have RCE Tarmac 2's and they've been great on my car which is primarily a daily driver. I can lower them during AutoX/Track season and raise them back up in winter. Plus the 2 way adjustability gives tons of damping options and the narrow spring perches allow for much wider rims.
Right. It's not a dedicated street-only car. You track it. That's what I'm saying.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:06 PM   #41
XanRules
A Very Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Cervy View Post
@XanRules

Some ice for the impending burn.

Which impeding burn? Some smug dorks on the internet pretending not to know what I mean when I say "coilovers" vs a spring and strut combo and hitting me with that absolutely brutal "UH WELL ACTUALLY," when anybody who's ever even changed a tire knows what someone means when they say "coilovers" vs "struts and springs?"

Sorry, I figured that's why you, RaceComp, and many other people in this very thread have talked about "coilovers" in the context of a discussion about their benefits/drawbacks over struts and springs - because everyone knew that in this context, a self-contained coilover system ("coilovers") meant something other than a strut and spring combo ("struts and springs").

Yeah, pretending to be stupid is a SICK burn, you failures.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:30 PM   #42
Silver Cervy
*Some really cool title*

Damn, no need to get so heated over it. We're all just having a lighthearted conversation, so no one's being 100% serious. You're right about coilovers being unnecessary on a street car, but if people want them they'll still get them, so you're not really dissuading anyone here.

If you really want to have a coilover vs. spring conversation then you can go to another thread.