follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 12-04-2016, 12:14 PM   #1
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Pinnacle Advanced Driving Academy (PADA) - 2017 Track School Dates

Hi everyone!

I know it'll feel weird to be talking about track days in a Canadian forum in December but Pinnacle Advanced Driving Academy (http://www.pinnacledriving.com/) has officially inked their dates with Toronto Motorsports Park for the 2017 Track School events!

Full Disclaimer: I am an instructor with them.

Right now, we're offering a discount if you sign up before the end of 2016! $350 for a full day (INCLUDES TAXES!) at TMP with in-class and on-track personalized one-to-one training!

One of the reasons why I like our curriculum over others is that we focus on the training part and we will actually build a repository of student information so that we remember what you've been taught and follow up on it so that it's not a semi-reboot everytime you come back. We want you back! If you've dabbled in autocross and other track days, you'll notice our instructor lineup are a consistent group of folks who attend things like PITL, Hanson, ILR, etc. and we're a fun and open group to anyone and everyone.

Really looking forward to seeing y'all at the track!

UPDATE:
To showcase the benefits of track school and to show how the average Joe... or in this case, Thomas, can get into track events - PADA and T.H. Reviews have teamed up to produce a season long series that follows Thomas' journey through Ontario Time Attack with the help of instruction from PADA. Keep watching to follow up on Thomas' journey from prep, execution to lessons learnt! I will post up the new videos here as we go along. I might even make a cameo!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDXlNyroPmc"]ROAD TO TIME ATTACK // Ep. 1 // StopTech Brake Install and Simulator Training // BMW track car prep - YouTube[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06rfCdK63Ao[/ame]

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK

Last edited by Frost; 04-05-2017 at 08:28 PM.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:30 AM   #2
guanqi89

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Interested!

how much track time can we expect?
guanqi89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:22 PM   #3
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by guanqi89 View Post
Interested!

how much track time can we expect?
About 4-5 hours of on track time broken in various segments (ie: NOT 4-5 straight).

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Old 12-09-2016, 03:08 PM   #4
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
About 4-5 hours of on track time broken in various segments (ie: NOT 4-5 straight).
That's A LOT of time on track, is that actually how much people are getting?

For comparison, the SPDA/ATTS days typically give people 8 15 minute sessions (2 hours total), and most people are burned out before the day is over.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:31 PM   #5
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
That's A LOT of time on track, is that actually how much people are getting?

For comparison, the SPDA/ATTS days typically give people 8 15 minute sessions (2 hours total), and most people are burned out before the day is over.
4-5 hour is actual time on the track but keep in mind it a good chunk of it will be going at low to mid speed working on basics and not lapping day speeds. We're focusing on fundamentals first and working up throughout the day. This is NOT a lapping day - want to be very clear on that! This is an intro to performance driving at the track only.

I haven't been to an ATTS day (hopefully to change next year) but our course is similar in model to the Ian Law course. They get around the same amount at DDT but I'd say a good 2.5 hours is at half speed getting the vision, line and braking habits in.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Old 12-09-2016, 03:36 PM   #6
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Would we be training in out own cars? When I went to your site there was mention of training in different cars and then 30 minutes in your own. I doubt I would fit in most of them listed.

Also, are helmets a requirement? Same thing, height issue.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:24 PM   #7
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
Would we be training in out own cars? When I went to your site there was mention of training in different cars and then 30 minutes in your own. I doubt I would fit in most of them listed.

You will be using your own vehicles but will get a chance to sit in with instructors for a full hot lap run. You can sit in with Colin's Alfa Romeo, Jay's Exige or Focus RS, etc. etc. to see what they do.

As for helmets, you will need to bring your own helmet.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
The Following User Says Thank You to Frost For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 10:34 PM   #8
wparsons

Garage
Quote:
4-5 hour is actual time on the track but keep in mind it a good chunk of it will be going at low to mid speed working on basics and not lapping day speeds. We're focusing on fundamentals first and working up throughout the day. This is NOT a lapping day - want to be very clear on that! This is an intro to performance driving at the track only.

I haven't been to an ATTS day (hopefully to change next year) but our course is similar in model to the Ian Law course. They get around the same amount at DDT but I'd say a good 2.5 hours is at half speed getting the vision, line and braking habits in.
I'm 99% sure you were at an ATTS day in 2015 (joined with the OTA Shootout)?

Old 12-09-2016, 11:02 PM   #9
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
I'm 99% sure you were at an ATTS day in 2015 (joined with the OTA Shootout)?

Whoops yes, you are correct - for some reason thought you said ATTS school.

Definitely signing up for the OTA school next year. Roll bar will be on order soon!

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
The Following User Says Thank You to Frost For This Useful Post:
wparsons (12-11-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 11:04 PM   #10
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post

UPDATE: There are a LIMITED number of loaner helmets thanks to the Push-it-to-the-Limit autocross series (an official partner of PADA).

It is still strongly suggested you have your own helmet but we will have emergency loaners in case.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Old 12-10-2016, 02:13 PM   #11
2015WhiteFRS

Drives: 2015 White FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
UPDATE: There are a LIMITED number of loaner helmets thanks to the Push-it-to-the-Limit autocross series (an official partner of PADA).

It is still strongly suggested you have your own helmet but we will have emergency loaners in case.
I'm really interested in this, part of the reason why I decided to go get a FRS was to be able to participate in events like these (since I've never really done it before).

Is there a minimum safety standard or SA rating requirement in the helmet I bring? Also, if I sign up to participate and pay, only to realize I'm not able to make it to an of these days. What is the refund policy?
2015WhiteFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:39 PM   #12
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015WhiteFRS View Post
I'm really interested in this, part of the reason why I decided to go get a FRS was to be able to participate in events like these (since I've never really done it before).

Is there a minimum safety standard or SA rating requirement in the helmet I bring? Also, if I sign up to participate and pay, only to realize I'm not able to make it to an of these days. What is the refund policy?
Regarding the helmet: Snell 2005 SA or newer will be fine.

Refund policy is typically no refund. What most schools will do is allow you to find someone else to take your place and they can pay you what you paid the school. From an accounting perspective and attendance perspective for the school it is easiest or else the whole event is run on shaky attendance and it costs us a lot of money and time from various folks to keep this afloat.

What I suggest is that you book the date you like in advance and treat it like a vacation day. Book time off and commit financially that way, you are in. Like taking a turn, partial commitment just won't end well - so take the time to consider it and hopefully, we'll see you out there!

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Old 12-11-2016, 09:47 PM   #13
wparsons

Garage
Most groups allow Snell M as well, but not sure if your insurance is different. Typically you only need an SA helmet for a caged car.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:12 PM   #14
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015WhiteFRS View Post
Also, if I sign up to participate and pay, only to realize I'm not able to make it to an of these days. What is the refund policy?
UPDATE: On the cancellation policy, we will allow you to cancel prior to the event and in return, we will provide you with a voucher valid for 12 months for the next track school event. This is of course assuming you registered and paid for the event already.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK