follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 12-27-2018, 12:53 PM   #1
STI-ish

Drives: 13 BRZ Sport Tech Turbo
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Pioneer W8400 with Maestro RR?

So I just got the Pioneer AVIC W8400-NEX HU for Xmas and I'm pretty excited about it.

One of the features I'm interested in is the gauges it can have with the addition of the Maestro RR. From what I can find it taps into he OBDII??

Does anyone have this head unit with the Maestro RR??
STI-ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:36 PM   #2
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Just read your manual.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
Grady (12-27-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 02:56 PM   #3
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Just read your manual.
What? Why would you read and get the correct information in 10 minutes when you can ask for the info on a forum and spend days reading misinformation.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
Joon525 (01-02-2019), Mr.ac (12-27-2018), soundman98 (12-28-2018), toast (12-27-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 03:02 PM   #4
STI-ish

I guess I have to be more specific...the manual isn’t going to tell me what others with the set up think of it.
Is the Maestro RR worth the investment? I have a 2013 BRZ so the steering wheel controls are not valid...I would be getting it specifically for the gauges.
Ease of installation?
Personal experiences? How did you find it fit? I’ve read with other vehicles that it was a really tight fit.
Do the gauges work nicely?
What gauges can you get with the maestro on these cars? The review video I watched touched very briefly on it and the information on the Maestro website did not give detail.
I’m boosted...will I be able to get the boost gauge? or since the car is not boosted from factory will I not be able to have a boost gauge integrated?
Are there any other cool features you have found with the Maeatro RR with the w8400 head unit in your BRZ/FRS/86?
Old 12-27-2018, 04:29 PM   #5
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I've never heard the of the Maestro RR before, but I have a 4100NEX and just read that it does not have the full data capability that newer models have. So now I have to spend $500 on a new head unit so that I can get the Maestro for another $100. Thanks a lot STI-ish
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:29 PM   #6
ScionWolf

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I like it on mine. Wire harness came with obd2 plug so no splicing needed. It does have the option for boost gauges but I believe it's fed thru the obd port so not sure how you'd wire it for aftermarket.
ScionWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ScionWolf For This Useful Post:
STI-ish (12-28-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 06:51 PM   #7
STI-ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Just read your manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
What? Why would you read and get the correct information in 10 minutes when you can ask for the info on a forum and spend days reading misinformation.

Thanks for the genius answers guys....I suppose I could go purchase the add on unit just so I could read the manual....Or I could hope someone else has already done it and can share their thoughts and opinions
Old 12-28-2018, 10:16 PM   #8
el-guapin

Drives: 1949 UFO
Thanked 1,701 Times in 434 Posts
This thread by NCtoBRZ might help...
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126171

Quote:
Originally Posted by STI-ish View Post
So I just got the Pioneer AVIC W8400-NEX HU for Xmas and I'm pretty excited about it.

One of the features I'm interested in is the gauges it can have with the addition of the Maestro RR. From what I can find it taps into he OBDII??

Does anyone have this head unit with the Maestro RR??

el-guapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:37 AM   #9
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the genius answers guys....I suppose I could go purchase the add on unit just so I could read the manual....Or I could hope someone else has already done it and can share their thoughts and opinions
You could have use your google-fu and you know....google it or YouTube it for reviews/installs/testimonials or what ever.
But I guess making a post here and waiting for responses is much better use of your time. Not like wasting the 3 minutes asking google..... but eh what ever floats your boat.

Glad I can help. Ask for help any time.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (12-29-2018)
Old 01-01-2019, 06:11 PM   #10
UT_BRZ

Drives: 17 Limited BRZ
You would have to do some research for your specific model year and be prepared to do some additional wiring and troubleshooting. You CANNOT follow any hard-wire diagrams anymore. You would have to pick up a T01 harness and be prepared to redo a lot of it.

I have the Maestro RR in my 2017 with an Alpine ILX-207 and I couldn't survive without it. I am boosted with a JDL kit and the gauges I run are Boost, AFR, Oil Temp and Coolant Temp. There are quite a few other options for gauges too.

As for tapping into the OBD, there is a 6-Pin plug located just behind the head unit to the right that you can connect to.
UT_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 05:12 PM   #11
Williampreza

Drives: 2017 Ice Silver BRZ Limited
Quote:
I guess I have to be more specific...the manual isn’t going to tell me what others with the set up think of it.
Is the Maestro RR worth the investment? I have a 2013 BRZ so the steering wheel controls are not valid...I would be getting it specifically for the gauges.
Ease of installation?
Personal experiences? How did you find it fit? I’ve read with other vehicles that it was a really tight fit.
Do the gauges work nicely?
What gauges can you get with the maestro on these cars? The review video I watched touched very briefly on it and the information on the Maestro website did not give detail.
I’m boosted...will I be able to get the boost gauge? or since the car is not boosted from factory will I not be able to have a boost gauge integrated?
Are there any other cool features you have found with the Maeatro RR with the w8400 head unit in your BRZ/FRS/86?
I just finished installing an AVH1440NEX with the Maestro RR and the SU2 harness. I flashed it to Maestro's current 2017 BRZ firmware. Everything works great. The only confusion I had was that their wiring diagram said to use the RCA plugs for my car (Limited BRZ with OEM radio) and after some discussion, Crutchfield and I decided to go with the high level wiring. That works perfectly.

The other issue is that Maestro's documentation had no antenna power wire hookup. I ended up connecting the blue wire from the Metra antenna adapter to the ACC power (red wire). That also works just fine.

EDIT: That was NOT the right way to connect the antenna. I got terrible reception because the antenna amplifier wasn’t powered properly. Turns out, I needed to connect the blue wire from Maestro’s harness to a switched +12v source. I chose the red ACC wire because I was already using the blue/white amp turn on for my amplifier and a Micro bypass. NOW it works fine for real.

The OBD hookup works "okay". I'm a little disappointed that the gauge options are limited in weird ways. For instance, the center gauge on page one can only be RPM, Throttle position, or Timing advance. The others are also limited, but I made it work because I only really needed to effectively move the Oil and Coolant temp gauges away from the display in the main gauge cluster so I can use the lap timer. Ideally, I could get Ethanol % to work (PID 52), but I don't see that option anywhere.

There is a Validate PID's menu choice that appears to do nothing. Ima call Maestro or Crutchfield or Pioneer next week and see if something's not turned on, or if this is really all there is.

Also, my tire pressure sensors all say N/A.

I'll take some pictures of the gauges and menu options. It's weird.

Last edited by Williampreza; 01-12-2019 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Antenna connection corrected.
Williampreza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Williampreza For This Useful Post:
PerCompLLC (01-19-2023), TofuJoe (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 06:19 PM   #12
Williampreza

Drives: 2017 Ice Silver BRZ Limited
Here's a walkthrough. If anyone knows why the PID validation does nothing and why the tire pressure sensors don't show up, please chime in.

Williampreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:17 PM   #13
COBlue

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williampreza View Post
I just finished installing an AVH1440NEX with the Maestro RR and the SU2 harness. I flashed it to Maestro's current 2017 BRZ firmware. Everything works great. The only confusion I had was that their wiring diagram said to use the RCA plugs for my car (Limited BRZ with OEM radio) and after some discussion, Crutchfield and I decided to go with the high level wiring. That works perfectly.

The other issue is that Maestro's documentation had no antenna power wire hookup. I ended up connecting the blue wire from the Metra antenna adapter to the ACC power (red wire). That also works just fine.

The OBD hookup works "okay". I'm a little disappointed that the gauge options are limited in weird ways. For instance, the center gauge on page one can only be RPM, Throttle position, or Timing advance. The others are also limited, but I made it work because I only really needed to effectively move the Oil and Coolant temp gauges away from the display in the main gauge cluster so I can use the lap timer. Ideally, I could get Ethanol % to work (PID 52), but I don't see that option anywhere.

There is a Validate PID's menu choice that appears to do nothing. Ima call Maestro or Crutchfield or Pioneer next week and see if something's not turned on, or if this is really all there is.

Also, my tire pressure sensors all say N/A.

I'll take some pictures of the gauges and menu options. It's weird.
Try scrolling up on the gauge positions - they start at different places in the list for some reason. Drove me nuts forever.

TPM is an issue with 2017 and SU2 harness but iDatalink is aware of it and says working on it. (Works fine with TO1 harness but other issues with that harness).
COBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to COBlue For This Useful Post:
Williampreza (01-12-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 12:07 PM   #14
COBlue

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBlue View Post
Try scrolling up on the gauge positions - they start at different places in the list for some reason. Drove me nuts forever.

TPM is an issue with 2017 and SU2 harness but iDatalink is aware of it and says working on it. (Works fine with TO1 harness but other issues with that harness).

iDatalink has updated the firmware to 1.4 and TPMS now works with the SU2 harness. Interestingly they are pulling the from the CAN bus so might be possible to use the CAN plug behind the radio on the right instead of OBD? iDatalink wouldn't confirm this.

According to iDatalink newer version of the SU2 harness have been rewired to properly provide amp power without splicing into the brown/red wire that's feeding to Pin 9 near the 18 pin RR harness.
COBlue is offline   Reply With Quote