follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-30-2018, 12:46 PM   #43
evomike

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokay444 View Post
Once he's got some quality components on the car, we'll be able to guide him the rest of the way. Thanks bud.
oh shit your so awesome, you guys will really get him there that is why i was the one who pointed out that his car was never aligned. good luck dog
evomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:56 PM   #44
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Drives: 17 White 860. RCE Tarmac 2. RE-71RS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
I agree, the only noticable difference I found was near on full soft and somewhere in the middle, any harder and they handled like rubbish, both on or off the track.

They do only cost 1k though, compromises are expected when you buy cheap stuff.

I've learnt alot from them though, IRT paying more for something that actually works well is definitely worth the outlay, both in performance and comfort.
Sadly, most seem to think there isn’t a compromise at $1000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evomike View Post
oh shit your so awesome, you guys will really get him there that is why i was the one who pointed out that his car was never aligned. good luck dog
You’re*
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tokay444 For This Useful Post:
Turbo (09-03-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 01:06 PM   #45
evomike

Quote:
Sadly, most seem to think there isn’t a compromise at $1000.

You’re*
is there a compromise over a full track coilover absolutely, but the root of OP's problem is changing suspension components and ride height and not aligning the car. I am amazed that he is even able to drive it without any of the nannies coming on constantly.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:40 PM   #46
Tokay444
Anti stance.

A set of BCs, or anything from that same barrel of junk, is nothing but a compromise. They do nothing well.
I can't believe I'm having to debate people on this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tokay444 For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (08-31-2018), Tristor (08-31-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 04:14 PM   #47
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
is there a compromise over a full track coilover absolutely, but the root of OP's problem is changing suspension components and ride height and not aligning the car. I am amazed that he is even able to drive it without any of the nannies coming on constantly.

How is an alignment going to fix a ride so harsh it's giving the OP a headache?

If the car tracks funny, and won't drive straight, then sure it's the alignment, but an alignment isn't going to soften the ride or give it proper dampening.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:24 PM   #48
evomike

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
How is an alignment going to fix a ride so harsh it's giving the OP a headache?

If the car tracks funny, and won't drive straight, then sure it's the alignment, but an alignment isn't going to soften the ride or give it proper dampening.
He fucked up the pre load when installing and never got an alignment, it is bouncy and sketchy to drive because of his installation and lack of alignment. If he took it to a shop had the pre load set correctly and an alignment done OP would probably be completely ok with the coilovers. The fact that this thread is still going and OP hasn’t got an alignment blows my mind.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:47 PM   #49
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
He fucked up the pre load when installing and never got an alignment, it is bouncy and sketchy to drive because of his installation and lack of alignment. If he took it to a shop had the pre load set correctly and an alignment done OP would probably be completely ok with the coilovers. The fact that this thread is still going and OP hasn’t got an alignment blows my mind.
My BC's had "linear?" springs, preload shouldn't effect the ride, to a point, but this wouldn't cause the lack of compliance the OP is talking about, IMO.

To me, valving, shock travel and spring rates are all areas that need attention.

But then I'm no expert and am basing my veiws from past experience on playing with BC's on a MX5.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:36 PM   #50
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
My BC's had "linear?" springs, preload shouldn't effect the ride, to a point, but this wouldn't cause the lack of compliance the OP is talking about, IMO.

To me, valving, shock travel and spring rates are all areas that need attention.

But then I'm no expert and am basing my veiws from past experience on playing with BC's on a MX5.
Go back and re-read what the op had done.
He had thrown the coils on without checking them first.
One of the rear coils had over an extra inch of preload added to it.
(not sure how else to word it)

That's a ridiculous amount of difference on a single corner.
And would definitely make it ride like shit.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:21 AM   #51
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
My new MCA gear turned up

Coils come with swaybar links for front, traction mod cost extra but well worth it
Attached Images

86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
Tokay444 (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 07:52 AM   #52
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
From asking people at track days their replies was look into MCA, with that I've got their Street performance coils and also their traction mod coming to me in the post.

Worth a look, they are in Australia but you can give them a call or message them.

Lots of experience and development have gone into them.

Alot of the quick cars over here are running them in one form or another, lots of options to choose from, they can pick your spring rates or you can chose whatever you feel best suits your needs.

https://mcasuspension.com

I have MCA Reds on my car but would not recommend them on this forum except for in the Australia sub-forum.
Why? Because in the States there a gazillion options running from $200 junk items to 10k+ racing dampers with local support. Yeah, that last part. Local support. Last time I spoke to Josh they still hadn't organised a distributor/service center for MCAs in the States and as I've said before you won't appreciate local service until you need it. I mean seriously, why would anyone in the States want to send their dampers back to Aus to get serviced?

/rant.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
Tokay444 (08-31-2018), Tristor (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 08:18 AM   #53
JSube

Drives: 2017 ISM PP BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakitu View Post
What are some of you guys running around $2000 for suspension setup and are happy with? Looking for something that offers better driving comfort while letting me maintain the favorable 1" gap between fender and tire. Something that's not extremely bouncy. I went super cheap and got BC Racing under $1000. I thought I could pull it off! And now my car is like a fucking boat on water. The headlights rise and dip at night like an oldschool lowrider on hydraulics. Pretty sure people think I am flashing them.

Just for the looks of being lowered, I'd say it's deeefinitely not worth sacrificing driving comfort. Feels like my brain bobbles and levitates which is nauseating, body gets thrown all over the place on the slightest dips in the road, and its even worse with another person in the car. Even a little dangerous to drive because the car makes unpredictable responses in steering when it rolls over something maybe 4" steep. Needless the say, the car is less fun to drive in its current state because of just this 1 issue. I'll never again underestimate the importance of proper suspension setup. I'm actually contemplating going back to the stock struts at this point. This was a mistake and I need to up my suspension game.
OP, if you're still out there (and if you are, congrats on your stamina) you have some good advice from RCE and others to go with springs only. Here are a couple helpful links if you really want to go with affordable, but not rock bottom cheapest, coils. Both are rebuidable. Happy trails...

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...=Tein+CSG+Spec

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ins+road+track
Raceseng Circuit Sphere 100 shifter arm, Radium catch can and master cylinder brace, Perrin oil cooler, Vorshlag front camber plates, ACE A350 header & overpipe, Berk catted front pipe, CSGxMXP exhaust, Delicious NA Stage II tune & Flex Fuel
JSube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JSube For This Useful Post:
Tokay444 (08-31-2018), Turbo (09-03-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 08:46 AM   #54
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Quote:
He fucked up buying such an inferior product. The fact that people can point at anything else blows my mind.
/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tokay444 For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (08-31-2018), Tristor (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 12:28 PM   #55
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Suggestions on suspension upgrade over BC

Quote:
He fucked up buying such an inferior product. The fact that people can point at anything else blows my mind.
/

This. You can buy ST (KW), Tein, H&R, Tokico for the price of BCs and Bilstein PSS9s for $200 more. Why anyone would waste their money on the Chinese knockoff bullshit that is BC is beyond me.

Like I said. Literally buy ANYTHING else.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
Tristor (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 01:14 PM   #56
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
Why anyone would waste their money on the Chinese knockoff bullshit that is BC is beyond me.

Like I said. Literally buy ANYTHING else.

This, I can probably buy some BCs at $400-500 dollar range on alibaba if i order more then 10 sets at once.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote