follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 09-18-2021, 11:59 PM   #421
Kona61

Drives: ‘22 CWP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
I'm still surprised that Toyota even did a 2nd gen when disposable hybrid crossovers are money printers. Getting ready to blow out the candles on the internal combustion cake
Well, it's because of them they can do this.

Toyota already makes: Rav4 Hybrid, Rav4 Prime, Venza, Highlander Hybrid, Sienna Hybrid, NX hybrid, RX hybrid, and I think the new Corolla Cross will eventually come hybrid as well. Literally no segment of CUV has been left open lol.
Kona61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 01:43 AM   #422
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
I mean I like him & his reviews, but ppl are molded by their environment, so is his review. It would be cool if he lives by some cool driving roads instead of flat plains.

You can tell what kind review ppl are gonna give to different cars just base on the kind roads they gonna drive it on. They easily falls into a pattern.
He never used the same pattern for the Miata. His reviews on our cars were biased. At some point he was even blaming them being rust buckets.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114757
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 01:55 AM   #423
Jeonsa
Humble Member

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
He never used the same pattern for the Miata. His reviews on our cars were biased. At some point he was even blaming them being rust buckets.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114757
I mean he replied to you. Lol. Ask him why he’s so critical of the old car, it’s most likely because he owned one and experienced it first hand maybe.
Jeonsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 03:08 AM   #424
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeonsa View Post
I mean he replied to you. Lol. Ask him why he’s so critical of the old car, it’s most likely because he owned one and experienced it first hand maybe.
I drove mine through the winter, daily drove it and got to work on most every corner of it. Plus seeing the evolution of the car over the years and getting to drive everything else. Now coming full circle to the new cars...

I think just seeing the focus of the new cars upgrades and how much of a difference it made is just proof no one on this forum will drive a 1st gen and 2nd gen back to back and say the original car is better. There is basically no arguement to be made.
Old 09-19-2021, 04:52 AM   #425
Dirty Harry

Drives: 2013 BRZ Satin White Pearl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
I can promise you we have the 3 cars on every road and we are one of the first on the planet outside of Toyota employees to have had all on track and street to make this kind of judgement. The new car is great it's just pushing closer to what you get from a 718/Cayman, while the Miata is just that fun quick car that you go out for on a weekend and are happy to put it away to drive the 86 during the week.
Geez that’s a big statement, is it really that good? Sorry I’m a tight arse , when does the review arrive on your YouTube channel? Looking forward to it.
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 07:37 AM   #426
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I owned 2 cars ('15 BRZ, '20 BRZ) and saw the evolution of them over the years too. First year models were more raw with a need of more involvement and they started to refine them afterwards. Saying that 1st gen is better or worse to 2nd generation is subjective. It depends on driver needs and priorities. Same can be said on other models like the S2000 AP1 and AP2. Both of them have the same importance in their model history and kind of evolution.
I guess if slow and cobby make for a great driving experience, the first gen gets the nod.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 07:38 AM   #427
nikitopo

I owned 2 cars ('15 BRZ, '20 BRZ) and saw the evolution of them over the years too. First year models were more raw with a need of more driver involvement and they started to refine them afterwards. Saying that 1st gen is better or worse to 2nd generation is subjective. It depends on customer needs and priorities. Same can be said on other models like the S2000 AP1 and AP2. Both of them have the same importance in their model history and kind of evolution.
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (09-20-2021)
Old 09-19-2021, 07:40 AM   #428
nikitopo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
I guess if slow and cobby make for a great driving experience, the first gen gets the nod.
If you want to go fast, then you need to choose something else.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:11 AM   #429
trippinbillies40

Drives: '22 WRB
Thanked 1,213 Times in 400 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Having owned a '13 FRS since a few months after they came out that evolved over 3 years into a track and autocross car, then a '17 PP BRZ, then another '13 BRZ autocross car...

I can say I totally agree with Savagegeese. I can't think of a single thing that would make me say the early cars were better than the '22. Handling on the new BRZ for street driving was absolutely perfect. Plenty of room for playfulness if that's your thing, but will end up being very solid out on track. It was the interior appointments that really impressed me though. When I got rid of the '17 and went back to a '13, I really missed the slightly updated interior. I'm not sure I agree that the facelift interior was "less raw"... It's just nicer to touch and feel but doesn't disconnect me from having fun. And the '22 is even better. So, way more fun to drive in town and mountain roads, and much nicer to sit in.

The ONLY reasons I could think of someone choosing a gen 1 over gen 2 is if they're buying based on looks alone and they prefer the gen 1, or if they're buying it ONLY to commute in because long highway commutes in a sports car is your thing, ya might miss the couple MPG. Other than those, gen 2 for me F5'ing my order every day waiting for it to get built.

Last edited by trippinbillies40; 09-19-2021 at 08:30 AM.
trippinbillies40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trippinbillies40 For This Useful Post:
Lantanafrs2 (09-19-2021), timurrrr (09-19-2021)
Old 09-19-2021, 08:49 AM   #430
nikitopo

Someone could still buy a first gen, because it has a tested well known engine and could find some good deals on used ones too. It is still a great platform for someone to learn in a classic FR layout, gain driving experiences, grow the driver skills and have plenty of fun. Personally, I wouldn't buy a new generation the first 2-3 years to avoid any kind of smaller or bigger issues that might arise. Especially with the engine which is entirely new, but as I said people can have different needs and priorities.
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
trippinbillies40 (09-19-2021)
Old 09-19-2021, 08:59 AM   #431
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinbillies40 View Post
F5'ing my order every day waiting for it to get built.
Wait you can track the order without a VIN?
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 09:06 AM   #432
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
If you want to go fast, then you need to choose something else.
I would disagree with this. This platform is so amazing when it's supercharged. You know my build journey for both of my cars. I love the car NA with only headers and E85 but I'd supercharge the car again if I knew the rods could handle it pretty good. That's why I'm curious how the more beefed up rods will handle FI.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 09:22 AM   #433
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinbillies40 View Post
Having owned a '13 FRS since a few months after they came out that evolved over 3 years into a track and autocross car, then a '17 PP BRZ, then another '13 BRZ autocross car...

I can say I totally agree with Savagegeese. I can't think of a single thing that would make me say the early cars were better than the '22. Handling on the new BRZ for street driving was absolutely perfect. Plenty of room for playfulness if that's your thing, but will end up being very solid out on track. It was the interior appointments that really impressed me though. When I got rid of the '17 and went back to a '13, I really missed the slightly updated interior. I'm not sure I agree that the facelift interior was "less raw"... It's just nicer to touch and feel but doesn't disconnect me from having fun. And the '22 is even better. So, way more fun to drive in town and mountain roads, and much nicer to sit in.

The ONLY reasons I could think of someone choosing a gen 1 over gen 2 is if they're buying based on looks alone and they prefer the gen 1, or if they're buying it ONLY to commute in because long highway commutes in a sports car is your thing, ya might miss the couple MPG. Other than those, gen 2 for me F5'ing my order every day waiting for it to get built.
I'm not sure I agree with anything until I get to drive it, but I have no reason to doubt any of the reviews that have came out, in particular savagegeese. I mean he has just as much cred as anyone in the 86 forums, he was an early adopter - surely we can understand why he got pissed off at the og. Its not like this is Raiti's Rides or something... bahaha.

I think a few people have called out a slight reduction in the cars steering feel, but that its still top draw... might even put that down to the tires?

Raw is an interesting word, its not like there is bare metal furnishings and exposed running gear. 'Shit' more so comes to my mind when I remember seeing the US version of the FR-S with what looked like early 90s head unit lol. But it was driver focussed. And perhaps had the best steering wheel out of any of the cars ('22 included) just owing to its lack of buttons.

Man I loved that steering wheel, I wish they still did one where they kept all the buttons on the headunit. Pretty sure you can do anything and everything still on the headunits, but might be wrong in the new one.
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blighty For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (09-20-2021), trippinbillies40 (09-19-2021)
Old 09-19-2021, 09:24 AM   #434
Thefalls

Drives: Corolla GT
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Havent been a forced induced Twin yet but for normal driving its more than enough and in the twisties its nicely balanced.

The only thing where it is lacking is straight line acceleration but I didn't buy this car for that and really happy with how it is with some basic mods.

The fact that the new twin could potentially handle boost more reliably ( I am assuming since the rods look beefy enough ) then it makes is even more of an interesting prospect.
Thefalls is offline   Reply With Quote