follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-12-2012, 03:41 AM   #57
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
There's an advantage to waiting for the 2014 MY in that dealers may have 2013 MYs in stock that need to be cleared out sold at or below invoice during those few months of MY overlap (but you wouldn't be able to haggle the '14 MY down as easily). This does not apply to FR-S as it's pure priced.

Also, it will be extremely hard to haggle down a '13 at launch and throughout the year because launch year usually is when demand is greatest for any model run (greatest # of sales happen the 1st year).
Old 02-12-2012, 05:51 AM   #58
Levi

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Why the ZX6 is more special than than MX-5, S2000 and Silvia is just because of its engine. There are no RWD cars with a horizontal enginemountd in front. The 911 is rear, the Cayman is mid-rear and the Subarus are AWD.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:17 AM   #59
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enemies View Post
Wow, 120% import tax, and I thought Canada had high car prices. :P
Asian countries are too crazy about import tax. Some countries have 300% import tax. In those countries, some people are forced to own older cars( dues to import tax) and only a few rich people own new cars.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:33 AM   #60
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuveKetchup View Post
^ What does that mean? "built around the boxer engine"

There is nothing ground breaking about this car. What I do find special about the FRS/BRZ is that it's a driver's car in this age of big, heavy, & high horsepower cars.
Nothing ground breaking? Guess you have high standards. How about Ferrari level of COG that one can afford for low $20k. That is ground breaking to me.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #61
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
and i dont think the boxer motor makes this car special in any way
Troll much. Try to place a transversely mounted inline 4 as low and far back as the FA20. It ain't gonna happen.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #62
Kage

Drives: 2000 Celica Gts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Kage
I should finnish college fall 2013, so when I get my tax refund in early 2014 I'm buying the car. That and March 2014 I turn 25 so my insurance will DROP! So this will be a Graduation present / B-day present to myself.

This couldn't possibly have been said better!
Hope you don't mind me stealing part of it for my sig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
Honestly, I'm a purist so I'm going to trust something that's right out of the factory and is tested with a good warranty. Than what stuff I can do to it, maybe it's because I got older and the mod bug in me is gone. I only want to do very few subtle things to my car, I'm a pragmatic person and I have other things I need to worry about. Doesn't mean I'm not a car guy and won't participate in club activities, I care first and foremost about what my needs are in the car and not to get "Props" from people.

I'm not ricing it out for attention, I'm not flushing it to join a culture, I'm not keeping it stock for resale. I'm making this car for me and me only. And if you're my friend and club members that know me they'll respect that and respect is much better than props.

I'm not saying your way is wrong, this car is made for everyone in every aspect. there is no single way of going about it. As long as you make the Car for you.. the driver, the owner. Because that's why they made this in the first place.

I'm probably speaking for a number of people when I say we're not getting the first years because we don't want to rush right into it, we want a database to work with and some sort of experience from the aftermarket, the manufacturer, and the enthusiast.

So I have alot of respect for the people who are getting the first year, you guys are the pioneers for something great. Thanks!
I care first and foremost about what my needs are in the car and not to get "Props" from people. I'm not ricing it out for attention, I'm not flushing it to join a culture, I'm not keeping it stock for resale. I'm making this car for me and me only. And if you're my friend and club members that know me they'll respect that and respect is much better than props.
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #63
jor8888

Drives: sad
going to wait 2nd year model, 1st year always have all kinds of problem and missing tons of addons.
jor8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #64
maxeveland

Drives: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMs|a|MILLION View Post
fixed
lol the forums are where I go to check the reviews
maxeveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:28 PM   #65
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
Troll much. Try to place a transversely mounted inline 4 as low and far back as the FA20. It ain't gonna happen.
+1

the boxer motor is what makes this car so special
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #66
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuveKetchup View Post
Why get the 2014/15 ? I heard the 2016 will better. Or you can wait for the much improved 2017. Or...

I think this quote makes a point very well. There will always be something newer, something hotter, something faster, lighter, cheaper, harder, longer, better.

The old way of waiting for the 1st model year bugs to be ironed out is typically a non-issue in the past generation or two of most OEMs manufacturing. The durability testing regiment is extreme and thorough; there's no reason to think there'll suddenly be problems when Subaru/Toyota have been testing prototype mules for 2+ years now, and doing small pre-production runs on the assembly line for 6+ months now.

You can rest assured they've already ironed out the vast majority, if not all of the bugs. This isn't the 1990's any more, let alone the 1960's when they barely did any durability and assembly testing compared to now. Design and production quality has improved exponentially.

Long story short, if you want the car, buy it and enjoy it.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #67
PACMAN

Drives: 2003 Shitfire (Sunfire)
I want this car now!!!! But am worried about the first year problems it potentially could have.

I'm a sissy
Old 02-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #68
PR0PH37

Drives: 1997 Toyota Celica
Quote:
Originally Posted by tachi1247 View Post
I will probably wait a year or so as there are always problems with new cars no matter who builds them. A brand new chasis with a brand new engine and a new suspension means some improvements will be made for subsequent years. Plus, I still believe a turbo version of the brz will be available in cy 2014 probably as an sti version.
Ditto. I've bought on release before and have been burnt time and time again. I WILL wait, no matter how much I want it right now!
PR0PH37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #69
PR0PH37

Drives: 1997 Toyota Celica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post

I think this quote makes a point very well. There will always be something newer, something hotter, something faster, lighter, cheaper, harder, longer, better.

The old way of waiting for the 1st model year bugs to be ironed out is typically a non-issue in the past generation or two of most OEMs manufacturing. The durability testing regiment is extreme and thorough; there's no reason to think there'll suddenly be problems when Subaru/Toyota have been testing prototype mules for 2+ years now, and doing small pre-production runs on the assembly line for 6+ months now.

You can rest assured they've already ironed out the vast majority, if not all of the bugs. This isn't the 1990's any more, let alone the 1960's when they barely did any durability and assembly testing compared to now. Design and production quality has improved exponentially.

Long story short, if you want the car, buy it and enjoy it.
The 7th gen Celica had a lot of issues that had to be ironed out. It took them 3 or 4 years to get the engine problems under control. I will wait.
PR0PH37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #70
delongedoug
Banned

Drives: 2.5 RS daily, Evo 8 track
Waiting a year for sure.
delongedoug is offline   Reply With Quote