follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
EAGLE5, finch1750, go_a_way1, iManage, KR-S, MisterSheep, Tcoat, Ultramaroon

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 01:22 PM   #26223
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
So every oil cooler I've seen is about twice as wide as it is tall. I've only seen them mounted horizontally. Any reason they couldn't be mounted vertically?
The internet tells me that the fittings are on top to allow air to escape the cooler, so people suggest if you mount it sideways, have the inlet at the bottom and the outlet at the top. Upside-down is a no-go because air would be trapped in the cooler.
The Following User Says Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 01:34 PM   #26224
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,051 Times in 8,326 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
To me that's not cool. Feels racist. I had a feeling but was hopeful I was wrong.

I'm not going to use that term anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It goes back well before that movie and started out as extremely racist. It was part of the dehumanization of the enemy back in WW2. It is a proven fact that soldier can be much more effective when they do not think of the enemy as actual people. Anything and everything that could be used to make the Japanese (and Germans to a lesser extent) less human was pushed to the extreme. This included the way English was spoken, the difference in facial features/average body size and cultural beliefs or practices. This was not incidental racism but a carefully planned and executed process. Go look at a Wonder Woman comic from the 40s. Since she primarily fought in the Pacific (Captain America had Europe under control) you will see some spectacular racist depictions of the Japanese. This sort of dehumanization of the enemy still occurs today but it is just a lot more subtle and not as overt.

The part of the movie that ichi cited is sort of a nod to the era in which it was set since much of the US population was still in that mindset.

The use of the word today could be construed as racist in it's source but it has evolved to be more of a descriptor than a slur. I personally will not jump on the "that's racist" bandwagon since it is used in good faith by most and I believe more in recognizing and celebrating the differences of race and culture than trying to bury them and pretend there aren't any.
Interesting history. Good read

I was going to reply bout a wonder women comic. I have a front page said "Superman said it's okay to slap a Jap". It made me laugh at the same time, that comic was made in WW2, so made sense that they try to make that kind of thing. Crazy history
Old 01-27-2017, 01:36 PM   #26225
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
The internet tells me that the fittings are on top to allow air to escape the cooler, so people suggest if you mount it sideways, have the inlet at the bottom and the outlet at the top. Upside-down is a no-go because air would be trapped in the cooler.
Good info. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
This would be my first choice. Not a ton more money and helps with both engine and oil temps.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104943
I didn't know this even existed but isn't it twice as thick as the stock radiator? I'm looking at a turbo that comes with slim fans so I'm betting a thicker radiator is a no go
Old 01-27-2017, 01:40 PM   #26226
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
This is how I understand "Engrish".
Due to he famous movie "Christmas Story", a lot of Murican thinks that Asian can't say "Falalalala", but instead "Farararara". Result the term "Engrish" came along.
See Mitsubishi never got the Starion name wrong despite what Clarkson said.
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
ichitaka05 (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 01:45 PM   #26227
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

I was going to reply bout a wonder women comic. I have a front page said "Superman said it's okay to slap a Jap". It made me laugh at the same time, that comic was made in WW2, so made sense that they try to make that kind of thing. Crazy history
And dont forget WarnerBros on Looney Tunes
Old 01-27-2017, 01:45 PM   #26228
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
It goes back well before that movie and started out as extremely racist. It was part of the dehumanization of the enemy back in WW2. It is a proven fact that soldier can be much more effective when they do not think of the enemy as actual people. Anything and everything that could be used to make the Japanese (and Germans to a lesser extent) less human was pushed to the extreme. This included the way English was spoken, the difference in facial features/average body size and cultural beliefs or practices. This was not incidental racism but a carefully planned and executed process. Go look at a Wonder Woman comic from the 40s. Since she primarily fought in the Pacific (Captain America had Europe under control) you will see some spectacular racist depictions of the Japanese. This sort of dehumanization of the enemy still occurs today but it is just a lot more subtle and not as overt.

The part of the movie that ichi cited is sort of a nod to the era in which it was set since much of the US population was still in that mindset.

The use of the word today could be construed as racist in it's source but it has evolved to be more of a descriptor than a slur. I personally will not jump on the "that's racist" bandwagon since it is used in good faith by most and I believe more in recognizing and celebrating the differences of race and culture than trying to bury them and pretend there aren't any.
For our people it went back even further.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_issues_in_China

The ethnic slur section was a good read for me, Cantonese is littered with a ton of racial slurs and my generation is too young to even know how most terms originated.
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 01:46 PM   #26229
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
I didn't know this even existed but isn't it twice as thick as the stock radiator? I'm looking at a turbo that comes with slim fans so I'm betting a thicker radiator is a no go
I believe it's 31mm, IIRC.

It fits with this turbo kit. It may fit with others.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=67
Old 01-27-2017, 01:48 PM   #26230
Ashikabi

Next question. Turbo dump pipes for the waste gate... This is only open at "max" boost right? Waste gate his a certain exhaust pressure then opens to regulate pressure to my knowledge. So if it was open, say vented thru the hood or the belly pan, it should make crazy growly noises at high revs right?
Old 01-27-2017, 01:49 PM   #26231
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
I personally will not jump on the "that's racist" bandwagon since it is used in good faith by most and I believe more in recognizing and celebrating the differences of race and culture than trying to bury them and pretend there aren't any.
To be clear, I am of exactly the same mindset. Still, I'm not going to use the term "*****" to celebrate diversity. I'm not judging, just not comfortable.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:53 PM   #26232
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Even if it is censored
Old 01-27-2017, 01:57 PM   #26233
Ashikabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
I believe it's 31mm, IIRC.

It fits with this turbo kit. It may fit with others.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=67
That would be the most problematic setup. I'm looking at JDL so it's in a similar place. I already have a Koyo Radiator so it would be tough for me to justify 900$. It's an option though. Thanks for informing me
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 01:57 PM   #26234
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
For our people it went back even further.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_issues_in_China

The ethnic slur section was a good read for me, Cantonese is littered with a ton of racial slurs and my generation is too young to even know how most terms originated.
Racism is ubiquitous. It stems from the deepest animal pack-mentality parts of our brains.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:07 PM   #26235
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,051 Times in 8,326 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
And dont forget WarnerBros on Looney Tunes
Have no clue on that one. What they do?
Old 01-27-2017, 02:17 PM   #26236
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

It is nuts but things were different then. Now it is easy to be exposed to different cultures and people but back then (even into the 1970s) you would have to actively go looking for info and even that would be skewed by public opinion and misconception.

No doubt the Japanese did the same to the Americans. You should be well aware of the mass civilian suicides when the US invaded Okinawa. Much of that was due to the things they were told that the Americans would do to them if they were to take over.

Racist now. Propaganda then:

Both sides:

Although Japan did try a different tactic as well:

Tags
aching balls, ass or gtfo, germanystrikesback, guff approved, human resources, i don't wanna go to prom, i lurk, i participated, i read this thread, i'm so gay, ichi has crabs, ichi is in denial, imanage can't manage, in god we thrust, me worry?, member berries, never forget, no politics, nothing for you!!!, nsfp, omg i can't catch up! :(, poo on my chest, post #696 review on ichi, sapphireho sucks!, specialk watches you post, special_k is a lurker, tcoat is as tcoat does, tcoat is dead, tcoat is jesus, tcoat is risen, tcoat returns, tcoat rules, tig ol bitties, tits or gtfo, trackmyfarts, tylerlieberman is a cuck, wubba lubba dub dubs!!!, y u do dis