follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 07-31-2014, 10:29 AM   #71
meeskee2

Drives: World Rally Blue BRZ Limited, MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Here is a picture of the top edge of my windshield. Looks like 2 layers of glass to me.
Attached Images

"Some guys think that having a better car makes them better than other guys, and those guys are right." -Top Gear
meeskee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:40 AM   #72
mikalem

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeskee2 View Post
Here is a picture of the top edge of my windshield. Looks like 2 layers of glass to me.
Do you have a picture of the windshield "bug"? It's the lettering etched into the glass, it will be in the bottom of the windshield on the driver's side. The factory glass should be AGC AUTOMOTIVE (DOT 20, which is the Japanese plant).

Another possibility is that it says APTech - AGC Automotive and Safelite have an agreement to make glass to their spec, but it's produced here in the United States (In Enfield, NC if someone is really curious) - when this is the case the APTech logo is used, and I believe the DOT is 1005. If it's something else, post a picture and I can see about getting more info.

I'm betting they used AP Tech glass in the car, it's what we have a lot of in stock - I know we don't stock the Japanese AGC AUTOMOTIVE branded glass - it's a dealer order part and more expensive to get. (AP Tech is also what I opted for, after finding out about the agreement between Safelite and AGC - otherwise I would have opted for the dealer part)
mikalem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikalem For This Useful Post:
meeskee2 (07-31-2014)
Old 07-31-2014, 10:43 AM   #73
mikalem

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeskee2 View Post
Also, the glass is actually 3 layers - a inner and out pure glass piece, then sandwiched in-between is a printable area where they put the black polka dot like outline and the tinting (known as the 3rd visor frit).
mikalem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikalem For This Useful Post:
meeskee2 (07-31-2014)
Old 07-31-2014, 10:52 AM   #74
meeskee2

Drives: World Rally Blue BRZ Limited, MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Thanks for all the information @mikalem, I will get a pic of the label in a bit.

"Some guys think that having a better car makes them better than other guys, and those guys are right." -Top Gear
meeskee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:46 PM   #75
Vino
3stars & a sun

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Bump this thred from the dead

I was suprise that theres a lot of cases of our windshield being a problem, so I contact scion rep and It seems like nobody report for it, thats why I filled a case to get their attention.

So any of you had the same experience contact scion and address the issue that we had
By the way heres the reference nos 1410312117

Heres some several threads:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=318576
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1845348
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1855464

I hope you contact scion rep to address the issue

Reference # 1410312117
Vino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:28 PM   #76
Dboe

Drives: 2013 Red FRS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Anything ever come out of this case file?
Ive had to replace my windshield twice in 3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vino View Post
Bump this thred from the dead

I was suprise that theres a lot of cases of our windshield being a problem, so I contact scion rep and It seems like nobody report for it, thats why I filled a case to get their attention.

So any of you had the same experience contact scion and address the issue that we had
By the way heres the reference nos 1410312117

Heres some several threads:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=318576
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1845348
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1855464

I hope you contact scion rep to address the issue

Reference # 1410312117
Dboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:45 PM   #77
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dboe View Post
Anything ever come out of this case file?
Ive had to replace my windshield twice in 3 years.
Don't know but will guess that it went no place at all. Wind shields in North America are highly regulated under safety standards. These would have had to pass all those standards and can not be inferior in any way. Toyota/Subaru are not going to do anything about a part that has to meet such heavy requirements.
Broken wind shields go with the territory when driving low cars. I have been lucky in that although I have been hit by hundreds of things (some looked like the Deathstar as they approached at high velocity) I haven't even received a chip much less a crack. My old Talon had gone through 3 by now.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:50 PM   #78
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Any problems or issues with the Safelite glass installed on their car? I need a windshield and want to get an idea of the quality of the Safelite glass. OEM glass is $325 before labor.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:02 AM   #79
Ramn

Drives: 2015 GTI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
Any problems or issues with the Safelite glass installed on their car? I need a windshield and want to get an idea of the quality of the Safelite glass. OEM glass is $325 before labor.
I just got the OEM tinted windshield replaced in about 40 minutes. Guy was professional and I'm definitely going there again in the future
Ramn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ramn For This Useful Post:
stevesnj (08-28-2017), Tonezorz (05-15-2018)
Old 01-30-2019, 01:40 PM   #80
Trueweltall

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikalem View Post
Unfortunately I don't have experience with the OEE version of our windshield - when I originally posted all of that a OEE version didn't exist as far as I knew (we didn't have it listed in our system). I looked again today and there is now a record of both OEM and OEE parts listed in our system so they are out there.

Personally, I'd always use/request the OEM part just because I'm a bit anal like that - the reason so many people have problems I believe has more to do with the rake of the glass and the height of the car, more than the relative "strength" of the glass. If I did get a chip however and didn't want to replace the whole thing right away I'd definitely look into a repair - the resins are designed to repair the bonds in the glass, saving the strength. Without it, if you live in a place with temperature swings you will likely see spidering and a full crack will likely develop.

For reference if anyone cares to look them up, here are the NAGS part numbers for the various pieces of glass on the car (glass shops should be able to lookup by these numbers) - these apply to the 2013 model BRZ/FR-S specifically, but I doubt they changed with the 2014s.

Part - Description
Windshield (GG and GT are color codes for the tint)
FW03591 GGN Solar W/Third Visor Frit
FW03591 GTN Solar W/Third Visor Frit

Vent
FV25583 GTN Solar RIGHT FRONT
FV25584 GTN Solar LEFT FRONT

Door
FD25585 GTN Solar RIGHT FRONT
FD25586 GTN Solar LEFT FRONT

Quarter (rear)
FQ25587 GTY Solar RIGHT ENCAP
FQ25588 GTY Solar LEFT ENCAP

Back
FB25589 GTN Heated Solar

HTH!
I know this post is old but I have a question. I had two options when replacing my windshield.

Windshield - Green Tint, Green Shade
Windshield - Green Tint

I received part #FW03591 GTN FYG, there doesn't seem to be that green/blue shade at the top of the windshield anymore. Did I receive the wrong windshield?

Edit: I did in fact receive the wrong windshield, they are replacing it with the correct one in a week. So if you want the tint that comes down to the as1 line you need "FW03591 GGNN". My original invoice states this and they installed the wrong one anyway?! Who the fuck doesn't check part numbers before trying to install something worth several hundred dollars?

Last edited by Trueweltall; 01-30-2019 at 02:41 PM.
Trueweltall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:38 PM   #81
Spacemane969

Drives: 2013 ARGENTO A/T
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
On the topic does anyone else have thousands of microdots from small sand/road debris? This accumulated within months of me buying the car. I'm hoping that I can get insurance to flex because honestly it's kinda hard to see with light refraction. Also it shreds my wiper blades leading to smearing instead of wiping properly.
Spacemane969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:34 PM   #82
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemane969 View Post
On the topic does anyone else have thousands of microdots from small sand/road debris? This accumulated within months of me buying the car. I'm hoping that I can get insurance to flex because honestly it's kinda hard to see with light refraction. Also it shreds my wiper blades leading to smearing instead of wiping properly.
Millions.
Insurance won't cover that since it is just normal wear and tear. It has to be broken in a manner that can not be repaired before most insurance companies will even touch it.
The joys of owning a low car with a sloping hood that doesn't defect the bulk of the flying sand.
Spacemane969 (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 04:12 AM   #83
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,064 Times in 773 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quote:

Do microdots really wear wiper blades so much? i mean, they are very small holes, not bumps, maybe you should try to clay your windshield if it destroys your blades so much
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:53 PM   #84
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
On the topic does anyone else have thousands of microdots from small sand/road debris? This accumulated within months of me buying the car.
Yes, not so much dots as light scratches. Noticed them driving my car new off the lot so I've always attributed it to the quality of a windshield that comes with a $25k car.
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote