follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 11-18-2019, 05:55 PM   #15
korhun
Database error

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 1,657 Times in 614 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm not too tall (1.84cm) but I'm not very comfortable in this car. Because I like the steering wheel closer to me (not too close, just enough close to control it better) and the steering wheel does not extend much. If it could extend 5cm more, and a little bit higher, it would make a huge difference to me. A lower seat would also be fine, but I'd prefer an extended steering wheel. I'm not saying you are wrong, this is just what I feel about my car.
korhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 06:09 PM   #16
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by i8ur911 View Post
I wouldn't say that stock belts will "barely do anything". The pre-tensioners and force limiters will still operate as designed. The difference is how they both work in conjunction with the stock seat.

The fact that you mention a harness bar scares me. I would NEVER recommend a harness bar. The ONLY time harnesses should be used is with proper fixed back seats and a roll bar....or proper roll cage. The last thing you want is to be strapped in to a fixed back seat in a rollover. Harness bar FAIL.

Either way you're taking a risk, a fixed back seat does not belong in a car without a harness and half cage (that's what I meant with a harness bar, on a half cage) at the bare minimum. You're gambling your life in a roll over and risk serious injury with whiplash in a front/rear end collision. The stock seat belt just will not do.
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 06:38 PM   #17
arkanist

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited, Stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay88 View Post
Either way you're taking a risk, a fixed back seat does not belong in a car without a harness and half cage (that's what I meant with a harness bar, on a half cage) at the bare minimum. You're gambling your life in a roll over and risk serious injury with whiplash in a front/rear end collision. The stock seat belt just will not do.
I would love to hear your reasoning for increased wiplash in a front/rear end collision. The safety issues as far as I can tell are simply A. the lower belt sits a little too high, fixable with a cushion or running the belt through the side hole potentially, B. removal of the airbag in the stock seat, obviously this is not good for side impacts. There is a third change but I am mixed on the safety implications. Obviously a bucket seat can't fold so in the event of a roll over or anything intruding through the roof it wont collapse like a stock seat. Unlike a stock seat though I will have 3" between my head and the roof which means something would have to intrude further before it would contact me. Furthermore since I am not running a 5 point harness I am not tied to the seat entirely so in the event of a roll over i can collapse forward still.

All that aside I plan to talk to the same shop I bought the seat from about a roll / harness bar once tax returns come around. A full cage is not an option for a few more years so hopefully they can do something we can build off of down the road.
arkanist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:28 PM   #18
i8ur911

Drives: 17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I don't disagree for a second. I'm not stating that what the OP has done is safe. It's simply good to know that taller/bigger guys can get the proper amount of headroom if needed.

I would never suggest or recommend that anyone install a fixed back seat, a harness or a full roll cage independently. They all need to work as a unit.......and ideally not on the street.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
i8ur911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:24 AM   #19
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkanist View Post
I would love to hear your reasoning for increased wiplash in a front/rear end collision. The safety issues as far as I can tell are simply A. the lower belt sits a little too high, fixable with a cushion or running the belt through the side hole potentially, B. removal of the airbag in the stock seat, obviously this is not good for side impacts. There is a third change but I am mixed on the safety implications. Obviously a bucket seat can't fold so in the event of a roll over or anything intruding through the roof it wont collapse like a stock seat. Unlike a stock seat though I will have 3" between my head and the roof which means something would have to intrude further before it would contact me. Furthermore since I am not running a 5 point harness I am not tied to the seat entirely so in the event of a roll over i can collapse forward still.

All that aside I plan to talk to the same shop I bought the seat from about a roll / harness bar once tax returns come around. A full cage is not an option for a few more years so hopefully they can do something we can build off of down the road.
Stock seats are designed to collapse (backwards) incase of a rollover, all you're going to do is fold in like a suitcase.
Head restraints, active or passive are designed in such a matter that they reduce whiplash. Hence the awkward looking angles on modern cars. You don't get that on fixed buckets, hence necessitating a harness used in conjunction with a Hans device to minimize whiplash.

Very basic explanation:
https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/ho...nting-whiplash

I'm not telling you guys what to do, you're adults and by the sounds of it, already "mostly" aware of the risks of running fixed buckets on the street with "a la carte" safety accouterments. But I think it would be unwise for the uneducated who may be coming to this forum for help or in similar situations to be unaware of the risks, and even worse, misinformed.
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RayRay88 For This Useful Post:
arkanist (11-19-2019), i8ur911 (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 01:58 AM   #20
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,518 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Damn. Now I have to consider the safety implications.

Still it looks like I'm heading up to Kirkland this weekend.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:25 AM   #21
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I just removed the headliner and zip tied the wires to the handy bar at the front. Lots more clearance and a slight weight loss to boot.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to why? For This Useful Post:
arkanist (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 12:36 PM   #22
arkanist

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited, Stock
Quote:
Stock seats are designed to collapse (backwards) incase of a rollover, all you're going to do is fold in like a suitcase.
Head restraints, active or passive are designed in such a matter that they reduce whiplash. Hence the awkward looking angles on modern cars. You don't get that on fixed buckets, hence necessitating a harness used in conjunction with a Hans device to minimize whiplash.

Very basic explanation:
https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/ho...nting-whiplash

I'm not telling you guys what to do, you're adults and by the sounds of it, already "mostly" aware of the risks of running fixed buckets on the street with "a la carte" safety accouterments. But I think it would be unwise for the uneducated who may be coming to this forum for help or in similar situations to be unaware of the risks, and even worse, misinformed.
Thanks for the article and response. It sounds like it is largely related to where the head rest sits (which makes sense since it is supposed to accommodate a helmet. I wonder if extending the headrest forward with a bit of foam could help minimize that particular risk. I was planning on adding some anyway since the top of the seat has minimal padding between my head and the seats frame.
arkanist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to arkanist For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (11-19-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 12:44 PM   #23
ka-titties

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I did something very similar to this. I'm 6'3" with a 36" waist. I use an OMP HTE-R+ with solid mounted Planted base/side mounts. With that, I use a Schroth Rallye 3 harness.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 11:19 PM   #24
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
As safe as a roll cage is, is it really safe for street use?

What if you get rear ended by a truck? Is it true that the cage will then disconnect from its welds and crush you?
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 06:42 AM   #25
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I guess, for proper cage not only tube diameter/material is regulated, but also attachment points and their strength, taking into account your concerns. Be it bolt-on roll cage or welded one.
Issue of roll cage is that you are not wearing helmet on public roads, thus can kill yourself with hitting head against cage. I doubt that some softer padding on cage will help/solve that, only will help on some low speed/force accidental touches/hits. I doubt that death from not being crushed but with skull split open is more fun.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 02:18 PM   #26
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,518 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
I guess, for proper cage not only tube diameter/material is regulated, but also attachment points and their strength, taking into account your concerns. Be it bolt-on roll cage or welded one.
Issue of roll cage is that you are not wearing helmet on public roads, thus can kill yourself with hitting head against cage. I doubt that some softer padding on cage will help/solve that, only will help on some low speed/force accidental touches/hits. I doubt that death from not being crushed but with skull split open is more fun.
I've also heard the argument that a cage can hamper extraction if emergency response is involved. Seems legit.

No shopping trip for me this weekend.

Old 11-26-2019, 12:56 PM   #27
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
When you put seats in, I know there's a few wires under the seat that you can't plug back in. Does the car beep/chine without those plugged in?
HaXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 05:13 PM   #28
ka-titties

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post
When you put seats in, I know there's a few wires under the seat that you can't plug back in. Does the car beep/chine without those plugged in?
You'll need to put a resistor in the airbag harness plug or you'll get an airbag light.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aftermarket seat, big and tall, bucket seat, clear helmet, head room