follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 01-27-2019, 11:52 AM   #1
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,473 Times in 770 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
2018+ Navigation in a 2017

Finally got the 2018 navigation radio working in my 2017 Yellow. Although I hear there are a lot of complaints of this navigation receiver it is 100% better than the 2017 radio. If you were to go buy all the parts new you would be looking around $2,800. Plus you are not able to buy the connectors. Subaru sells the entire harness not just the connector and pins. As the 2018+ with navigation become older and more of them are totaled this option could become an inexpensive way to upgrade. Few people look to buy a stock radio so junk yards usually sell them inexpensive.

This should work for 2016, 2017 and 2018+ premium models.

Benefits of this route.
Retains stock look. This is important to me. I like to modify my car but try to keep it from looking that way.
Inexpensive, If you can find a totaled one close to you.
Easy modification.

Cons of this route.
Will not be as functional as an aftermarket option.

First thing to do is to find a donor car that they will let you cut the wire harness. Items you will need listed below.
Navigation receiver.
Plastic trim that goes around the radio.
USB jacks and wire harness that it is attached to.
Aux unit assembly. This is a small black box attached to the bottom of radio.
GPS antenna. This is mounted just above the radio to the left.
Steering wheel controls.
You will want all the plugs that plug into the receiver. I would cut them with as much wire as possible.
You will also want to look at the microphone assembly and the possibility of changing this out. I was unable to do that however the receiver will work with the older one without modifications.

MIC wire diagram

Steering wheel wire diagram

The next step is to remove those items from your car.
Items to install without modification.
Steering wheel controls.
USB plugs and wire harness.
GPS antenna.

Modifications to the wire harness.
Aux unit assembly will need power and ground.
Power will go to pin 5. I pulled this from pin 3 from the 28 pin connector.
Ground will go to pin 1. I just made a short lead and grounded to the radio chassis.

Aux unit wire diagram

Rear view camera will need to be moved from the 28 pin connector to the 5 pin connector.
Pin 12 will go to pin 3.
Pin 11 will go to pin 2.
Pin 20 will go to pin 1.
Pin 13 will go to pin 4.

Rear camera wire diagram

Amplifier remote on.
You will need to move Pin 9 from the 28 pin connector to pin 8 of the 10 pin connector.

AMP remote on wire diagram

On the new receiver it shows an Ignition circuit going to pin 1 of the 28 pin connector. I have tried this connected and unconnected and not sure what this changes.

On the new receiver there is a ground supplied when the door is opened. This is on pin 4 of the smaller 12 pin connector. This is for retained accessory. I have not hooked this up the radio will run for around 2 min after you shut off the car. Not positive I will ever install this.

The microphone assembly on the 2018+ appears to be better quality. It has 2 microphones built in. I did not have a close donor car and was unable to see if changing this out was an option. However the 2017 microphone works with no changes.

I would show you pictures of the modified wire harness only I purchased the radio from a junkyard in Houston. Once I got the radio I was unable to talk them into getting my any other components so I ended up buying parts new and had to hack the wires into the new connectors. I will keep an eye out here in Dallas for one and see if they will let me come and get the connectors then I will be able to modify it so it looks a lot better. (Yes I worry about how something looks that no one else will ever see)

If someone gets to a new one and sees anything else let me know. I will update this.

Connector list

Last edited by Grady; 01-30-2019 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Adding Links
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
Busybee (08-20-2019), mkodama (09-19-2019), solidsnake11 (11-06-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 11:52 AM   #2
Grady

Garage

Last edited by Grady; 01-27-2019 at 12:43 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
Busybee (08-20-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 05:17 PM   #3
gt86registry.com

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Grady,

This is some amazing work! I'm wondering if the 2018 unit would fit and operate in a GPS equipt 2014 model.. any thoughts?
gt86registry.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:41 AM   #4
Goingnowherefast

Drives: AP2 S2000, 91 Miata 1.8L Rotrex 5MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Just wondering, would there be interest if I created and sold a plug and play patch harness for this radio upgrade? I have already pulled the wiring diagrams from Subaru and Toyota and have found the connector supplier.

Would anyone have any interest in that?
Old 09-17-2019, 10:55 AM   #5
Grady

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt86registry.com View Post
Grady,

This is some amazing work! I'm wondering if the 2018 unit would fit and operate in a GPS equipt 2014 model.. any thoughts?
Yes it would work. You will just need to look at the 2014 wire diagram to verify pin assignments.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:57 AM   #6
Grady

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingnowherefast View Post
Just wondering, would there be interest if I created and sold a plug and play patch harness for this radio upgrade? I have already pulled the wiring diagrams from Subaru and Toyota and have found the connector supplier.

Would anyone have any interest in that?
Where did you find the plugs and pins?
Old 01-13-2020, 02:36 PM   #7
dude_inthemoon

Drives: '17 BRZ PP Crystal Black Silica
do you have an idea of how a 86 TRD edition's steering wheel controls will be wiring-wise (would it be 17' or 18' wiring)? Those are pretty readily available.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:57 PM   #8
Ricco

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Working on this same project myself now.

Your post and attached wiring notes helped me learn how to better read automotive wiring diagrams.. I was pretty clueless before. Anyhow, I managed to validate what I have against your work and wanted to share photos of the 2018 pigtails, annotated with the wire functions.

I need to grab a depinning tool so I can move the 7 relevant wires.. Any recommendations on a tool?

Ricco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:31 AM   #9
Grady

Garage
Thanks for the post. Mine has been working fine but now that I see your pigtails it makes me want to start searching again for a totaled one I can cut the harness out of.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:30 PM   #10
Ricco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
Thanks for the post. Mine has been working fine but now that I see your pigtails it makes me want to start searching again for a totaled one I can cut the harness out of.
No worries.. Honestly, I think the only ones I will use will be the one to power the black box (which I assume is for Carplay), and the one for the backup camera.

I haven't been able to depin the backup camera connector on the pigtail, so I'll probably end up cutting and splicing into the harness in the car anyway.

How did you power up the black box and do the backup cam without those connectors?
Old 01-26-2020, 06:40 PM   #11
Grady

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco View Post
How did you power up the black box and do the backup cam without those connectors?

Had some small connectors that fit the pins. used heat shrink to insulate them then just pushed them on the pins.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
Ricco (01-26-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 08:01 PM   #12
Ricco

So I finally did my wiring tonight.. The good news is that the Amp now turns on and Carplay works great!

The bad news is that my backup camera still doesn't work. When I throw it into Reverse, absolutely nothing happens.. It's like as if the reverse light isn't even detected. I would expect to maybe get a blank screen or something if it was the camera was just wired wrong. I've checked and double checked the wiring and I'm confident I wired the camera correctly and the reverse wire is on Pin 2 of the 28 pin connector. My car is auto, but from what I can tell, that shouldn't make a difference.

My next step is to check I'm getting 12v on Pin 2 when I put it in reverse but I dont have a multimeter with me so I'm stuck for the time being..

Any thoughts?
Old 01-28-2020, 09:45 PM   #13
Grady

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco View Post
So I finally did my wiring tonight.. The good news is that the Amp now turns on and Carplay works great!

The bad news is that my backup camera still doesn't work. When I throw it into Reverse, absolutely nothing happens.. It's like as if the reverse light isn't even detected. I would expect to maybe get a blank screen or something if it was the camera was just wired wrong. I've checked and double checked the wiring and I'm confident I wired the camera correctly and the reverse wire is on Pin 2 of the 28 pin connector. My car is auto, but from what I can tell, that shouldn't make a difference.

My next step is to check I'm getting 12v on Pin 2 when I put it in reverse but I dont have a multimeter with me so I'm stuck for the time being..

Any thoughts?

I would check the fuse if you have not already. The backup connector/pin does not change between the radios.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:38 PM   #14
Ricco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
I would check the fuse if you have not already. The backup connector/pin does not change between the radios.
I looked over the wiring diagrams again and beginning to wonder if I wired it correctly after all.

I matched up, black to black, red to red, white to white, shield to yellow.. but i'm now wondering if I should have switched the black and white wires.

CA+ 6v GND CA-
Black White Red Shield

2016 (as far as I can tell)

CA+ V+ CGND V-
White Black Red Shield

Checking fuses is always a good idea but I can't see how there could be a blown fuse since the Camera is powered directly from the head unit.

I'll check them anyway, but what are your thoughts on these pinouts?