follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
NikostC
JDM Enthusiast

Drives: Scion tC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Do you think there will be a second generation FRS?

Just as the topic name suggests, do you think the FRS/ BRZ twins will have a second generation. I know Toyota will try to update the car each year to keep interest in the car, but considering how almost all sports cars have been axed: Honda S2000, Nissan 240sx, Mazda RX-8, Acura NSX, Toyota Supra, Toyota MR-2, Toyota Celica GT-S.. Which was similar to the FRS because Yamaha worked with them on the engine and it and it only weighed 2500lbs ... I seriously doubt it but if they do, I dont see them doing anything to the engine as they have already put loads of money into R&D for this thing.
Discuss I'd like to see what you guys have to say.
NikostC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
5hairpins

Drives: 2013 MT Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
All depends on how well the first gen sells. If after 2 years they are sitting on the lot, then probably not. If they keep selling as soon as they hit the lot, then for sure.
5hairpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
Mari0
Car Enthusiast

Drives: tC 05 & 07, Rav4
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Pretty sure even they don't know since they have to see how the sales go and if there is enough of an interest of buyers. As far as the yearly updates, they will be small things. I remember in an interview with the Australian fans it was mentioned that all the modifications they will make for the car will be applicable to the older cars (urging people to buy it now, rather than wait because they are afraid their cars won't get some of the new goodies). But to answer your question, I think it's too damn early to talk about a second generation just yet.

Mari0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
Dang Lad

Drives: Asphalt MT FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I think the price point of this car and the interest in it makes it much more likely to get a 2nd generation. Heck, they're already planning the convertible which speaks well to the potential. There's all the rumors about a 4-door as well.
Dang Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
FakeWhiteMan
Back From The Dead

Drives: Hot Lava FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to FakeWhiteMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikostC View Post
Just as the topic name suggests, do you think the FRS/ BRZ twins will have a second generation. I know Toyota will try to update the car each year to keep interest in the car, but considering how almost all sports cars have been axed: Honda S2000, Nissan 240sx, Mazda RX-8, Acura NSX, Toyota Supra, Toyota MR-2, Toyota Celica GT-S.. Which was similar to the FRS because Yamaha worked with them on the engine and it and it only weighed 2500lbs ... I seriously doubt it but if they do, I dont see them doing anything to the engine as they have already put loads of money into R&D for this thing.
Discuss I'd like to see what you guys have to say.
There was more than 1 generation to a lot of those cars...

But it's all going to depend on how well it sells. With that said, I can't see why there wouldn't be a second generation if the car is anywhere near as good as all of the reviews have made it out to be.
FakeWhiteMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #6
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I could see this car going through a 10-15 yr production cycle. How the model updates go in between then will be on the Toyota/Subaru designers.

They could make it even nicer the current FR-S/BRZ or make it worse.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #7
NikostC
JDM Enthusiast

Drives: Scion tC
Thats true it might get worse with emissions and crash tests getting stricter they might even make less power or heavier. I see what you mean with the longer production cycle since they will update it yearly.
NikostC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #8
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
It all depends on demand and competition. It's not even worth thinking about right now IMO as this car is just now coming out. It's hard to say how popular it will be and how long it will sell. Manufacturers are keeping models around for much longer now adays though. Back in the 90's they had a 4 year cycle for most sports cars and motorcycles but now they are at least 6 years with minor changes in between. So I'm sure we'll see some changes and variants of it over the years but as to a completely new successor, it doesn't matter ATM. This car is great for modern day standards. If technology changes enough in 6-10 years, and if the demand is still there (and the world hasn't blown up), then they will likely make a new one.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:07 PM   #9
dori.
Seņor Member

Drives: white BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I think this car will last for at least 7-8 years and get a refresh a la S4/S5 FC or AP1/AP2 S2k a little more than halfway through. They did R&D on a fresh chassis so I would think they'd want to make some money on it.
dori. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #10
Exhaust
UCanThrottleMyBody

Drives: 2015 GM 370z Sport
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Questions like these as previous posters have mentioned all depend solely on sales. I would rule out the competition aspect, but if competition were to arise that creates demand for improvement. Think Apple & Microsoft. I could see this car going on for a very, very long time.. but it also depends what is released later on down the line that may be a whole new beast altogether swaying BRZ/FRS fans entirely.
Exhaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:56 PM   #11
WhiteGDB

Drives: Civic Si sedan
If they do, it should be after 5-6 yrs. Use the current chassis as the platform and make a new body, interior, and tweaks to chassis and drivetrain. I think doing just refreshes a la S2000/RX8 won't be enough and people will view them as 8-10yr old technology and styling, while their competition has all new models.
WhiteGDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:45 AM   #12
Moto-P

Drives: Many types of cars in R&D.
Thanked 3,058 Times in 568 Posts
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Garage
Most definitely yes, but how much better depends on your definition of 'better.'
I would suspect more power as they refine the engine more with future technologies, and in keeping with driving pleasure,
and with safety in mind, and any other regulatory things that may need to be updated.
But like any car and any era... Better can mean a lot of things. We miss the old AE86 for the same reasons,
in that it is worse in performance, less efficient, more archaic, but is simpler, cheaper to maintain, and nostalgically has charms that will never be achievable in today's much more strictly regulated automotive rules.

Waiting for a better model might seem like a neat concept, but in all that time, one will miss out on the opportunity to drive one of the most fun car TODAY.
Consulting Member at Cusco, OEM+, RS-R.
www.club4ag.com
Moto-P is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moto-P For This Useful Post:
MattR (05-25-2012), Prava (05-25-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 03:08 AM   #13
Prava
Insegrevious Member

Drives: Raven FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Definitely. Why wouldn't they?

"Character is who you are when nobody is looking."
Club4AG | Micro Image | Solar Shade | FRS86

Prava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Prava For This Useful Post:
Moto-P (05-25-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 04:09 AM   #14
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
-The 240SX had a couple generations didnt it last until like 1995 or so and became a notchback instead of a hatch?
-The Supra had 4 generations of itself (not counting it being a part of the Celica...which leads me to the Celica)
-The Celica lasted 7 generations (which was more or less replaced by the tC which is on its second generation)
-MR2 i think lasted 2 or 3 generations
-RX8 really only had 1 generation with a facelift, but if you count it as a spiritual successor to the RX7....
-S2000 had 2 generations i guess (i dunno if it actually counts as a generation) which the second one went from a 2.0L engine to a 2.2L engine.
-NSX....well it lasted a long time, and had a facelift which removed the popup lights and replaced it with the fixed lights. I dont think much was changed over the years however.
-Miata has had what 3 or 4 generations now?
-The Genesis coupe kind of sort of replaced the Tiburon which had a couple generations.
-And the 350Z is on its second generation (370z) midcycle facelift.

I dont think this is a 1 and done car.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote