follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 05:39 PM   #29
Yui-Chan

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The Vortech looks nice because it looks more oem: black sc, black intercooler, also the pipe leading to the TB is hard as compared to the JR's soft silicone which appears to be flexing and buldging in YouTube vids under revs.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:04 PM   #30
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui-Chan View Post
The Vortech looks nice because it looks more oem: black sc, black intercooler, also the pipe leading to the TB is hard as compared to the JR's soft silicone which appears to be flexing and buldging in YouTube vids under revs.
The Kevlar silicon pipe has been replaced with a black aluminum pipe. The update is available to all JRSC owners free of charge.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Yui-Chan (08-29-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 07:51 PM   #31
Yui-Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
The Kevlar silicon pipe has been replaced with a black aluminum pipe. The update is available to all JRSC owners free of charge.
How did you find the installation? Any small problems (any minor hacking, jerry rigging, fitment, unclear instructions)?

I watched savagegeese's YouTube review on the Vortech kit..and, it seems he ran into many problems regarding fitment, instructions, and such. I know they are minor, but I'd rather get the kit which is better in those regards. It's an old video review too and he's one of the first to install it, so I'm sure there has been revisions to the kit. So, wondering if the JR kit is a better install.

Innovate is attractive too since it's much simpler being a classic twin screw manifold like a hot rod. But I think I would prefer the higher end output of the JR rather than the lower end grunt of the Innovate. I'm unsure.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:03 PM   #32
CSG David

Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
How did you find the installation? Any small problems (any minor hacking, jerry rigging, fitment, unclear instructions)?

I watched savagegeese's YouTube review on the Vortech kit..and, it seems he ran into many problems regarding fitment, instructions, and such. I know they are minor, but I'd rather get the kit which is better in those regards. It's an old video review too and he's one of the first to install it, so I'm sure there has been revisions to the kit. So, wondering if the JR kit is a better install.

Innovate is attractive too since it's much simpler being a classic twin screw manifold like a hot rod. But I think I would prefer the higher end output of the JR rather than the lower end grunt of the Innovate. I'm unsure.
Easiest SC kit to install with little to no cutting/drilling required. The only cutting is a suggestion, not a necessity, which is for the alternator cover. Most, if not all of us, have just unbolted the cover and left it bare. We've been tracking with the kit for the past 9 months without any issues. The cover is there so you don't put things in rotating assemblies. We've also installed the kits for multiple clients. None have developed any issues.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CSG David For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (09-03-2014), rs999 (08-30-2014), Yui-Chan (08-29-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 09:15 PM   #33
CSG Mike

Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:

You really should just address the owner's thread; it pretty much sums up everyone's experience.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
cdrazic93 (08-29-2014), Yui-Chan (08-29-2014)
Old 08-30-2014, 10:18 AM   #34
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Vortech looks real nice too. But it's similar to the JR (both centrifugal), so the choice is even harder now lol.
I personally don't like the JR kit because of how the piping is routed.

They run the same blower as the Kraftwerks kit, but how they mount it means running funky piping.

Jackson Racing:

Kraftwerks:
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
s2d4 (08-31-2014)
Old 08-30-2014, 12:16 PM   #35
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post

They run the same blower as the Kraftwerks kit, but how they mount it means running funky piping.
Doesn't matter as the KW kit isn't CARB legal at this time.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:32 PM   #36
rs999

Drives: VW MK6 GTI | 13 Mustang GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
Doesn't matter as the KW kit isn't CARB legal at this time.
If I got the Jackson kit I'd get rid of the elbow air filter and just put a short cone directly on the front of the SC. That would make for a slightly cleaner install look.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:09 PM   #37
Yui-Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post

Jackson Racing:

Kraftwerks:
I see whatcha mean. Hks' piping is funky too. But those 2 kits aren't CARB anyways. The JR piping design looks sufficient in terms of smooth flow'y bends anyways.

Some advantages I see with the JR layout over the KW...filter change/cleaning won't require bumper removal and the KW appears to maybe use extra pullies and brackets (more weight and complication) since it's pushed more forward away from the belt system.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:14 PM   #38
Sellout
Mr. Cranky Pants

Drives: 2013 Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
^Interesting perspective. Most people tend to think that a dedicated belt for the supercharger is a positive, not the other way around

Like someone else already mentioned though, it's not CARB approved yet, so JR is the go to kit if you're buying right now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sellout For This Useful Post:
wparsons (08-30-2014)
Old 08-30-2014, 04:24 PM   #39
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs999 View Post
If I got the Jackson kit I'd get rid of the elbow air filter and just put a short cone directly on the front of the SC. That would make for a slightly cleaner install look.
You'd move it away from the hole that directs air at the filter, plus a filter that short probably wouldn't flow a whole lot of air...
The Following User Says Thank You to Poodles For This Useful Post:
wparsons (08-30-2014)
Old 08-30-2014, 06:10 PM   #40
enivid

Drives: WRB JR BRZED
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sellout View Post
^Interesting perspective. Most people tend to think that a dedicated belt for the supercharger is a positive, not the other way around
It is a positive if you are using the KW kit since some of their users have already snapped belts. However I am not aware of any snapped belts with the JR kit.
The Following User Says Thank You to enivid For This Useful Post:
Poodles (08-30-2014)
Old 08-30-2014, 06:47 PM   #41
Yui-Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG David View Post
Easiest SC kit to install with little to no cutting/drilling required. The only cutting is a suggestion, not a necessity, which is for the alternator cover. Most, if not all of us, have just unbolted the cover and left it bare. We've been tracking with the kit for the past 9 months without any issues. The cover is there so you don't put things in rotating assemblies. We've also installed the kits for multiple clients. None have developed any issues.
This is all very good to know:: zero known installation and part fitment problems, and zero known reliability and quality issues.

A big plus is that you CSG guys have been thoroughly testing its DURABILTY at the track for that long...in addition to Jackson Racing testing and developing it at the track as well (I read they participated in some ENDURANCE! events with it...that says a lot!). Can't really say the same for anyone else.

I've been a fan of JR and their road race Hondas and products since they first started.

These reasons pretty much make the decision easy in choosing my SC/FI kit. Hint: it's not innovate, vortech, kw, hks or any other non-CARB offerings.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:10 PM   #42
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by enivid View Post
It is a positive if you are using the KW kit since some of their users have already snapped belts. However I am not aware of any snapped belts with the JR kit.
At least with the KW kit if the belt snaps you aren't stranded. With the JR kit you're dead in the water if the belt snaps.
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
glamcem (09-04-2014)

Closed Thread