follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 08-07-2016, 07:25 PM   #3585
etc

Drives: '13 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks, one more

Went for the initial est drive. Keeping under 2000 rpm there is the whine that I expected but also an undefind burble, grinding (low frequency) or something. You can hear it in the video here especially when I throttle off. Is this normal?

Maybe just intake noise that is suppressed by the stock intake.

https://goo.gl/photos/g22wjwnjvJvhJ2f18

Last edited by etc; 08-07-2016 at 07:54 PM.
etc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:55 PM   #3586
ApolloSki
Stealth

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc View Post
Thanks, one more

Went for the initial est drive. Keeping under 2000 rpm there is the whine that I expected but also an undefind burble, grinding (low frequency) or something. You can hear it in the video here especially when I throttle off. Is this normal?

Maybe just intake noise that is suppressed by the stock intake.

https://goo.gl/photos/g22wjwnjvJvhJ2f18
From your video, everything sounds normal.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:49 AM   #3587
etc

So I am going back and forth convincing myself this is normal and I am used to the quiet stock intake and convincing myself it is critical and bearing related.

When I am on little to no throttle, I get a burbling sound, kind of like what you hear when you are drinking from a straw but there is nothing but ice left. I think this video captures it a little better:
https://goo.gl/photos/zjyaRhjhEfX3AfHy6

I am going to try and get someone to take a look but in the meantime if anyone here can chime in it may ease my mind
Old 08-09-2016, 02:57 AM   #3588
SHWNBRZ

Drives: '08 MX5 6MT & '15 BRZ Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Check under your hood. See if f the piping is all in place.
SHWNBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:33 AM   #3589
etc

I have looked it all over and it looks right to me. Is there anything in particular I should look for?
I can try just loosening and resetting a bunch of the clamps.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:33 AM   #3590
JDMChris

Drives: 2016
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to JDMChris
I don't hear anything out of the ordinary.
JDMChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:08 PM   #3591
etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMChris View Post
I don't hear anything out of the ordinary.
Ya when I listened to the video again this morning I couldn't either. If I am not wearing good headphones it just gets lost in the background of the video. This also makes me think maybe it is normal and all of the other videos I have watched online don't have it for the same reason.

I definitely still hear it in person though, I will get someone to check it out in person. Trying to get an appointment with CSG Mike, he is a busy man

I started playing with "Torque Pro" on my way to work today and it goes away when I get under a certain value in vacuum (maybe around -10) and is gone when in boost. So I am leaning towards BPV related issue but I feel I am just guessing now.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:35 PM   #3592
JDMChris

Drives: 2016
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to JDMChris
It is definitely not the Bypass Valve. If anything, it is something not tightened all the way. Everyone so far that has sworn it was the bypass valve, has been wrong.

Last edited by JDMChris; 08-09-2016 at 05:13 PM.
JDMChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:49 PM   #3593
SHWNBRZ

Can you hear it from the outside?
Old 08-09-2016, 05:38 PM   #3594
Apex_BRZ

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (WRB)
I just finished reading every page of this topic, and am leaning toward a Jackson Racing kit over the winter. Will go perfectly with he JR. Oil Cooler I already have. Numerous people have reported loose clamps, oil leaks, wrong line locations, and incorrect reservoir levels. I'm a simple guy when it comes to track use, so I'm not a fan of additional points of failure.

I'm curious, why did Jackson Racing choose to go with a blower unit that needed an external reservoir? My assumption is that they found under track testing that the Rotrex oil gets too hot and had to be externally cooled (hence the cooler)? Why did they go with the Rotrex over the self contained Vortech?
Apex_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:02 PM   #3595
Jackson Racing

Drives: JR FR-S,
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex_BRZ View Post
I just finished reading every page of this topic, and am leaning toward a Jackson Racing kit over the winter. Will go perfectly with he JR. Oil Cooler I already have. Numerous people have reported loose clamps, oil leaks, wrong line locations, and incorrect reservoir levels. I'm a simple guy when it comes to track use, so I'm not a fan of additional points of failure.

I'm curious, why did Jackson Racing choose to go with a blower unit that needed an external reservoir? My assumption is that they found under track testing that the Rotrex oil gets too hot and had to be externally cooled (hence the cooler)? Why did they go with the Rotrex over the self contained Vortech?
The installation errors you mentioned are just that, installation error. We can only warn people via the instruction manual so many times to tighten all hose clamps and check to make sure you have connected all lines properly. Unfortunately, customers have connected oil lines backwards or failed to put traction fluid in their oiling system. It is rare and a bummer when we get that call, but yes, it has happened. Far less than the internet would make you believe though.

We have been Rotrex US distributors for over 10 years now and the Rotrex has always ran a self contained oiling system and an external oil cooler. This is the best way to keep the traction fluid functioning properly. The Rotrex traction fluid is an important piece to the patented "Ramp Effect" and the traction drive system. This also allows the Rotrex unit to operate at low temperatures and not overheat.

I agree on limiting points of failure. With the tracking and racing we do, we want to be focused on what matters at the track; checking chassis and tire pressure settings, dropping our times, and ultimately winning. With our SCCA Super Touring FR-S and our ESR 25 Hours of Thunderhill car that has run the Rotrex twice now, we are focused on track conditions and racing the track. Rotrex oil levels are not on our minds.

Once you have properly setup your Rotrex oiling system during your installation, it becomes a non issue. I check my Rotrex level at engine oil changes (sometimes ) and do the 2 year/50,000 mile Rotrex fluid change.

-Oscar Jr.
Jackson Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:42 PM   #3596
etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHWNBRZ View Post
Can you hear it from the outside?
Funny you should ask, I have had trouble doing that. I can't seem to reproduce it in my garage where I get a lot of echo of the outside sound. I had my wife revving it for me (ugh I miss cable driven throttles sometimes) a bit while standing outside with the hood open and couldn't reproduce it. But it happens 100% of the time when driving around.

Possibly sound traveling through the chassis? One of the first things I checked was to see if any of the piping was in contact with the chassis though and I couldn't see any. I think I really need to take a look under the bumper though I haven't yet since it is a pain.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:41 PM   #3597
etc

So I got CSG Mike to give it a look over. He doesn't hear anything out of the ordinary either and my SC looks good. A little louder whine than some he has seen so I will keep an eye on that but that is good news for my track day this weekend.

I will keep hunting for the source of the noise slowing driving me crazy though, or just get an exhaust to cover it up.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:41 PM   #3598
SHWNBRZ

Good to hear that everything sounds fine dude.

FYI, you're not the only one who thinks that they heard that burbling/grinding noise". A buddy of mine asked about it maybe 3 months ago when he first drove my car after getting the Kit on about 3k miles before. I couldn't hear it myself at the time....he then said "maybe I'm just hearing things...."