follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #15
Celica00

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
I'd like to hear how this catback is with the catted Perrin front/over pipes. I bet I would be real happy with that since I already got used to the GReddy Evo 3 volume which definitely can gather attention fast.
what made you want to swap out the GReddy?
Celica00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:27 PM   #16
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celica00 View Post
what made you want to swap out the GReddy?
I was too sensitive to the 3K drone which was right at my highway cruising speed. The volume was not a problem for me - loved it, in fact, but at prolonged cruises I was getting a headache. I mentioned in other posts that some people are more sensitive to this type of thing than others. I wish I wasn't one of the sensitive ones as everything else about the Evo 3 was fantastic.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #17
Celica00

Quote:
I was too sensitive to the 3K drone which was right at my highway cruising speed. The volume was not a problem for me - loved it, in fact, but at prolonged cruises I was getting a headache. I mentioned in other posts that some people are more sensitive to this type of thing than others. I wish I wasn't one of the sensitive ones as everything else about the Evo 3 was fantastic.
I can understand that. Anything much louder than the perrin I have now would definitely be too much.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #18
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celica00 View Post
I can understand that. Anything much louder than the perrin I have now would definitely be too much.
Do you have plans to install the Perrin Overpipe at some point? Since you already replaced the front, you've already crossed the Rubicon as far as emissions are concerned. Might as well go all out, no?
Old 01-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #19
Celica00

Quote:
Do you have plans to install the Perrin Overpipe at some point? Since you already replaced the front, you've already crossed the Rubicon as far as emissions are concerned. Might as well go all out, no?
yes, but the installation of the overpipe requires lifting the motor a 1/2 inch or so i've been told (not required per se, but really helps make install easier). which scares me even though i'm sure its not as hard as it sounds.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #20
Mobius357

Drives: '15 WRX '13 Legacy '07 Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Something's wrong with your install. How much did your torque the bolts and the vbands? Make sure its not rubbing on anything? I thought I recall someone saying that they had some rubbing on the automatic transmission, but they were able to get rid of it.
It was the v-band on the muffler. I redid all the joints, and while I was at it, found a bit of weld spatter on the muffler flange. Adjusted the band to clear the spatter (don't have any files handy) and everything was good. The car sounds much better, none of that booming drone under load, almost sounds stock puttering around until I give it some throttle.

Next gremlin to squash...Back edge of the head liner buzzing.
Mobius357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #21
HatchetBurial

Drives: Subaru BRZ SWP Limited MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I have no drone whatsoever on the Perrin non-resonated catback. And believe me, I know what drone is (I had the GReddy Evo 3 before this).

No rasp, no vibrations, nice quiet deep exhaust note at idle.
Hey foobar! Where in NY are you located? I would love to hear this exhaust in person.
HatchetBurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #22
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchetBurial View Post
Hey foobar! Where in NY are you located? I would love to hear this exhaust in person.
Long Island, just east of the Nassau/Suffolk border on the North Shore. You're welcome to check it out if I'm close to you.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:47 AM   #23
HatchetBurial

Quote:
Long Island, just east of the Nassau/Suffolk border on the North Shore. You're welcome to check it out if I'm close to you.
Oh okay, it wouldn't be a bad drive then. I'm over in Queens so I figure around an hour or less. I'm having trouble deciding between non resonated and resonated so I'm definitely interested in checking it out. Did you do any other mods aside from the exhaust that may have changed the sound of the exhaust at all?
Old 01-21-2013, 08:10 AM   #24
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchetBurial View Post
Oh okay, it wouldn't be a bad drive then. I'm over in Queens so I figure around an hour or less. I'm having trouble deciding between non resonated and resonated so I'm definitely interested in checking it out. Did you do any other mods aside from the exhaust that may have changed the sound of the exhaust at all?
Yeah, as far as mods that would change the sound, I've got the AFe/Takeda Intake and ECUTek tune, but these are things you would probably be planning on getting anyway. Let me know if you find someone with a resonated system, maybe we can drive out somewhere and do a side-by-side comparison.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #25
HatchetBurial

Quote:
Yeah, as far as mods that would change the sound, I've got the AFe/Takeda Intake and ECUTek tune, but these are things you would probably be planning on getting anyway. Let me know if you find someone with a resonated system, maybe we can drive out somewhere and do a side-by-side comparison.
Oh alright, sounds like a nice set up man. I do plan on getting an ecutek tune from fa20club but I'm still on the fence about installing an intake (the takeda would be on my list if I do). Setting up a comparison with someone who has the resonated system is a great idea though. I'll see if I can find someone.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #26
sieeegel

Drives: rsx was stolen :(
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I'm selling a non resonated midpipe for 150 if anyone is interested. Too loud for my girlfriends liking. Pm me if interested
sieeegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:03 AM   #27
Tylub

Drives: Raven Black FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The can also vouch for the no drone as I have the non resonated catback with overpipe and catted front pipe.

At first, the mechanic didn't tighten everything good enough and wooooo boy... lots of exhaust leak and I was sad that my system sounded like that

lifted the car and loosened, and tightened everything to my liking and all the "drone" exhaust leak sound poofed away. more driving down the line coated the pipes with exhaust soot and it's perfect now.

almost stock rumble at idle and cruising on highway, barely audible. I hear my tires more than my exhaust! unless I'm stepping on it of course

instagram @Tylub
Mods: Tomei UELs, Tomei OP, Perrin Catted FP, ARK DT-S, Perrin LW Crank Pulley, Enkei RPF1, RSR Sporti, Supertek Intake Tube, Perrin CAI, Stoptech SS lines/brakes/slotted rotors, Cusco MCB brace/Strut Bar
Tylub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:36 AM   #28
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieeegel View Post
I'm selling a non resonated midpipe for 150 if anyone is interested. Too loud for my girlfriends liking. Pm me if interested
Try retorquing everything to spec first. Sounds like you might have a leak.

The non resonated pipe is pretty quiet if tightened properly. There have been a few reports of loud systems turning out to be loose bands or bolts.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2