follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
Coaster

Drives: Civic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Mods vs possible BRZ STI

If I were to get aftermarket exhaust, intake, ECU tune and header. Would that be a better alternative than a possible future BRZ turbo release by Subaru? I'm looking for about 250-270 HP. I hope that can be extracted from the 2.0 Liter engine. The mods appear to be cheaper than a possible $30K+ BRZ STI. For example the WRX STI is way more than the base WRX.

I've never modded a car before.
How would these mods effect reliability.
I've been reading these forums for a while.
Thanks.
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
I don't think you are going to see 250-270HP out of this car with bolt on mods, unless one of those bolt ons is a turbo or supercharger. I'm guessing optimistically 240HP is about where things would peak out with I/H/E/tune given what I've seen thus far, which is ~30-35whp from all of those mods combined.

No one knows quite yet how it will affect reliability but from the tuners perspectives I've read, I think the car could be reliable with those mods. They aren't doing crazy things to eek out power like running super lean or anything.

You could always make a WRX into an STi-like package but it's not quite the same. I don't think the bump in price is going to be quite as high with a BRZ STi, mainly because they will probably end up using the same transmission. Going to the 6MT/DCCD from the 5MT in the WRX is a big upgrade. I think with a BRZ STi you'll see basically the same car except with a bump in power and maybe some 4-pot brakes (even though they aren't needed) and different wheels/body styling. I'm guessing it will be $2-3K more even if they decide to turbo it.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
UncleFester

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
My guess would be at least a $5k bump in price with roughly a $35k price point. It depends on how aggressive they get with it, and if they want to sell a few units for more cash or more units for less cash. Plus it would match other options that are currently or planned to be available.

Of course it's widely speculated they will build one, but we don't really know anything yet.
UncleFester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
mike2100

Drives: 23 BRZ
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
I wouldn't worry about reliability of those specific mods as long as you go with a respected aftermarket company.

I think there has been some talk at the executive level about a future BRZ turbo, but personally I think the STI will be a lightweight N/A.
There will probably be plenty of people replying with supporting and counter arguments so I guess my point is I would just buy the car right now rather than waiting. You will not regret it, even if the STI comes out and it's exactly what you want. I think the resale on these will be pretty good so if you really wanted to later on you could just trade it in!

As far as 250-270 (crankshaft) hp... It's starting to look like that range will be achievable N/A. I think 240-250 is possible with your list of mods but cams and other tricks will be required to get anywhere near 270.

If that much power is good enough for you I'd buy the car now. If you think you may want to go with BIG horsepower later on, then take your chances and wait. Or buy one now and pay for a turbo kit. There are a few in development. So yeah, there really is no reason to wait
mike2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
mike2100

Drives: 23 BRZ
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleFester View Post
My guess would be at least a $5k bump in price with roughly a $35k price point. It depends on how aggressive they get with it, and if they want to sell a few units for more cash or more units for less cash. Plus it would match other options that are currently or planned to be available.

Of course it's widely speculated they will build one, but we don't really know anything yet.
I agree with 35k, even though it's likely they use the same tranny and the fact it already has LSD.
I think there are 2 possibilities with the STI:
1) turbo, 18" wheels, bigger brakes
2) Slight bump in N/A power, lots of lightweight parts

Both will have aggressive body styling and STI specific interior appointments/logos.
mike2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
Motopythons
Let it rain!

Drives: 2012 Subaru Imprezza
Think of it this way: how will a BRZ STI affect the Subaru line up, particularly the WRX?

only two possibilities:

1. they position it above the WRX performance wise. Which would see a significant price jump positioned to be higher than the highest non-STI trim WRX, but will beat WRX's performance in terms of lap times. Let say about 250HP with turbo and stickier tires, functional body work. Highly unlikely in my opinion.

2. they go the lazy route and just gives it minor / mostly cosmetic upgrades that aren't so functional... then expect maybe 20 hp more non-turbo. This will be priced below the highest non-STI WRX trim. By keeping its performance below the WRX, subaru can ensure there're less cross shopping between the two. Unfortunately, I think this will be the route they'll take if they ever decided on a BRZ STI.

Of course, a lot will depend on the new WRX/STi that supposedly will be coming out in 2013, how it performs, and what kinda power and gadgetry it will have. I'm sure they will try to sell it as a technologically advance product whereas the BRZ will remain a more old school "pure driving" type car.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
Chewie4299
Spaceman

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
BRZ TRD!

Supahchahge it!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Chewie4299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
titusdrake
ex-First 86

Drives: 2013 Mustang
Learn to mod yourself. Its way more fun and you get to know your car better

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
titusdrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopythons View Post
Think of it this way: how will a BRZ STI affect the Subaru line up, particularly the WRX?

only two possibilities:

1. they position it above the WRX performance wise. Which would see a significant price jump positioned to be higher than the highest non-STI trim WRX, but will beat WRX's performance in terms of lap times. Let say about 250HP with turbo and stickier tires, functional body work. Highly unlikely in my opinion.

2. they go the lazy route and just gives it minor / mostly cosmetic upgrades that aren't so functional... then expect maybe 20 hp more non-turbo. This will be priced below the highest non-STI WRX trim. By keeping its performance below the WRX, subaru can ensure there're less cross shopping between the two. Unfortunately, I think this will be the route they'll take if they ever decided on a BRZ STI.

Of course, a lot will depend on the new WRX/STi that supposedly will be coming out in 2013, how it performs, and what kinda power and gadgetry it will have. I'm sure they will try to sell it as a technologically advance product whereas the BRZ will remain a more old school "pure driving" type car.
As Canadians, Subaru Canada's pricing screws with our perpective on the 'hierarchy' of the Subaru line up.

The BRZ and WRX in the US are basically positioned as equals, given the $100 difference in starting pricing. So there would be nothing wrong with a BRZ STI being of similar performance to the WRX STI...

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #10
quik1987

Drives: Bugatti Veyron
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
quik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #11
r1eater

Drives: 370Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2100 View Post
I wouldn't worry about reliability of those specific mods as long as you go with a respected aftermarket company.
except nothing beats factory warranty. I'd rather have performance thats factory warrantied vs getting near that performance via aftermarket and not having a warranty.
r1eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #12
arghx7

Drives: car
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Kinda hard to compare a bunch of unproven aftermarket parts and some vaporware version from Subaru
arghx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to arghx7 For This Useful Post:
Dimman (07-07-2012)
Old 07-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #13
dabocx

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
The question is are you willing to wait for what could be vaporware. The STI version was a concept but never confirmed so its hard to know if it will come out and when.

It could be next week, it could be 3 years from now with a refresh. Or it could just be factory addons. Its all in the air.
dabocx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dabocx For This Useful Post:
Cessblood (07-09-2012)
Old 07-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #14
Thunderchicken

Drives: 2008 STi
The STi/TRD version is going to have revised throttle body, heads, exhaust, brakes, wheels, and interior/exterior. With all the changes it will rev. closer to 8000-8500 rpm and have hp rating of about 250 N/A and lighter than the standard BRZ/FR-S.

No Turbo... Tubro charging of the FA20 is reserved for the WRX and WRX/STi
Thunderchicken is offline   Reply With Quote